Gold-colored smartphones - hot or not?
0. phoneArena 18 Apr 2014, 14:36 posted on
Golden smartphones are certainly a trend now, as Apple, Samsung, HTC and LG all have gold-colored flagship handsets. We're wondering if the trend is here to stay...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
23. corporateJP (Posts: 2429; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
A rose-gold, limited edition Nokia-branded Lumia would have been a treat on the way out...
24. Commentator (Posts: 3040; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Deep black with dark gold accents would be pretty cool, but I can't say I'm attracted to these phones that are almost all gold.
31. Immolate (Posts: 309; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Yup I'm with you. Matte black with lustery gold trim punches my ticket.
38. maherk (Posts: 2605; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
+1. I have the black Note 3 and my wife has the white one. I got a black tempered glass battery door with rose gold aluminum trim for mine, and white one with rose gold aluminum trim for her. Both looks great, but the black one still looks better since the gold accent shines when surrounded by black. The only downside for it, the back is slippery now, and the black one is a fingerprint magnet (on the white one fingerprints are barely visible).
45. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1062; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
I would say matte black with red and gold accents.
50. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4201; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
So basically like the M8 pictured in the article, but inverse? Yeah, that'd be pretty great.
25. papss (unregistered)
I like the gold color s5 myself
26. OmarKS (Posts: 31; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
Only the gold iphone5s looks stunning. Then HTC One phones too. So it actually depends on design. Gold samsung flagships looks so boring & funny, really.
33. Astoni (Posts: 625; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Tbh apple did it really nice. its a perfect blend on the iphone 5s :p. Going only gold is horrible..
39. sip1995 (Posts: 1361; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
iPhone 5s and ntc one are great in gold, but the gs5 is like a hansaplasthttp://www.galsnguys.gr/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/3.jpg
46. tedkord (Posts: 7687; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Whether it's a tooth, a chain and medallion laying among the matted hair on the chest of some guy with his shirt unbuttoned to the waist, or a smartphone, gold is gaudy.
47. MobileNico (Posts: 59; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Moto X with Walnut or Ebony wood back and a gold trim is gorgeous. All gold is just too gawdy.
48. jinxtabator (Posts: 20; Member since: 19 May 2013)
can't blame them for catering to important markets where bling is still king- but would also like to see more colour choice for those countries whose palate has moved on (hope the moto x has started something)
53. flipjzn (Posts: 201; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
The subtlety of gold color and design on iPhone 5s makes it better than the two on above photo.
55. newbey123 (Posts: 519; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Depends on the phone design. The HTC and Apple look pretty nice in gold. The gold sammy just makes the bad design look worse.
56. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I see my phones as a piece of technology, not a piece of jewelry so gold is just too gaudy for me. Right now the gunmetal M8 is probably the best looking phone on the market, maybe tied with the Z2.
57. domfonusr (Posts: 384; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
Gold is an okay color for gold rings and jewelry, but not for cars, mobile phones, or anything else that isn't jewelry. It's just too outlandish looking, and makes a person look like they think they are rich or higher-class than a normal everyday person. So, I would never go with a gold phone, ever. As for everyone else, that's up to them to figure out for themselves.
58. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It depends on the design of the phone. The HTC One M8 and iPhone 5s in gold is sexy and the Galaxy S5 in gold is ugly and looks like a band-aid.
64. Taters (Posts: 5089; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I wouldn't even wear a gold necklace or watch, let alone a phone. Maybe white gold
65. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3683; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Only black phones. White phones are okay only if the front bezels are black. Eg. Nexus 5
66. hazman_pds (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Dec 2013)
The gold-colour is beautiful on aluminum phones but ugly on polycarbonate backplates
71. clevercarlos (Posts: 18; Member since: 08 Sep 2013)
I have the gold 5s! Personally I wanted the silver one but since I got it the day it came out, they had very little options to choose from. After having it for a while I'm glad I got stuck with the gold one. It has grown on me lol
75. Jaeel (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
I associate gold with things that should last for decades, seeing it on smartphones makes me twitch. So out of place.
76. magnum44 (unregistered)
Frankly if l am in the market now to buy any of these 3 devices shown in the picture, l'll go for the gold-colour version of all of them (if available) ... not because of taste but because of the novelty factor. However, any devices made of REAL GOLD would be as hideous as gold Rolexes and jewellery when worn by some men.
78. amats69 (Posts: 1238; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Gold IPhone and HTC one m7 or m8- hot! The rest not!. But I still prefer red and black combination of colors on phone..esp the type of red HTC uses on m7!
79. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
A golden iphone 5s looks great, GS5 I'd prefer electric blue, htc one looks great in gold, and umm lg g2 well I'd rather get a white version or maybe black...
92. Trex95 (Posts: 787; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
94. ItsJustAC (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Apr 2014)
I think its a great colour for metallic looking phones. I haven't owned a device with a gold option myself, but I think a number of devices look good with it.
97. MobileGuru (Posts: 82; Member since: 18 Jan 2014)
Silver and Black is the best design for me