Galaxy S5 price shaping up to be around €650 in Europe, before carrier subsidies
0. phoneArena 04 Mar 2014, 04:28 posted on
A couple of preorder pages, and leaks from local retailers, peg the price of Samsung's Galaxy S5 flagship to be in the ballpark of EUR 650, before any carrier subsidies. The handset is up for preorder on a Dutch vendor's website already, priced EUR 652 for the black 16 GB version...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
WOW, 650 Euro for this ugly piece of plastic.
Hey Sammy, if you see Apple and Sony price their phones like that, thats because they use premium material, not cheap plastic.
9. vincelongman (Posts: 1556; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
aluminium premium material?
lol, premium coke cans aye
Sure its more premium than plastic, but its far from premium
Also the Z2 has plastic along the sides, and the white version still stains easily
11. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
That's a lie, Xperia Z2 has an aluminium frame, and if you're afraid of the stains, don't buy the white color or put a case on it. Problem solved.
12. vincelongman (Posts: 1556; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Nope, Sony said it has the same plastic ring around the aluminium frame, just like the Z1S (T-Mobile Z1), to increase its reception.
Hopefully the final product doesn't stain.
13. emadshiny (Posts: 1142; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
And you're just sticking to that thin frame around the aluminum and forget about the back panel and aluminum frame?
18. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1254; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
So, milled and anodized aircraft-grade aluminum is the same as Coke can aluminum? I'll use that logic if I ever buy my own small plane.
32. vincelongman (Posts: 1556; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Fair point, still really soft, gets scratched and scuffed too easily
3. MrTzr (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
700 euro's in the Netherlands. That's 963 USD.
5. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
I'm waiting for Z2's pricing now. I expect it to be a little more expensive.
19. MrTzr (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
It's actually less expensive than the S5 here in Holland.
6. Apoorvtheman (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Very bad decision by Samsung,Xperia z2 seems to be a good option as its a little cheaper and has the same powerhouse (if not better)
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Wao, 650 Euros? WTF...really? No thank you. Xperia Z2 is more worth buying than this.
Epic fail, Samsung!
8. baldilocks (Posts: 540; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
This is why I like seeing phones like the Nexus 5, the Motorola X and the Motorola G on the market. They are priced at what phones SHOULD be priced at.
10. vincelongman (Posts: 1556; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Agreed, phones cost about $200 for OEM to make.
Sure R&D cost aren't included, but still $350-400 still leaves them with very good profit
14. Vanster (Posts: 124; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
yeah plus $450 for superbowl, olympiade, and elen selfie
17. baldilocks (Posts: 540; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
$329-$379 off contract for Moto X. Yes, I am sure about that. :) It's affordable when compared to a $600-$800 phone.
21. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
$329-$379? Pretty sure it cost $579-$629 when it launched.
31. Killua (Posts: 270; Member since: 25 Nov 2013)
I guess you really didn't follow it when it launched in the US for the first time.
20. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1254; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
The Moto X didn't start that cheap, the Nexus 5 is corner-cutting trash, and the Moto G is a barebones cheap phone without LTE. If everyone thought like you, there would be two phone OEMs, and both would sell uninspired, up imaginative garbage that would still be using old components.
30. NexusX (Posts: 158; Member since: 16 May 2013)
got a zte awe from targer for $20 on black Friday without contract. it has a dual-core snapdragon chip, back and front face camera and a good ips screen. it's getting harder and harder to justify the price tags of these flag ship phones, even at $20 my phone does everything the galaxy s4 does, web browsing, gps, music, video. unless some crazy revolutionary must-have technology comes with these phones, I really don't see the reason buy another galaxy
16. Astoni (Posts: 560; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
650? gotta suck.. For the first time its cheaper in sweden xD. its around 590 euros here if you pre-order :p.
22. xfire99 (Posts: 560; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
More like 670 Euro. Sweden is never cheap on anything duh.
SM-P605 32GB still cost 790 Euro and I bought mine at Ebay for 599 Euro last year. -.-
29. Astoni (Posts: 560; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
IF you order from swedish carrier :p. If you buy from a normal store.. not so much :p
23. nexusdude (Posts: 151; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
Better buy two Nexus 5's. Correction, even one is better.
24. deacz (Posts: 156; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
s5 650€+ vs LG G2 for 399, yea dont think so the s5 hardware isnt that much of an upgrade + its larger
25. Heatfan316 (Posts: 445; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Wait a minute, didn't they say this phone was supposed to be cheaper than previous models?
26. limporgyuk (Posts: 152; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Samsung bashing has never been so much fun [& easy]