Galaxy S5 scores amazing on our battery life test: the longest-lasting flagship has the endurance of a tablet
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2014, 08:40 posted on
Are you sitting down? You'd better be, as we have a new king of our battery life test, and it is none other than Samsung's Galaxy S5. It managed the whopping 8 hours and 14 minutes of screen-on time in our grueling battery endurance run, which is the best result we've seen so far from any flagship...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1017; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Excellent endurance, great optimization of that 2800 mAh battery Samsung!
7. pwnarena (Posts: 1008; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
they can't afford the phone or it's not available in their area.
96. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Why no nokia lumia 1520 then.... I bait it is cheaper than Samsung galaxy s5......
152. sgodsell (Posts: 1837; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The Samsung Note 3 is not up there as well. I guess its not listed because the note 3 is a phablet with a really big battery.
97. buccob (Posts: 1813; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Well how about the Z1 Compact then? They already did the full review months ago...
This battery Test was great news, but they skip selectively some handsets as if they don't want to make them look good on purpose...
66. Tizen007 (Posts: 574; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
If the Sony Z2 Tab has a life of 6h and 54min then that means the Sony Z2 smartphone will likely have a lower battery life then that...
I picked up my S5 today and it's AWESOME. People who still thinks the phone has poor design and quality build; go see the phone yourself ! The grey line that goes around the phone makes it look premium unlike the official render. It feels really good in your hand, and the "band aid" back is not true. It rather feels like they used the premium material from luxury cars for the back !
The phone has amazing display, battery, FEATURES, camera, and useful gimmicks! I highly recommend the phone!!!
77. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
its still PLASTIC cheap low plastic, there is no sign of premuim touch to it when you hold it or touch the phone
m8 is pure class of its own with sumptous eptimome
85. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
yet, no one would buy it, as I read in an article here 2 weeks ago that sales are weak. wow, why?
100. tedkord (Posts: 6217; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Sales were weak two weeks ago because it wasn't on sale two weeks ago.
103. Tizen007 (Posts: 574; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
When I'm holding a Sony phone it feels and looks like a glass box; my senses have a hard time to tell if the material is actually premium or not. For me this is because the feeling on the side of your palm when you are holding a Sony phone is very unpleasant. + It's heavy = VERY UNPLEASANT feeling.
When I'm holding a GS5 it feels really good, lighter than most flagships, and the design feels more premium when you're actually holding the phone.
The design render of the Sony Z2 is beautiful but when you are actually holding a Sony phone you will soon realize that the feeling in your hand is very unpleasant. The GS5 is the exact opposite : Horrible render but premium feeling and design when you're actually holding it. Plus much much better user interface (Touchwiz) than Sony's.
I HIGHLY recommend the Samsung Galaxy S5 for the people who are comparing this device with other phones.
134. jeeta444 (Posts: 135; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
stop lying man...!! you are misleading the people... we all know samsung devices are plastic soap box....and if your senses take hard time to believe if the material in Z2 is premium or not , it means you need an instant check up....or either you are biassed..!!
141. refillable (Posts: 799; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Guys, don't get mislead by this guy. These things are just pure personal preference. Some people prefer beautiful design more than ergonomic designs. Some prefer the other way around. We know S5 is comfortable to hold, but don't ever use your personal experience as it was everything to decide about.
108. Slammer (Posts: 1283; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
You are so wrong about this phone. All you have done is mimic Steve Jobs' sound bites with no actual valid thought process. You constantly jump into this site and replay the same message over and over and over again thinking that your opinion is going to change the entire world's outlook. Is everything in your house metal? Toilet? Mattress? Dinner ware? Curtains? Do you feel the corvette zr1 is cheap because it is not made of metal? Lamborghinis?
Really. Your argument is negated on the principle that you limit yourself to the same speech pattern.
I happened to purchase my S5 today and regardless of polycrabonate shell, this phone doesn't feel all that cheap at all. The looks are much more stunning than tech sites were reporting and the mere fact that a heavily used electronic device has a removable battery is a huge plus. And now that I have a case on it, it really looks no different than my friends HTC ONE. In fact, he is blown away by my S5, that his wife is getting it next week. He is getting his in a month.
If you want to validate any kind of respectable relevancy, please ascend to a more dignified script when trying to compare things. The "It's cheap plastic" quote by you is old and tired.
142. zebraman (Posts: 8; Member since: 11 Sep 2013)
i got my S5 the other day for me and my wife the phone is awesome and it looks great too. personally i dont like the look of the sony phones. they dont look premium at all its just a waterproof rectangle with a button that sticks out the side.
138. RuiBacelar (Posts: 152; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
It's like putting make-up in a chewbacca face. Materials before Looks.
But still, battery seems impressive.
Waiting to see how the Z2 behaves, btw, I can get 2 days normal use with Z1.
71. LGisgood (Posts: 580; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
LG G2 has better BATTERY IN TALK TIME AND BROWSING than S5!
84. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Why don't you tell us the overall battery life of G2 and S5 as well from gsmarena ? Let me tell you in case you missed it
LG G2: 62 hours (with 3200mah)
GS5: 72 hours (with 2800mah)
Also, these overall battery life is what general users care as no one talks or browses for 7-8 hours straight.
86. AfterShock (Posts: 3697; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Yeah odd how the G2 smokes the S5 across the board in tests but was rated lesser.
First post on that thread at gsmarena, the poster calls out them stats as bogus too.
93. tech2 (Posts: 2825; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Dude, its simple logic. G2 has poor stand-by time in comparison to gs5. Hence, the difference.
Gsmarena and Anandtech are probably the most reliable names in this game.
132. AfterShock (Posts: 3697; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
So really, stand by is better.
That kind of seems like the only thing.
At any rate, it's better then many.
18. jdoee100 (Posts: 331; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
S5 has one of the best screens and cameras, and now has the best battery life. Enough said.
41. akki20892 (Posts: 3744; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
50. tomislav96 (Posts: 6; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
best chip? while having best battery, thats wonderfull :D
56. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
no its not the best chip,,, the TEGRA4 and Exyonos 5420 is much powerfull and has more torque than the S801
the best chip is used by apple iphone5s which uses an ARM A57 A15 CORTEX, not this over clocked A9 CORTEX
116. true1984 (Posts: 653; Member since: 23 May 2012)
the exynos only does well on benchmarks. in everyday usage, its terrible. and tegra? honestly nvidia is a joke when it comes to mobile processors. a bad one
151. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
This ”best chip" used by Apple, could not start even the Note 3, and what about S-pen and the multi-window? :-)
40. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 407; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Yes! That's what. Even the m8 provides great battery life. We can clearly see that just a bulky battery wont mean everything *cough*z1*cough*. Software optimisations and other factors like chipset, display and hardware optimisations matter alot also. S5 provides the best combo without giving up on specs at all. Just want to see how the z 2 manages, but knowing sony...meh.
44. walnuttt (Posts: 144; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Whoever haters saying that S5 sucks are the ones who really sucks, eat your words now haters with your crappy phones.
57. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Eeryone hates it cause its build with cheap recycled plastic and not aluminium or metal
look at oppo7 the best the grand marques of prestige phone, not this cheap plastic
67. shuaibhere (Posts: 1759; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I think samsung haters =/ everyone....
There are million people who plastic samsung phones than the soda can aluminium....
68. shuaibhere (Posts: 1759; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I think samsung haters =/ everyone....
There are million people who love plastic samsung phones than the soda can aluminium....
87. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Everyone hates it? yet everyone buys it. what's an oppo...? is this a washing machine? a tv? what's that?
111. walnuttt (Posts: 144; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Put always in your mind that plastic is way better than soda can aluminum why? Well, your phone is prone to serious damage when accidentally falls of the floor etc. than the plastic so stop praising your soda can aluminum. Lastly, Samsung is using POLYCARBONATE plastic always.
124. walnuttt (Posts: 144; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
Arte-8800, everybody hates S5? really? Or its just you who hate it. And comparing S5 to Oppo 7 is like comparing a trash can (oppo 7) to gold bars (S5). You just made me laugh.
135. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
i dont hate the phone WALNUTT, but i deeply really hate plastic phone. though i have a NOTE3 EXYNOS version.
oppo uses carbon fibre and steel and metal aluminuim on its phone, just like my beloved pride nd joy ARTE8800 NOKIA which has
S5 is pure jnk plastic dustbin bags, dont samsung have any self respect thsat everyone is insulting there s5 with plastic
tell me do you have plastic chairs or plastic sofas in your dinning room, im not insulting you but we are pating 700euro for cheap plastic,,,,
137. walnuttt (Posts: 144; Member since: 11 Apr 2014)
S5 costs 700 euros because it is a flagship phone, whats new with that? We all know that every flagship phones that every company releases will really have that price (more or less) so that's not a big deal. If somebody can afford 700 euros then buy it, if not then no one is forcing him to buy such phone. Lastly, Samsung is not the only company who uses plastic on their phone but Nokia, Apple, Sony (somehow) etc because they know that plastic is durable, strong and sturdy. So why you're angry in samsung with that.
this plastic really sells like hotcakes than the "so called sturdy to be *cough* aluminum *cough*"
47. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Phone arena didn't test it in real life. They just ran Java script to get the result. How can people believe this fake result? even gsmarena battery test showed score is below the note 3... Stop this, it's not accurate! !!!!!!!!
54. LionStone (Posts: 520; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Yep, I'd trust Anandtech test more than this one.
63. LionStone (Posts: 520; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Here you go for a real test by ANANDTECH: Brace yourselves people we have a new King and it's the HTC M8!
AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy S 5 Review
94. wilsong17 (unregistered)
so you want people to believe the htc m8 fail camera the king nice try fanboy
117. true1984 (Posts: 653; Member since: 23 May 2012)
the camera is good enough for some especially those who already have really good digital cameras. besides, you cant expect pro grade pic from a camera with no ois
58. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
true, if anyone wants to know the real estate you should visit GSMARENA or ANANDTECH
75. bestmvno (Posts: 215; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
Get over it. This is a valid test. I've achieved similar results to their battery test on my nexus 5. No two sites are going to give the exact same results as they all use different methodologies for testing. The SGS5 has excellent battery life no matter which website you go to, to make yourself happy. To whoever is posting HTC is the new king, did you even bother reading the article on anandtech? Htc lasted longer under some conditions and sgs5 in others. No phone is capable of longer battery than sgs5 when power saving is activated, even though device is somewhat limited with that feature enabled.
101. LionStone (Posts: 520; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
Yea. Where the S5 outlasted the M8 in the hard compute tests, it did so at the cost of performance! The metal casing handled the heat better than the plastic! haha :-)
110. bestmvno (Posts: 215; Member since: 07 Mar 2014)
So you also find nothing suspicious about a battery test that shows lte lasting longer than wifi? Something is not right about that. Also 9h battery life for Web browsing on an n5 seems a bit off the mark.
76. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 386; Member since: 07 May 2012)
still no match for the lumia 1520
79. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
well cause the wp platform has a light platform and dosent need heavy resources like android, but true that phone got 100 hours rated by GSMARENA
115. xfire99 (Posts: 583; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Stop with freaking Lumia 1520:http://versus.com/en/nokia-lumia-1520-vs-samsung-galaxy-s5
3800mah vs 2800mah
162.8 x 85.4 x 8.7 mm vs 142 x 72.5 x 8.1
I rather choose S5 then big and clumpsy 1520.
133. express77 (unregistered)
finally something better than just adding more.
2. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Still can't beat the mid range Xperia C lol. But of course, we all love phones with good battery life, so good job Samsung.
6. pwnarena (Posts: 1008; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
they're close and you can't compare their abilities. they look equally not-good-looking though.
13. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
The Xperia C looks better than the Galaxy S5. I saw both in a store.
81. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
thats one of there big problem which i agree, and in the z3 hope it uses a better battery and use the upgrade to achieve better performance
119. pwnarena (Posts: 1008; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
go news for you
78. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 386; Member since: 07 May 2012)
all sony phones look better than samsung's phones
80. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
WELL true said, SONY is a class of its own, its using DRAGONTRAL glass at the front and back. no company is using that best glass on there phone which is near to sapphire glass
SONY is on a diffrent leauge totally vs Samsung cheap low plastic
disgusting hate plastic