Google Drive launches
0. phoneArena 24 Apr 2012, 11:59 posted on
Google Drive has launched, and the details are pretty much what we expected. As we've said before, we expected Google Drive to be nothing more than a rebranding of Google Docs...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
8. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1118; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
the symbol looks too much illuminati
2. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Just turned on my Google Drive service, and I'm really loving it.
3. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Fandroids please respond about 5gb of free storage. You bashed Apple saying they were ripping off consumers.
16. protozeloz (Posts: 5188; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
same here, plus the extra storage is way more cheap on Gdrive and they have a handful of webapps that make editing documents and other stuff quite nice
7. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2573; Member since: 26 May 2011)
With iCloud 5GB was for everything: docs, photos, music, etc. With Google Drive, it's 5GB for everything, but if you use Picasa, you get another 1GB for photos (or unlimited photo storage if you're using auto-upload from G+), and if you use Music, you get 20,000 songs storage free.
Drive is just a locker. If you want to use the files, you still use other apps. Besides which, iCloud upgrades are far more expensive, what would cost you $5 on Google (20GB) costs $40 from Apple. Apple's $100 tier would get you just 50GB, while $100 on Google would get you 400GB and would span across all Google products including Gmail, Picasa, etc.
Not a Fandroid, just someone who understands the products involved.
11. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
not true Michael music and video don't go against storage
13. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2573; Member since: 26 May 2011)
my mistake, also Google did just change the pricing plans, so 200GB would cost just over $100 a year, not 400GB. still more storage for your money than iCloud though.
14. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Michael, I think Google change the pricing plan to Google Storage plans. It's now $2.49/month for 25GB each for Drive, Picasa and gmail, $4.99/month for 100GB for Drive and Picasa, 25GB for gmail.
12. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I don't know what happened, I saw the $5 for 20GB earlier. When I went in to check again right now, they have a completely different pricing from before...
9. networkdood (Posts: 4748; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
It will hold 4 RAZR ROMs....not much space
21. sulabhgupta (Posts: 1; Member since: 24 Apr 2012)
I don't understand iCloud at all. You can't access files through the Finder, you can't view your photos unless you pay for a newer version of iPhoto, you can't even access pictures online at iCloud.com. It is by far the worst cloud service out there. And he says "It works like magic", what bullshit ?!!?
24. JunitoNH (Posts: 649; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Have to agree with you on that one. I like Apple, but by far iCloud has to be the ugliest and most difficult UI to understand.
6. sudhar131998 (Posts: 63; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
whoah a 16Tb online storage???? That's too much for a rebranding of documents unless they are planning something major other than the usual media stuff
10. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2573; Member since: 26 May 2011)
That tier is more for businesses, because the rebranding does expand to Google Apps as well.
15. tward291 (Posts: 557; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
22. tward291 (Posts: 557; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
the guy up top got it going on MS all day F9ck apple and your dame Android
23. Roomaku (Posts: 278; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
Im just fine with my 25 GB skydrive. Except the limit on file size is a pain.
25. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2573; Member since: 26 May 2011)
didn't that just get reduced to 7GB?
26. tward291 (Posts: 557; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
if your already using it they let you keep the 25 for free
31. troybuilt (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Yes, I'm getting the same thing. It says "We'll email you as soon as your Drive is ready". That's all I get since yesterday.