Gold-colored smartphones - hot or not?
In the past, high-end smartphones colored in gold were pretty rare. But something happened lately that determined companies to include gold among the color options of the handsets mentioned above (and not only). Of course, it is true that this color gives the impression of luxury. But you know how the old saying goes: all that glitters is not gold. So that's pretty much a false impression after all.
Is this just a temporary trend that will fade away soon? We don’t know. But we’re curious to find out how many of our readers really dig the gold color when it comes to smartphones. This being said, cast your votes in the poll below, and leave your comments (if you have any) after that.
- Gold-colored smartphones - do you like them?
792 votes (792 votes) Yes. They have a "je ne sais quoi" that attracts me.
2057 votes (2057 votes) Maybe, but it depends on the design of the smartphone.
1497 votes (1497 votes) No. No, no, no.
1. Antimio (Posts: 279; Member since: 11 Nov 2013)
No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no
5. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3209; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
You should have used many languages at least lol.
16. bbblader (Posts: 581; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
61. apple4never (Posts: 970; Member since: 08 May 2013)
hold up hindi isnt the word no its just the language it would be nai pronounced naie (i speak hindi)
27. LGisgood (Posts: 465; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
its depends on design!!!
SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 Gold IS UGLY!!!!!!!
Iphone 5 Gold is beautiful!
LG G3 Gold is beautiful....
68. Nabil2511 (Posts: 149; Member since: 27 Jan 2014)
Gold is only applicable at metal phones..
83. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6688; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
That include ones with diamonds
60. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Gold color is tasteless.
By the way , Apple didn't make "gold" iphone5S. They made it (as they called it) "Champagne" color.
The menial media INVENTED the name "gold" for it. And can tell you which iMedia invented it.
All OEM's make "gold" color versions LONG BEFORE Apple to make "Champagne" color iphone5S. But only few testless ppl buy it. Even Samsung made S4 gold before iphone5S.
"Gold" iphone doesn't sell good too.
All this was just BASHING iPropaganda, and nothing else. This article smells bad, too.
32. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6688; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
AS DANIEL BRYAN WOULD SAY " NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
37. LGisgood (Posts: 465; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
i saw the REAL LG G3 Design.
its VERY BEAUTIFUL!
44. Neo_Huang (Posts: 547; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
But nowadays he says "YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!'
40. akki20892 (Posts: 3623; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
67. magnum44 (unregistered)
This means anyone saying 'yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes' will risk sounding like a woman making love!
2. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3209; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Depends on the design of the phone. But personally like bright colors like red, yellow or cyan.
35. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I only like that gold of iPhone and nothing more.
30. maherk (Posts: 1117; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
the gunmetal grey is much much better in terms of looks, though the one thing the gold is better at is that it isn't as slippery as the grey one. Still I have no issues with any color manufacturers release, people have different tastes, wwhat's good for me isn't good for others and vise versa.
4. tuminatr (Posts: 686; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
lol not for me but my mom thinks they are pretty
28. LGisgood (Posts: 465; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
its depends on design!!!
SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 Gold IS UGLY!!!!!!!
Iphone 5 Gold is beautiful!
LG G3 Gold is beautiful..
69. Smokin (Posts: 120; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
First, it's 5S.
Second, beautiful is subjective.
Third, G3? are you LG's CEO or something? Leaked pictures dont tell the truth. All those leaked docs about S5 said that there's a 'major design' change. Your username is perfect for you, mindless LG fanboy. If i'm not wrong G2 mini has a gold paintjob and it'a butt ugly.
7. Amir1 (Posts: 269; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
gold suits mostly ladies imo. kind of like pink. though, i wouldn't rule it out completly for myself. but seems like i will forever have black colored phones for my liking in favor.
8. Goldeneye (Posts: 358; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Like it or not, Apple started this trend, sure they we not the first ones but no other manufacturer made the rest follow right after.
12. Immolate (Posts: 288; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Next, Apple will patend the color gold, enraging jewelers and audio connector manufacturers world-wide.
13. -box- (Posts: 3864; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Nokia had gold-colored (and real gold, especially with their Vertu line) phones over a decade ago. Apple may have revived the trend in the mainstream, but Vertu - and other luxury phones, that is, ones that cost at least over $1K - haven't stopped using the style. Personally it's gaudy to me.
34. maherk (Posts: 1117; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
he didn't say apple invented gold phones, he said they started this trend which isn't a wrong saying. Not a fan of Apple, but no one can deny that they are pretty good at settings trends, from the memory choices (which is stupid for me, but still they started this trend), to the white and black color choices, fingerprint scanner, gold color choice, glass back, aluminum build, and so on.
Again, I am not saying Apple did invent those things, not at all, couple of those examples I gave were found before, but Apple did revive them and turned them into trends that others follow.
42. tedkord (Posts: 5129; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
When has somebody else doing something before them ever stopped apple from applying for a patent?
49. Doakie (Posts: 1305; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Well the first Champagne smartphones I remember were the Sony Xperia E in 2012 and the Asus Fonepad in 2013. Those both predated the iPhone, and the iPhone gold color launched right after the champagne Fonepad. So chronologically the iPhone is another big copy cat. Just like their rumored 4.7" and 5.5" Galaxy copies. Nice try though. If you play the selectivity game hard enough you can justify any idea.... The iPhone 5 copied the original Galaxy S because they chose exactly 4.0"..... See how that works? Pretty lame huh?
52. Doakie (Posts: 1305; Member since: 06 May 2009)
I don't mean to be sound like an Android Fanboy. But when I heard of the iPhone 5S being released in champagne I thought to myself, "I was just deciding between silver and champagne for the Fonepad I just ordered. Funny. Apple is following Asus' lead." So to me the champagne Fonepad came first and set the champagne color in motion.
91. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
There is not such a "trend" . Nobody buys such POS tasteles color(well, few)
All this was Apple propaganda. Even this article, and "poll".LOL
93. Goldeneye (Posts: 358; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Don't know why so much hate a color that is indeed popular, NOBODY buys them? So why Samsung and HTC are using it on their flagships then? Come on guys hating Apple shouldn't leave you blind and give credit where is due, again I never said that Apple was first I said that the iPhone started this trend and not the phone pad or Sony or anyone else period.
10. AnukulVcool (Posts: 133; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
Gold color is not hot until its real Gold, words of wisdom
82. tenho1982 (Posts: 61; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I guess even SS makes a real Gold phone, it's still "ugly". Oops.
15. Immolate (Posts: 288; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
Did it have a nice house in the suburbs, two cars and 2.4 kids? Does it really like it's job or does it just put on a brave face? What happened to the millions of other gold iPhones? Why did they fail?
17. Anshulonweb (Posts: 348; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
the only phone that looked good in gold is iPhone 5s......maybe because it is not proper gold, it is champagne colour......
19. Florin.T (Posts: 124; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
Both are correct, but glitters is, indeed, the newer (and widely used) term. "Glisters" was originally used by Shakespeare, it seems.
21. guest (Posts: 107; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
The reason that the gold iPhone sold so well was because it was the only way people could tell you upgraded to the 5s lol
22. JunitoNH (Posts: 965; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
I'll reserve my judgement about the others, since I've not seen them. However, the iphone looks great, maybe because isn't covering the entire body.