Google Currents officially dead with latest update, pushes users to Play Newsstand
0. phoneArena 19 Feb 2014, 22:16 posted on
Google Currents never really got much traction from the start. Anyone in the market for an app that did what Currents offered were far more likely to go with a better alternative that had more support, like Flipboard. Then, when Google released Play Newsstand, it was obvious that Currents was on its way out. Now, Currents is officially dead...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. deathgod (Posts: 120; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
This story would have been great hours ago :(. Unfortunately I had my Currents app set to autoupdate, and man I'm pissed! Newstand just plain sucks! The navigation, layout, etc, is nowhere near as good as Currents is. This update should have been a manual one, where users got to choose whether they wanted to have their Current version uninstalled. Anyone who doesn't have a backup of Currents is screwed. You've been making some really bad moves lately Google...
2. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 407; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Damn, I actually really liked Currents. Luckily I don't have auto update on anything for this very reason.
3. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 407; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Havana haha haha haha, I just checked the most helpful reviews, almost all of them were one star and I didn't see any five star ratings.
Hopefully they'll work on it... But I can't recall Google admitting to a mistake they've made...
8. apple4never (Posts: 961; Member since: 08 May 2013)
find an older version apk and then just don't update
4. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Google Currents always do is slow my Nexus down.
6. __0__ (banned) (Posts: 242; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
New stand is like currents with newer UI.
Why can't I fully uninstall currents on my nexus 7 ? Now I have a newstand app and a currents app that shows me the same information
7. bagou01 (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Nov 2013)
i'm not on autoupdate, however currents is nowhere on my n5 already, not in activated nor disasbled apps...
10. Augustine (Posts: 733; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
I had it disabled on my N5 and didn't even notice its vanishing, perhaps with the 4.4.2 update. Good riddance.
12. Augustine (Posts: 733; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
However, on my N7, Currents is still there after the 4.4.2 update.