Google Nexus 4 hits the pavement in this new drop test - see what happens
0. phoneArena 19 Nov 2012, 09:05 posted on
Drop tests are always fun and exciting to watch. And even if there's something inside us that subconsciously tells us that destroying expensive smartphones on purpose is wrong, we always end up watching yet another one starring this latest and greatest device. Well, here we are again, this time with a video of the LG Nexus 4 being dropped onto the cold, hard pavement...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
27. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1087; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Yup LG has done well with this and the back looks really nice too
2. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 870; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
"both the front and back of the Nexus 4 are make of glass" I suppose its made*. Good article nonetheless.
3. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Nothing beats lumia 920 in build quality. Unless of course you talk about Nokia 3100
15. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Lol am not families with these names.
34. bipinm (Posts: 122; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
nothing can beat the old 3310...hihi...it has no gorillla glass...still u can throw it at wall and catch it like a ball...or u can throw it to scare off a chasing dog....kidding....
26. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1087; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
WP is good and all but kindly do not troll....this article isnt about how strong the Lumia 920 is or how will it fare compared to the Nexus 4!. its just about what happens if you drop the Nexus 4 and a hint at its durability!
29. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
lol well no offense i like what you just tried doing but please can you say the same when the android fandom raid every wp,bb and apple article too
4. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4229; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Wow I think it's clear, glass just plain old breaks. Still it's a sexy phone & I wish there was a CDMA 4G LTE version. It is what it is.
18. thunder18 (Posts: 116; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
Optimus G for Sprint has both LTE and CDMA as well as 32 GB memory instead of only 16GB. It's also been rooted already.
24. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4229; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
That is what I mean. The LG Optimus G is a LG Google Nexus 4 & vice versa. That is why I am STILL so pist-off that Google nixed a CDMA 4G LTE version of the Nexus 4.
Google should have all options available, this is where they failed & the camera on the Google Nexus 4 sucks also.
5. Ninetysix (Posts: 1661; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
iPhone 4/4S = Glass backplate that breaks easily and no LTE
Nexus 4 = Glass backplate that breaks easily and no LTE
Welcome to 2010 Google.
6. sorcio46 (Posts: 402; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
iPhone 5 = Apple Maps that fails everywhere (starting @ 729€)
Nexus 4 = Awesome Google Maps (starting @ 299€)
Welcome to 2012 Apple
12. Ninetysix (Posts: 1661; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
7. tech_lover (Posts: 25; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
as if having glass on both front and back is considered a "high end specification" for a phone!!
20. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Not so fast.
According to AnandTech, the Nexus 4 can theoretically run LTE on bands 1, 2, and 4. I believe that one of those is T-Mobile's planned LTE band. I'm not sure on how true this may be, but time will tell.
9. zvioocge (Posts: 26; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
of course LG is da best
my friend has some kind of lg phone (with no touchscreen but with capacitive buttons) and he dropped this once and...
screen broked and phone ain't workin'
i have nokia 2730c and i dropped it very many times
i ever dropped it from 2m but NOTHING! everything workin' fine
SO NEXT NEXUS MUST BE BY SONY!!!
10. toiletcleaner (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
He is drooping a Nexus phone but he cant Buy a new Shoes? ;)
13. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Why, why did they HAVE to make it out of glass? This is pretty much the only thing turning me away from the Nexus 4 at this point. It's giving me PTSD flashbacks of cracking my iPhone 4 twice, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I only buy HTC nowadays, they're the only company that seems to understand that ultra high end smartphones need to be somewhat rugged because not all of us have comfy little desk jobs.
23. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Because there are few other options than glass.
For backings, you have a choice of glass, plastic, aluminum, and, evidently, Kevlar.
-Aluminum is out. It makes NFC impossible, in addition to interfering with other radio signals a bit.
-Plastic is apparently cheap.
-Kevlar doesn't look very pretty.
-Glass is not sturdy.
Take your pick. Glass feels solid and is very nice looking while it's in one piece. Once it's broken, not so much, but it's only a little bit worse than the other options.
That's the way I see it, at least.
14. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Did anybody really expect for the Nexus 4 to be virtually indestructable like the Lumia 920? Nokia phones are in a class of their own, when it comes to build quality...
19. jcoberg10 (Posts: 110; Member since: 30 Oct 2009)
Did anyone actually watch the video? it held up really well. after 3 huge drops it barely cracked in the corner, and only on the back not on the front at all! That is pretty impressive. I personally wouldn't want an all glass phone, but this phone is pretty tough. don't just believe what i*honearena post, and their pic for the post watch the video.
22. Zero0 (Posts: 583; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Most likely luck.
The thing is pure glass. If it falls on concrete, there's a good chance that it's going to break. Gorilla Glass 2 is stronger than average glass, but not indestructible.
Drop tests are not scientific enough to prove the strength of a device.
28. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I have never liked the drop test.. they should make better use of those devices other than drop them, put a case on it and protect your investment..
30. novasians (Posts: 11; Member since: 26 May 2012)
WHY is this phone not available on Sprint ????
32. remixfa (Posts: 13950; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I have the N4..
GET A CASE.. I got a frikkin hair line scratch on the back ... from.. something.?? the first day. And that thing has been babied like a mofo.
And now that I have a phone with a glass front and back.. I can safely say all those morons that say "glass is premium".. are just that.. morons. Im sorry but it feels no different than smooth plastic.. its in your mind.... and its less durable.
Plastic > > > > glass.
Age old dispute... solved.
33. remixfa (Posts: 13950; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
All that said, the phone is phenomenal :) You seriously need it.