Google Nexus 5 review Q&A: post your questions here
0. phoneArena 09 Nov 2013, 03:56 posted on
Well, that didn't take long. It has been only a couple of hours since we posted our Google Nexus 5 review, and the comment section below it has already exploded. And we aren't surprised, to be perfectly honest with you. After all, the launch of the Google Nexus 5 was a highly anticipated event, observed by Android geeks and regular Joes alike. And now that the handset is ready for prime time, the crowd is curious to know if the handset delivers the goods...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
33. seban1988 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Does it support USB OTG in software and hardware?. My nexus 4 doesn't power any external memory connected to the microUSB connector, so the hardware doesn't support it. And the same for software, android 4.3 unrooted doesn't have this feature enable.
35. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 199; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
The Play Store says that the 16 GB version is only available for Sprint. Can I buy a 32 GB from the Play Store and activate it through Sprint?
36. takabanana (Posts: 2; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
1. How does battery life compare to Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 3, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S?
2. How does camera quality compare to Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 3, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S?
38. nmarrufo (Posts: 2; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Any way to try popping in an activated Verizon SIM and seeing if it will work on lte and possible cdma voice? I know it probably wont work, but I'd love to see proof.
39. mclifford81 (Posts: 65; Member since: 26 Jan 2010)
Is this phone a step above the LG G2 or a step below? As far as specs go it's almost identical minus the camera and kit kat.
41. procoder (Posts: 10; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
if i buy US version of Nexus 5 D820 will it have problem working in india??
GSM bands are same..we dont have any LTE network?
75. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hi! n5 D820 will only be missing LTE in Asia, Europe, and since India doesn't have LTE network you won't be missing anything. and should work just missing LTE support from that region
43. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Unboxing posted, review posted hours later.....
47. GrapeEyes (Posts: 243; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Hello PhoneArena Crew :) Why do you think google didn't put a sd card slot on the Nexus 5? and why didn't they do a cool presentation of it like Samsung did the Note 3?
99. Quito92 (Posts: 6; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
the reason google hasnt put an sd card slot on their phone since i believe the first nexus is because they want to encourage us to use their cloud servers
48. jacko1977 (Posts: 383; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
does it have folders in the app draw yet if not when :(
74. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hi! using n5 and no you can't create folders in the app drawer.
50. andrejx (Posts: 27; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
what is the sound output on the nexus 5 compared to other devices? not asking about the speaker but the through headphones/earphones quality of sound. the audio chip in s800 SoC is said to be really bad compared to Wolfson's. And I guess is doesnt have an in built amplifier or "improved" audio output like note 3 or something?
and I am beeing really courious about the battery life too. I literally hate my one X just becouse the battery life. it's going like 10% in 10 min of -facebook,web browser,music,wi-fi,other background tasks and multitasking non stop between them)
i would be really glad if someone can answer this two questions :)
73. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hey! im a nexus 5 user only 3 days with me. can't answer the first one, but on the second question i can say that battery life should be as bad as the one X you have there, for me thats a big drawback for this great phone
52. andrejx (Posts: 27; Member since: 28 Oct 2012)
uh! and, why is there no multiwindow option in 4.4. or even an improved multitasking like in g2? does anyone think It will come with an update or something? So many questions :D
111. Ric.B (Posts: 8; Member since: 17 Jun 2013)
I think the QSlide in G2 is only to display the tasks running in the background in a "floating" window as opposed to the standard sliding apps list. I may be wrong but I don't think it does add improvements to the multi-tasking feature of the Android framework.
As for multi-windows, I reckon this is not something that you just built into the OS framework. UIs of existing and new Android apps must be re-designed and coded to support multi-window mode. Good UI design is just finally getting adopted into the Android ecosystem so I think adding a new wrinkle in the design guideline for multi-window experience is not in the Google Android team's high priority list.
If you want multi-window apps in your non-Samsung Note 3 or S4 device, try these apps in the Play Store from MBFG: Overskeen (floating web browser), Stick It (floating video player), and AirCalc (floating calculator). You can also check out the Mini Floating Apps by AshK.
53. alex12 (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
will the american version of the nexus 5 get software updates if in europe and will the mobile network work in europe
57. fistigons (Posts: 262; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
4g speeds won't work because of the bands that the UK uses. But the updates will be available in the UK.
61. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 356; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
How loud are the speakers in comparison to Note II, iPhone 5S, and Nexus 4? (Solely loudness, not quality)
76. Ant34 (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
I got my phone a couple of days ago and that's probably my biggest disappointment. The quality is bad and it's not that loud. It's probably on par with the speakers of the Nexus 4.
62. Samarjeett (Posts: 1; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
Hey pls someone tell me wats the problem wid its screen???
i have seen alot of reviews n in all the review its been said that the scrren is not up to the mark....
63. cenk1303 (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Nov 2013)
Hi..Have you experienced any heat issue while a program or game was running?
71. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hey, im a early nexus 5 user, and to your question i can say that playing asphalt 8 (its free now) with just the first race the back of the n5 gets warm not a big deal there but , when i played the second race right away it got hotter but not unbearable. only the 3/4 of the upper side until the "nexus" logo gets warm/hot the other 1/4 is cool. if you need me to run a certain app/game with more time will be glad to help you.
82. varuntis1993 (Posts: 43; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Hey can you pls install cpu z and tell the temperature of the battery while playing games such as the dead trigger 2 and asphalt 8 when the charger is plugged in and when it is not with game settings to high?
64. SHAFEEQ (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
I Heard somebody saying Nexus 5 will knock out Iphone 5s in benchmark test , it ain't happen why .actually i don't understand how the iphone is scoring more on all benchmark test with just a duel core processor and 1 GB ram and the other contenders have 3 GB ram and octa core Processors , some dip head told me it's because of the perfect optimization. anyone know the exact reason..?
65. j.khan95 (Posts: 32; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Sir my question is why does the n5 show reletively low benchmark numbers despite having a processor similar to note 3 or g2 which are currently rocking the charts
66. RODJOS (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
What company would you want to manufacture the next Nexus smartphone?
70. jove39 (Posts: 1252; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
What is your experience with screen on battery life? Any recommended custom kernel? In single/two active cores ...CPU hits 2.26ghz very quickly...may be if set to 1.5ghz...battery will last longer!
81. GrapeEyes (Posts: 243; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Hi Ray :) Why did Google even bother with a 16GB version? Don't you think times have changed that much with people uploaded movies etc... onto their mobile phones that the basic internal storage should be 64GB.
Also don't you think a Micro SD card slot should be on ever mobile phone, I think it is as important as having a screen on a mobile phone, ok that might be a bit OTT!!
Can you please do a survey regarding what should be the minimum internal storage in a phone?
85. bad_omen (Posts: 4; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
can anyone tell me why is the nexus 5 is so cheap ????
I think the nexus 5 is cheap because it’s made of low quality material, is that true???
And did anyone see the drop test for the nexus 5???
You will think it’s true after you see the video test.
86. Kuttyyyy (Posts: 3; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
M planning 2 buy nexus 5(D 820) from US and gonna use it in india..
Will it work on indian networks...???
88. N-fanboy (Posts: 529; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
Motorola belongs to google, doesn't it? So why isn't Google using it to manufacture the Nexus series?
90. geesanut (Posts: 3; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Does any one know if the Sprint version of the nexus 5 also unlocked and if it will work on other carriers such as t-mobile, or att?
91. sinple (Posts: 98; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
Let's say I play asphalt8 then I toggle out to reply sms and then toggle back to game. Would asphalt resume or restart
92. hrh_fourtyseven (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
what about infrared?
can use it as a remote control ?
94. rishabhkhanduja712 (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Hii Ray, what are your views about Google, not promoting their nexus line up at all, knowing the fact that Nexus 5 has specs that can make it one of the best selling phones of 2013 and 2014!!! thanks
95. Bioload25 (Posts: 189; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Although with the same chipset as the LG G2,Google nexus 5 scored a lot worse in the review comparison...didnt understand why
96. alex12 (Posts: 3; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
will the american version of the nexus 5 work in the EU and will it get updates in the EU
97. toufic_dergham (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
When is it most likely for xperia devices, mainly xperia z, to get android kitkat
101. me0613 (Posts: 10; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
Is the battery of the Nexus 5 really bad since it has a 2300mAh battery but really powerful internals?
104. Amir88 (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)
I live in Iran and I have asked a friend of mine (who's in the US) to buy an unlocked 32GB nexus 5 for me and send it over. According to your website this nexus model should bear the model number D820 (The US version). I still don't know if I can use the phone in Iran or not.
If I am not mistaken, All the phone functions should work properly except the the LTE connectivity. Am I right? Of course we don't have LTE networks in Iran, so I only want to know if I can use all the other functions including 3G.
Should I ask my friend to boot the phone in the US with a local sim card and update it or can I also do that in Iran?
106. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hi! yes you will only be missing LTE, 3g and hspa+ should be usable in Iran. the updates should be received around the world so no problem there.
107. Amir88 (Posts: 2; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)
hi. Thanks. I've read similar comments in many websites. They all mention that both D820 and D821 will probably face LTE problems in Asia but other than that, its fine. This is the first time I am buying a phone from the US so I am still new to this.
105. iGoogle (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)
Does Nexus 5 support USB OTG?? Is IR blaster present??
108. Edmund (Posts: 654; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
So all in all this is a very ordinary smartphone -
poor-mediocre battery life
terrible camera performance (both stills and video)
extremely cheap build quality
terrible sound quality from the speaker
kit-kat brings very little new functionality to the phone
the screen is not very bright
problems connecting to MS exchange server
doesn't sound like a 9.3/10 to me
109. bad_omen (Posts: 4; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
can anyone tell me why the nexus 5 so cheap what is the catch????
112. vikk2232153 (Posts: 19; Member since: 18 Oct 2013)
Is it worth to spend money on nexus 5 who already have nexus 4?..How better is it in comparison to nexus 4 except from having a full hd panel?
117. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hi! i would say its worth (if you get it at 350 USD) not only you get the 1080 FHD screen but you will also get the fastest cpu available for android handsets s800 2.3ghz vs 1.5ghz both being quad core. LTE is another plus for the nexus 5, another big advantage is that nexus comes with at least 16gb internal memory up to 32gb while nexus 4 is 8-16gb.
Now on to the drawbacks: battery life. yes nexus 5's battery is bigger (2300mAh) compared to 2100mAh from the nexus 4 but nexus 5 has to feed that 1080 screen, s800 2.3ghz an LTE so its a big step back
113. rocking_94 (Posts: 2; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
does nexus 5 black have the same type(material) of back panel that the lumia 710 and 620 black have?
116. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hi! nexus 5 and lumia 710/620 don't share the same back. while the nexus 5 have a soft touch back the lumia 710/620 have a more tacky back
114. mrsriram13 (Posts: 5; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
i'm impressed with nexus 5, but i'm very well upset with battery back up i heard from other's, is it true i won't last long? and is it true display time is between 1hour - 1hour 30min???...
I'm a heavy user, i use whatsapp and facebook all time like 24hours, will nexus 5 satisy my needs with battery back up or it drain soon for my usage???...
please help me out here!!.....
115. frankperez01 (Posts: 11; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
hi! nexus 5 user here and to help you with your question i would say display time would be around 1- 1:45 hours.
i don't consider myself a "heavy user" but i can say the battery won't last through a day if you use it frequently throughout the day with WA and FB usage.
i noticed that my nexus even at standby (screen off) would lose 10% in 1 hour.
one night i left it charged 100% and when i woke up battery was dead.
118. mrsriram13 (Posts: 5; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
then this one reply sucks... even with 2300mAh....
119. MaxiLevin (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Nov 2013)
I have a very important question about the North American (D820) Nexus 5. I live in Indonesia (South East Asia) and shipping one Nexus 5 from the US. The question remains is that will it work here? The LTE Bands are different yes, but will at least the 3G works? Thanks
120. sakdec10 (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Jan 2014)
If I buy the Nexus 5 now how future proof is it considering 64-bit processors are gonna come. Will the current processor of the phone good enough and will it able to play all applications in good graphics even after 2-3 years from now. Thanks
121. filip.randjak (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Jun 2014)
Is it possible to change input mode to automatic when typing text messages? I'm not English so I use a couple of symbols in my language and when I type approximately 3 of them, it shows me that it will be sent not as a single test message but as 2 messages and it obviously consumes twice the price for a SMS. I used Samsung in the past and in the options there was a choice to change it to UNICODE, Automatic or something else (can't remember what) but now I can't see such option.