Google Nexus D concept phone has all of the curves
0. phoneArena 09 Aug 2012, 15:04 posted on
A mock-up of a concept phone called the Google Nexus D shows a curvy handset with a kickstand; designed by Dorian Lust, the model was conceived to have a quad-core 1.8GHz processor and 1.5GB of RAM...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
51. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
if this phone is with 4th generation snapdragon with adreno 320, then WOW. just.. WOW. make that 1.5GB of ram to 2 to make it better.
55. The_Innovation (Posts: 609; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Since it's becoming a standard (S3 already has it), why not just throw in 2GB or ram in there? Oh except for the iPhone. They've managed to reach 1GB....hooray! *Changes everything...Again* *People go hysterical*
56. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
57. The_Innovation (Posts: 609; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Do you remember about 3 years ago when the Apple commercial went something like...
"Introducing the 'new' iPhone 3GS. Now, record live video, straight from your phone."
WOW, amazing innovation right? In the year 2010 lol
61. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
yep. LOL, hahaha as always, SOOOO REVOLUTIONARY!. :)))
2. JeffreyMDoran (Posts: 9; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Sex on fire minus the colors on the side
6. Aeires (unregistered)
Color that with red LED's and I'd be interested.
10. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
1. Why so much different colour details?
2. What is purpose of concave display?
3. What is purpose of two "bumps" on the stand?
Sorry, but I don't like. :(
16. TuTall76 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I would think the purpose of the "bumps" on the stand would be to keep the phone from rocking when it's on its back.
18. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Nice notice! :)
But I don't see logics in this concept, why make convex body if it keeps phone rocking when it is on back and then there is two "bumps" on kickstand to avoid rocking.
In other words one inconvenience to avoid other inconvenience...
44. ECPirate37 (Posts: 195; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
My guess would be that it is convex to feel better in one's hand. Yet, when placed down on a surface it would rock. So they put the bumps to stop that. Therefore, giving the best of both worlds. I'm not positive though. I think we should wait to judge until we hold one in our hands.
29. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
You can color the notifications anything you want so they could be red if you liked. I'm working on the Farmer phone now otherwise i'd render you a red one.
The curved body fits nicer in my front pocket against my leg and is nicer to hold. I also think the curved glass will reduce how many reflection you see in the glass. And yes the it will either sit on the light pipes on the face or the lens protector and the feet so that it's always stable and doesn't scratch the body. That's the idea.
48. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"I also think the curved glass will reduce how many reflection you see in the glass."
In my opinion opposite, it will be even more reflective.
52. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I think concept phones should pack as much ideas together as possable even if it does not necaserraly have ones that will be used. Look at concept cars, they are rediculus somtimes just lik clothes at a fasion show. But what happens is the industry takes ideas that can work out of the concept and incorperat them into a pratical phone. I dont like all the ideas on this phone either and would make a different concept phone my self with all the do dads and gizmos i wish could be on the phone. I wounder if you made it so the screen on the inside bends in a different way so the screen on the outside magnifies the inner screen. I wonder if not only can 3d be mor vivid but maybe make it look like the screen is bigger than it is. So maybe you can get away with a more edge to edg e with out the lcd actualy being closer than it is now to protect from drops but tho outer touch screen does go right to the edge and is easily replacable.
63. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Sorry that I made a bit criticism but hope that it was constructive but I'm really not flaming your concep, great job keep it up! :)
3. greathero1 (Posts: 563; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
The spec side looks good but the damn concept is hideous! And with a capital H!
4. Aeires (unregistered)
Samsung's flexible displays? Not bad, just don't prefer to have that many illuminated notification lights.
7. ajac09 (Posts: 1481; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I like the possible samsung one that was shown a few weeks ago much better
30. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
That was actually the inspiration, I liked that it was cool and an original new shape but I didn't find it ergonomic enough so I decided to come up with something I liked.
8. Mightymack (Posts: 74; Member since: 16 Jul 2010)
its cool. id expect it to look weird for it to be a concept. as long as it doesn't come out like that lol
9. dman72 (Posts: 9; Member since: 10 Mar 2012)
i think it looks very slick, but would a curved screen make it hard to view?
17. TuTall76 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
forget viewing, wouldn't the curved screen make it feel kind of awkward on the ear?
31. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
It's only a 1.5mm curve but maybe. If I had one of those 3D printers I'd make it and find out.
41. lyndon420 (Posts: 4370; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I wouldn't think so as our ears aren't flat. From an acoustic standpoint it might sound better with the curved design.
11. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
not a huge fan. It's not bad but it looks kinda thick which wouldn't be a problem if it was a 4.3-4.5" screen but it's probably meant to be a 4.7"+ screen. Proportionally, that's kinda big.
32. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
about the same as the GNex. You can compare the cross section to the iphone here. I made a comparison just because people had no reference.
54. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Thanks for the reference point. Seems much more doable now. Do you have more specific dimensions like HxWxL? Screen size? I assume the screen is a 16x9 aspect ratio.
65. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
If you're on my G+ page you see an iP4 picture side by side comparison. The screen size is meant to be the same as the GNex. From a size and shape standpoint it is nothing new or outrageous, (don't have the specs with me but you can look them up) it's just curved to feel nicer and reduce glare. I think it's just the color and kickstand that throws people off a bit. But come on, it's not an iPhone so it can come in 20 colors for all I care. This is all about features and what consumers want in their next phone, and hopefully not how poorly or quickly I rendered them.
Thanks for the comments.
12. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I really don't like that design... Bleh
15. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Not new idea, long time ago I was using that on my old Nokia N95 8GB. :)
33. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Yeah, it's not new but what happened to it? It was a cool feature. Bring it back!
19. dsDoan (Posts: 229; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
They took the curve idea too far this time. It was great on the Nexus, but if I set my phone on a table and it rocks side to side, that's too much.
35. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Lots of phones are curved on the back, so they can all possibly rock, this one has the feet on the back so it's steady. On the front face it keeps the screen off the surface so it doesn't get scratched and won't rock there because the two edges with the light pipes are straight.
22. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I would rather it didn't have the kickstand... The other design looked so much better
37. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
I sort of agree, i think the one i rendered with the plastic kickstand blended in more but everyone wanted it metal so I did a metal one but it stands out too much.
24. Sydus1 (Posts: 6; Member since: 03 Jun 2012)
I Like this Idea alot. Im a fan of the lights for texts, mainly because I seem to miss texts more often now. The design is interesting. The curve is awesome for anyone who keeps their phone in their front pocket. I feel the phone will concave around you leg vs stick out like most boxy shaped androids. Im also suped for the quad-core and lazr pointer. :) yes I am a geek
38. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
On my GNex I have light flow for notification colors and sounds but sometimes i don't see the light so i wanted something that was visible face up or face down and half hidden in my cup holder in my car. It could have different colors on each side if there were two notification and they probably wouldn't look as bright as it's shown. I just rendered it bright enough to cast a little glow on the countertop.
25. master0fursinz (Posts: 104; Member since: 26 Apr 2010)
ok i want it only because of the laser pointer lol
26. doublehammer (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
I like the spec sheet.. but damn is that thing ugly.. lol.
39. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
What do you want to see? You just saying you want it black with no kickstand or you don't like the curve? Cuz other than that it's a pretty common shape overall.
27. OSFantasma (Posts: 119; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Good thing is just a concept by a random person i can't see this as practical with that much of a curve.
agreed with above statements this is ugly, I much rather use the Motorola designs for a nexus device with the octagonal shape. like I've been saying, I hope Google chooses to go with the five different manufactures for the next wave of nexus devices. Patiently waiting for that day.... be it 5 nexus devices or 1 either will be suffice..
34. lyndon420 (Posts: 4370; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
A curved back would probably feel much better in the hand...and would 'actually' add to the user experience. Some of these designers spend years on a design and their idea of what feels good in the hand ends up being just a piece of flat glass.
40. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Agreed. I've only got like 6 hours into it and i think it would feel super nice in the hand but until i have a 3D printer i guess i won't know.
43. talon95 (Posts: 546; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Lots of people say they don't like it but they almost never say why or have anything constructive to add. I would change it to make it better but only if you actually have some good ideas. You won't get what you want if all you say is what you don't want.