German court invalidates Apple's slide-to-unlock patent, gives victory to Motorola
0. phoneArena 04 Apr 2013, 20:13 posted on
On Thursday, Motorola was the victor in a German courtroom as Apple's slide-to-unlock patent was ruled invalid by the country's Federal Patent Court despite Apple's attempt to keep the patent alive by offering 14 amendments to the patent; the court ruled that the only change that Apple had made to prior art, a swiping gesture, didn't meet requirements of European patent law...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Take that you bad fruit®
USPTO should invaldate all of Apple's patents which does not belong to them©
38. phil2n (Posts: 466; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Because the swiping was not considered to be a technical innovation to a technical problem.
USPTO must do the same
42. maier9900 (Posts: 257; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
Does not belong to them????? Are you nazi? wtf...!!
2. tedkord (Posts: 4518; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Normally, I'd make a comment about this, but I'm just hypnotized by that picture.
20. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I shoulda gave you a thumbs down for that comment lol.
25. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1322; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
i think you need a special stylus for that
27. protozeloz (Posts: 5372; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
32. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Just my 2 cents... I cant help but notice that boobs are like "thumbsdown blockers". This entire thread has had nothing but thumbs up!
and all because of boobs :)
47. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
And your point is? Everyone loves boobs!=)
35. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Good question. You dont slide them. You squeeze them.
36. JC557 (Posts: 994; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
No, no, no, you slide to unlock them from the flimsy shirt.
3. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
I remember this similar photo being EclipseGsx Avatar™
6. heyhi (Posts: 123; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
they sued for a lockscreen?? they are really more than desperate..why dont they cut the money for the lawyers, save it and focus only on a better phone overral and not useless waist of time...everything is apple creation now..a billion of patents.
10. tedkord (Posts: 4518; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They not only sued over slide to unlock, they claimed in court that a tap is really just a zero length slide, so any lockscreen that has a tap to open violates slide to unlock.
17. joey_sfb (Posts: 2780; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
No wonder get invalid promptly. Such arrogant!
24. lyndon420 (Posts: 1716; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
So now a tap is the same thing as sliding?
33. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
yes it was claimed that TAP is a ZERO Length swipe.
43. maier9900 (Posts: 257; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
If it was your company you wouldnt make such comments. You obviously lack experience. Good luck owning a company.
49. heyhi (Posts: 123; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
u should read other comments besides mine...they lack experience as well...i obviously lack experience, you obviuosly lack perspective. APPLE THINK DIFFERENT, not the same please.
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5372; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I came here for the sole purpose of doing a boob joke... But then I thought... Hey I'm better than that
9. pongkie (Posts: 497; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
is that pic the new iPhone 5s it looks really great
19. lyndon420 (Posts: 1716; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Looks like they perfected their airbag tech. Nice work apple...very nice work indeed.
44. Xolar (Posts: 57; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
Apple made a good job this year, they made the iPhone 5S a lot bigger
11. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3337; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
This is pure bs. Why would they toss out a valid patent claim? The German court can't be this incompetent.
12. tedkord (Posts: 4518; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You answered your own question when you said "valid patent claim."
23. lyndon420 (Posts: 1716; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Just goes to show how the patent system needs an overhaul. All these OEM's need to start working together instead of against each other. Competition helps to push innovation and makes our products better.
29. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Depends on what the patents are. Some like these need to be invalidated while some like PureView tech needn't be. What should be legitimate patents are software/hardware and how you do it and allowing others to do it, unless that's been invented by you for a definite time period. Meaning if someone re-invents the wheel he should be allowed to patent only how he's done it and it should be legitimate for others to make another wheel or license it.
30. jacko1977 (Posts: 388; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
even if it was valid it be under the frand
34. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
It was tossed out because it was not something that was to be given patent in any case. ... So what next? rectangle Rounder corners to go ... :D
37. JC557 (Posts: 994; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Because Slide to Unlock is not a new feature....
40. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3951; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Not only does a stupid Apple patent get invalidated, but Motorola was granted a victory because of it. I bet this news struck a nerve with you, didn't it?
14. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6264; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
SWEET JUSTICE IS SERVE! SERVE U RIGHT APPLE
16. lyndon420 (Posts: 1716; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Justice at last. Restored some faith in the system.
21. taikucing (unregistered)
Slide to unlock is a very stupid patent. I think It's made by a 5 y'o kid. No complicated algorithm, no technology behind it. Perhaps the people at patent office was drunk when accepting it as a patent.
26. Hemlocke (unregistered)
Phonearena seems to be dancing around t hat ComScore report. They must not want to see all the tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth.
46. tedkord (Posts: 4518; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Nobody cares. One country, one brief period. It's happened before, but at the end of the year, what do the numbers show? Android increasing its lead.
There have been no exciting Android flagship phones released recently. Check back the quarter the S4 is released.
48. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Yea...because its the end of Android right?
Its still almost a 20 point difference in market share. Why would anyone tear hair or gnash teeth?
50. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I see why you keep saying this.
iPhone, Apple fanboys thought Android would be gone by now, many predicted it would be gone in 2010, especially after the iPhone started showing up on other carriers....so the iPhone, Apple fanboys are the ones tearing out hair, gnashing teeth.
Cuz every quarter the iPhone gets closer to that top spot they lost, Android gains again a quarter or 2 later. Either Apple has to do some drastically good or Google has to do something drastically bad for the iPhone to get that top spot again.
I cant see Google doing something drastically bad, but there is hope for Apple. If not...its the PC vs Mac wars all over again....and Apple and their fanboys just have to deal with it.
28. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5263; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
LOL. At last.............even the MOTO beats the bad fruit.........
(Remember the odd song "At Last" from BlackBerry?)