Galaxy S5 vs Xperia Z2 camera samples compare the great outdoors and the murky indoors
0. phoneArena 16 Apr 2014, 03:12 posted on
The Xperia Z2 and Galaxy S5 offer the highest resolution cameras in the Android world at the moment - the Z2 has a 20 MP sensor, and the Galaxy S5 comes with a 16 MP unit. The handsets utilize smallish 1.1 micron pixels for their sensors, and the one on the Z2 is slightly bigger - 1/2.3" - than the 1/2.6" sensor in the S5, in order to accommodate the higher resolution. The phones offer 2 MP front-facing cams, capable of 1080p video recording. Below are some quick direct comparison samples from both devices. At first blush, they look on par outdoors, but when the light dims down, the situation starts to change. We won't spoil the fun for you, but have patience with the high-res photos, as they will take some time to load...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. solidsnake695 (Posts: 132; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
i think z2 did a better job but for phonearena u know what i mean
14. hung2900 (Posts: 956; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I also know what Sony fans will think about the comparison, lol/
I still remember
- 2012 phones shot-out: "where is Xperia S, it has 12 MP camera and better than GS3 and iPhone".
- 2013 early phones shot-out "where is Xperia Z, blah blah similar to above"
- Note 3 screen vs Xperia Z2: Z2 is more "vivid" and natural (so if color is vivid on a Sony's device, it would be naturally vivid, but on a Samsung's phone would be oversaturated)
29. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
That was bitter but truth indeed. Btw From my 2 day experience, i can say galaxy s5(white one) is not ugly infact it has a very solid feel in hand. Speaking of camera it has an extremely fast viewfinder, the autofocus is indeed lightning fast, it has hands down the best camera on a smartphone i've seen. The only complaint is that uglier and even more inconsistent touchwiz imo.
52. tech2 (Posts: 3466; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Dude I am confused between black and white.
Do you feel obtrusive when holding a white phone ? i.e. do the white bezels create distraction when viewing the screen ?
57. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Do as erica griffin suggested. Buy a black model, buy a white back cover. It looks great.
75. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Agreed but at the front, the white bezels look extremely cheap and generic, especially when the screen is off. Black back is hideous though with all those dots clearly visible. Personal experience.
90. RuiBacelar (Posts: 153; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
But they are extremely cheap and generic...but yes, it seems a tad better in black.
But keep in mind that the White one will look better when the chrome finish starts to peel of, I can atest that on a GS3 and GS4.
Be advised, plastic chrome peels of.
33. cheetah2k (Posts: 1583; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
At least my S5 doesn't cook in my hands recording 4K video... Z2.. fail
65. knifeslicer (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
that is because S5 limits 4K recording only up to 5mins. On the other hand, Sony recommends users to use high quality SD cards to address that kind of concern when recording in 4K.:)
53. CoastCity (Posts: 256; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
Z2's camera is the worst because, as a specialist, I can judge from
photo 8 that it can't capture some objects. A duck is missing!
Shame on you Sony, you screw up big time. I'll go for ChinaCopy brand
55. shahulvm (Posts: 124; Member since: 01 Apr 2012)
Did you ever think that the duck would have moved away or it wouldnt have been in the scene when the shot was taken.
60. tedkord (Posts: 11956; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Did you feel the whoosh of air over your head?
76. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Rofl. That was more than hilarious dude.
106. enzotarece (Posts: 76; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
lol haha u need help u cant afford the z2 dont hate appreciate cuz a duck is missing lol stop more like a specialist in comedy
109. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
lol u sure u a specialist dude, the bird either moved or the Z2 image was taken first and the S5 at which point the duck came into view
58. Onami (Posts: 16; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Simply this test have a problem:
_ S5 use auto HDR
_ Z2 use superior auto, no HDR
Guess what happen? Nothing surprise.
78. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
But I thought it was so good it could stand on it's own? All that talk for nothing. S5 > Z2
85. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I'm still happy with my Z2, for me this is the greatest device :) Chopping Board > Band Aid ;)
99. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10457; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Functionality (S5) > bandwagon phone (Z2)
104. PunyPoop (Posts: 752; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
How do you define a bandwagon? I think it suits the S5 and it suits you, when HTC One M8 are not yet released your excited to get it, when in fact, you hate HTC. Act your age Smurf..
110. refillable (Posts: 1047; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
That conclusion is not worthy of saying. If you prefer S5, then just don't buy the Z2. Stop stating things which you don't like with words that are not describing the product correctly.
28. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
This comparison hasn' been conducted by PhoneArena. Check out the source below the article.
66. sar44 (Posts: 278; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
Phonearena, are you paid or just haters?
Kalman gray test is not in a movie mode, and a color with a distorted benchmark, the browsers test with chrome, and now these last two pictures
73. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Source of this test is Cnet.de not phonearena
94. RuiBacelar (Posts: 153; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
Humm...the 1st pic looks better on the Z2, the other outdoor pics looks better on GS5, so...overhall outdoor experience goes to Samsung Galaxy S5.
Indoor performance, well you have to be blind to deny that the Z2 has more detail and color richness, pics simply look better on Z2.
Low-light, well if your goal is to "see something" than Z2, if it's "keeping it real" then GS5. Personaly I think that in low-light it's better to see something, overexposed yes, but something, than some acurate shadows.
Both phones are impressive in camera department.