Google Nexus One becomes the first PhoneSat in orbit
0. phoneArena 27 Feb 2013, 21:55 posted on
It seems like something that should have been studied long before now, but Surrey Satellite Technology and the University of Surrey's Surrey Space Centre has decided to look at how off-the-shelf electronics fare with the harsh world of space. With that in mind, the group has put the Google Nexus One into orbit, making the phone the first PhoneSat to be in orbit...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. yyuu1000 (Posts: 163; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
that apple might get angry but yay for google
3. BattleBrat (Posts: 1301; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
To go where no phone has gone before!...
4. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
why not google nexus 4 instead? it's more advanced ..
6. Gawain (Posts: 405; Member since: 15 Apr 2010)
/British-satellite-will-be-controlled-by-Google-Nexus-One_id39581That was prelaunch though glad it made it into orbit.
7. hepresearch (unregistered)
What I can't understand here is how they will heat the thing enough to keep the electronics from failing immediately in the vacuum temperature of space. I couldn't get half of the Nokia's to work at just 50,000 feet tethered to a weather balloon. Maybe it houses a sealed, heated, pressurized environment inside those 10 centimeters cubed?
8. windroid (unregistered)
Sealed, cold protected by aerogel and gold foil, heated by its own operation (Joule effect).
12. hepresearch (unregistered)
9. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Knowing that an Android was put to sucha great use gives me an awesome feeling.
Anyone else feeling the tingles? xD
10. Tux_Alan (Posts: 74; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
The whole thing behind using a phone as a satellite will make lots of sense if we get better satellite launching options in the near future, would make small buisnesses and research projects be able to produce their own satellites at a relatively reasonable cost.
11. yougotkilled1 (Posts: 167; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
The first phone to have a 1ghz processor, first phone to set the bar for android, and the first phone to enter space. Awesome!