Google Earth 7 update brings 3D Maps to iOS, beats Apple
0. phoneArena posted on 26 Jul 2012, 12:23
Trying to take the spotlight off Apple, Google announced a new 3D mapping app for iOS just days before Apple introduced its own in-house maps app for its mobile devices; now Google has once again beat Apple by releasing version 7 of Google Earth for iOS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. TheLibertine posted on 26 Jul 2012, 12:28 22
Google making apps for Apple earns my respect. They still show Apple they can well operate together why Apple seemingly turns away from Google services.
7. frydaexiii posted on 26 Jul 2012, 13:12 10
To Google it doesn't matter who is competition, as long as they keep making money and the profits keep rolling in, they don't care if their competitors earn more than them.
10. thebest posted on 26 Jul 2012, 13:44 3
because the default apple apps are very valuable and they make billions for the developers, apple wants to make the iphone dependent on itself for most of the default apps........google makes much more money from apple when compared to android so apple is apparently not happy with it....thats okay with me because we can still get the maps app from the app store
2. Hammerfest posted on 26 Jul 2012, 12:34 4
I find it difficult to stop laughing...
Always ready to 1UP, showing that despite turning away from them, they still have a presence on their platform...
Instead of nerfing their services on other platforms, even one owned by a hostel entity, and dont delude yourself, thats exactlly what Apple is, they continue to toil away at improvements...
3. Droid_X_Doug posted on 26 Jul 2012, 12:39 7
iOS users represent a huge group of Google users. If Google can offer a compelling value proposition to those users, they will continue to use Google services.
4. Asasindude26 posted on 26 Jul 2012, 12:44 2
I hope they do Europe soon for iOS and Android :O
6. MartyK posted on 26 Jul 2012, 13:03 0
They should did a "fly over in 3D" of Cupertino,Ca and Redmond WA ..that would've been sweet...lol
8. mas11 posted on 26 Jul 2012, 13:30 5
Lol the iPhone has lots of Google apps such as Search, Earth, Chrome, Translate, Gmail, Google+ and a few others. You don't see a single app from Apple on Android. That's one reason I think Apple is so anti-competitive. If PC's weren't popular do you really think Apple would make iTunes for Windows?
14. Quezdagreat posted on 26 Jul 2012, 15:16 0
All of those things were on iPhones before google became competition. They still have google search as default, still have gmail. I'm curious, what app could apple bring out for android?
20. andro. posted on 26 Jul 2012, 16:31 2
They would probably try releasing an app that would cripple the handsets and direct the user to by an ios device!
24. Quezdagreat posted on 26 Jul 2012, 16:47 1
We all know that iTunes and QuickTime sucks
25. mas11 posted on 26 Jul 2012, 18:05 2
That's why iTunes it the #1 place to purchase and play music.
26. ghostnexus posted on 26 Jul 2012, 23:31 1
iTunes music library is huge
9. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 26 Jul 2012, 13:43 1
I say google should just focus on getting that Nav out of beta. It really makes me mad to see "beta" every time I use the app. They should finish that, then do something on iOS.
11. benjitek posted on 26 Jul 2012, 14:23 0
Google Earth is neat, for 5 minutes, but then you start to wonder what use justifies such a large chunk of RAM.
If they're going to give something to iOS, I'd rather see their mall, Costco, and other public venue floor plan app thing that android has. That's something I could use.
12. Sniggly posted on 26 Jul 2012, 14:23 0
And through this all, Play Store on my Galaxy Note still only says Maps is on 6.9. Are certain phones allowed to see the 7.0 update, or is it specific to my phone?
15. Droid_X_Doug posted on 26 Jul 2012, 15:44 0
v. 6.9 for Android seems to have the functionality of v. 7.0 for iOS. Different numbering for different O/Ss? Confusing, but whatever.
16. Sniggly posted on 26 Jul 2012, 15:53 0
No, on the online Play store (which doesn't detect my phone) it says version 7.0.
18. Droid_X_Doug posted on 26 Jul 2012, 16:02 0
Online from your desktop? Or? The Play store application from my ICS (v. 4.04) says v. 6.9 but includes 3D in the product description.
17. taz89 posted on 26 Jul 2012, 15:57 0
if apple could they would ban all google apps from any apple products. thankfully anti-competitive laws exist and many of the millions of 3gs and 4 owners will be able to have 3d maps where as apple wont give it to them
19. Droid_X_Doug posted on 26 Jul 2012, 16:04 1
That is the only thing keeping Apple from giving the middle-fingered wave to owners of earlier iDevices that are not supported by iOS v. 6
21. andro. posted on 26 Jul 2012, 16:35 0
Im not sure google earth is neccessary on handsets when google maps is essentially the same thing,nothing wrong with the eye candy it provides though