Google Nexus phones are vulnerable to rebooting via SMS attack
0. phoneArena 29 Nov 2013, 13:54 posted on
A vulnerability has been found that seems to only affect Google Nexus devices, although it isn't exactly all that serious of a vulnerability. The issue was found by Bogdan Alecu, a system administrator at Dutch IT services company Levi9, and presented at the DefCamp security conference in Bucharest, Romania today. The issue can lead to Nexus phones rebooting via an SMS attack...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
They would need to know your phone number and to know you have a nexus for this to work... Seems like it's not much of an issue.
14. jos_031 (Posts: 60; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
trolling my house mate sending flash message to his nexus 5 after aeeing the news
2. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
aha. i didnt know why i dont like nexi until i saw this!!
6. Finalflash (Posts: 2695; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
No, the way he's talking I think the case is of him being pushed down the stairs....alas all attempts failed to yield a permanent solution to the problem of his existence.
10. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I had never considered that angle.
That made me chuckle.
4. zekes (Posts: 229; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
Oh no more security issues not surprised this is the freedom of open source you could have any virus on your phone for free
11. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
The potential really is for malware, which is a sideload issue, which all are susceptible to really there Skippy.
Honestly your the type I'd suspect of getting a virus if not protected from your usage/habits.
12. sprockkets (Posts: 1611; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
He's more susceptible to the viruses transmitted through other means...
8. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1230; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
I'm not even sure what this means so I'm not too worried.
9. Tsoliades (Posts: 228; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
Basically, if you know how to do it, you can send a few texts to a Nexus phone and freeze it. Not a big deal.
13. cripton805 (Posts: 1392; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Basically if you have jerks for friends, they can spam you with 30+ flash messages and freeze/reboot your phone. I say that because it would have to be someone you know since this only works on Nexus devices. People arent going to send texts to random numbers wondering if they have a Nexus. Not much of a prank if it doesnt work.