Google Maps updated with several improvements
0. phoneArena 28 Mar 2012, 13:54 posted on
Android users see Google Maps get updated to version 6.5, bringing additional public transit data, a new Navigation UI, and improved map legibility on high resolution displays...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. medicci37 (Posts: 1156; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
If Google really wants to improve maps, they should give the option 2 delete !
5. mad5870 (Posts: 60; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
If they wanted to make insert a good option it would be being able to add my home address and work address in separate labels. not just a stared location. That way if i'm some where out and about i can just click the "home button" from the home screen of the navigation app or let us edit/add a name to our stared locations. So instead of searching for an address we can search for our names. Idk that just me a simple request.
11. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
You can do that with the shortcuts widget. Just long press on the home screen and instead of adding a widget, click on Shortcut>Directions & Navigation. Then enter your address and whatever you want to name it (Home, Work, or whatever), then you pick how you want the icon to look. And it works just like you said. Click it and it goes straight into the turn by turn navigation to that address. I think it's just what you're looking for. :)
15. mad5870 (Posts: 60; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Actually that is exactly what i'm looking for. WOWSA thank you. and to think i'm on my third year with an android device. well it must be true you learn something new every day. haha
16. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I know, right! Hopefully there will be a few more Easter eggs like this in ICS.
19. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
This is what google maps needs:
*Solid intergration with Gas Buddy
*More 3D buildings
*Get the Navigation out of Beta.
4. medicci37 (Posts: 1156; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Option to delete maps. I disabled it several times, but it keeps reinabling itself & wasting my battery.
6. Sniggly (Posts: 7296; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Um, and you're sure that it's Maps that wastes your battery and not something else? Maps takes, like, a meg of RAM or so. It's not much.
7. medicci37 (Posts: 1156; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
It's still a waste to have apps running that I never use. & What's the point of being able to disable apps, if they keep turning themselves back on ? If I didn't want to have control of my phone I would have gone with Apple instead of my Nexus. I think it's perfectly normal to want to be able to decide what apps run on my phone & Google should respect that.
8. medicci37 (Posts: 1156; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Btw same thing happens when I disable Google+ (another Google service that really sucks)
9. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
I don't know what you're complaining about I use Google + and maps on my nexus and they never use more than 2-5% of my total battery if that...
12. medicci37 (Posts: 1156; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Your missing the point. I don't use or want either app.
13. medicci37 (Posts: 1156; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
& If they would stay disabled, the apps would use 0% of my battery.
10. zothen (Posts: 14; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
Why do these Google apps not automatically update like most other Android apps from the Google Play store?
17. Owlet (Posts: 447; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
You can set all the apps to update automatically, or none to update automatically, or just some apps to update automatically. You probably have some apps set to auto update. Go to the Play Store, hit menu, then settings. Chech "auto-update apps".
18. alihafeez (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
On my Huawei U8150 IDEOS Froyo running cell phone, the previous and the current version (6.4 and 6.5) keeps on crashing. How can I revert to a version prior to 6.4 or get the crash issue resolved.