Google Maps surges to the top spot on Apple App Store's free app list in just 7 hours
0. phoneArena 13 Dec 2012, 09:29 posted on
Google Maps for iPhone has just become the most popular free application on the App Store, merely 7 hours after it launched on Apple’s catalog…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. seesharp88 (Posts: 22; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
The top Play store app at the moment is made by GIPNETIX GAMES. Does that mean GOOGLE = FAIL?
What it has proved, is that google has had to bring their no.1 android selling point to the iPhone. It has been gobbled up... but by iPhone users.
This is as much a win for apple as it is google
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Hahaha. I think you gave a great example of false equivalence. If Google had dropped GIPNETIX GAMES from JB where previously it had been offered on Android ICS and earlier, your analogy MIGHT be applicable.
16. diggie (Posts: 4; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
Apple didn't have a choice but to change their Map app. Google wouldn't allow them to use vector based graphics and wouldn't allow them to use turn by turn directions. If google wanted to stay in the first place they should have allowed these changes. But when google restricts what features Apple can use in their app that pulls google data (which is their right to do) you can't blame Apple for looking elsewhere.
22. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Google should have allowed these changes? You mean the changes that Google implemented in the new app?
You are an idiot.
24. diggie (Posts: 4; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
The old app was developed by Apple using Google data and their agreement with Apple prohibited Apple from implementing these features. I'm not saying Google should or shouldn't have allowed it - that was a business choice for them to make - but it was features Apple wanted, Google wouldn't work with them on those features so they went elsewhere to get the data they needed so they could implement those features.
If you don't even know the background of the story you're the idiot.
28. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
this way, the app is all Google ....better off for Google in the long run not having their software integrated with boring old iOS. Because of Google's rep, they can just make the software for the app store and APPLE users will then have a choice ('gasp') of which maps to use - just like Android users do. Obviously, APPLE users prefer Google quite a bit.
5. pankajgupta (Posts: 59; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Apple Maps are fail not Apple.
Apple strategy will eventually work out 5-7 years down the line or sooner if they buy some Map companies.
We have 3 BIG and MAIN competitors now.
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3606; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I don't know. I have a feeling that Applets don't want to get "lost" anymore.
10. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Ya think Nokia is a stronger competitor than Apple? Really?
19. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11255; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I don't lose any sleep over my comments being disliked.
32. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
But everybody loses when they get sucked into the comments section.
33. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 885; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
If you did you'd be an insomniac Mxy hahaha. Gotta respect you respect you for sticking to your guns even though I disagree with most of what you say.
3. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4807; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Umm people want a great working maps application. Google maps is it. Is this really a surprise to anyone? What surprises me is that it took 7 hours for that to happen. lol
6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
"What surprises me is that it took 7 hours for that to happen,"
Probably due to a lag in the word getting out, users in the U.S. being tucked into bed for a chunk of the 7 hour lag and whatnot.
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Gee, I wonder why that is (sarcasm)? Any chance that users in iOS-land were unhappy with iMaps? I guess they knew better than Apple what they wanted.
8. BadAssAbe (Posts: 456; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
A Google app at the top of Apple Store, A Samsung Top using and admitting using apple product. Whats next, The end of the world?
12. PhoneCritic (Posts: 667; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Apple and Tim Cook got eggs all over their faces when Cook made a public apology and essentially admitted Apple made a mistake when it Booted Google maps and try to do it's own mapping app that failed terribly ( cost a Apple exec his Job too). Today also adds more Eggs to Apples and Tim Cook's face again as it shows that Apple users can think and exercise their own opinions and not have Apple always dictate to them what they need and should have. The Apple users have spoken loud and clear and Apple has heard. This is a win for the iPhone users and like it or not a Big win for Google's strategy of being everywhere and on every device.
14. ZayZay (Posts: 571; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
What? Nose surgery wasn't the most useful popular thing on iOS?
15. kindlefireowner (Posts: 503; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Is Apple the first company to make a mistake on a product. No. If I was Tim Cook, I would have made a deal with TomTom and gave free downloads of TomTom's app. That would have smooth everything out on the spot.
18. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Apply should just take the Google Map back as its default Map App
20. shamataa (Posts: 212; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
LOL and not a huge surprise. Apple was so dumb to make its own map app in the first place and further more to ditch it now they are paying the price. Just to show you how Apple is no longer a good company with good ideas and falling short on apps.
21. McLTE (Posts: 804; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I only have one thing to say..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. gasp.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
25. miladkhahil (Posts: 26; Member since: 08 Dec 2008)
Again this not about winning or failing for neither Apple nor Google ... It's about us consumer..... Thank you Google for that beautiful Google Map App...that application is better in terms of design compared to the Android build, which has been adding features over time by way of cluttering menus with new items.
already the much-expected software has surged to become the top free iPhone app on the App Store. This just goes to illustrate that competition is a good thing and how eager people have been to have that native mapping experience from Google on their iPhones... :-)
26. Twisted247 (Posts: 282; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
LMAO "Apple works just fine if not better" - Apple user in denial
The stats don't lie number 1 in 7hours hahahahahaha
Apple boys if you wanted the Google and Android Greatness so badly all you had to do was ask
27. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
You know it is bad for APPLE with their awesome 'maps' when as soon as Google releases theirs on iOS - it goes to the top. People want reliable not just because it is from APPLE. The 'just because it is APPLE' marketing and development for APPLE is not working any longer.
29. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Apple should learn something from this experience and apply the lesson to a revamp of iOS. The UI is just so... 2007. I wonder how the iOS community would respond to a new (and truly improved) UI? Based on the response to gMaps, I suspect it would be at the top of the download list, too.
30. jroc74 (Posts: 5986; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Well this was a no brainer....lol. This should be a lesson to Apple.
31. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
just shows how much google was missed by ios users
34. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
The major part of why people hated the iPhone is now irrelevant thanks to Google for solving this problem... It's now cool to have an iPhone again.
What if apple did this on purpose to force google to create an updated google maps in the first place?
35. Phonecall01 (unregistered)
Hey Apple!!! Though you could do it better.... Now you look stupid.
37. DJPaZ (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Dec 2012)
I'm from Sri Lanka, and it says Google Maps is not available in Sri Lankan App Store.. We have roads and places too you know! Anyone else getting this problem?