Galaxy S5 might sport a 5"+ 2560x1440 AMOLED screen, leaked Samsung Display CEO presentation hints
0. phoneArena 19 Nov 2013, 03:33 posted on
We have the whole Analyst Day presentation of Samsung Display's CEO Kinam Kim leaking out, and on slide number 11 inside, 2014 is clearly marked as the year Samsung will reach 560ppi phone displays, and of the Super AMOLED variety at that. Next up in the lofty goals is making such displays with plastic substrate, like on the Galaxy Round, but mass producing such panels is probably some time off still. Nevertheless, a 560ppi AMOLED screen on the Galaxy S5 would be pretty amazing, as it would mean resolutions in the 2560x1440 pixels ballpark at a 5.3" size...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. darkskoliro (Posts: 885; Member since: 07 May 2012)
lel S5 same size as note 1.... (I know, different aspect ratio but still).
people need to learn from Sony. Create two flagships: one 4.3" and one that you can actually hold in your hand.
13. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 660; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
i think samsung s5 mini ll be 720p screen + 1.4 quad core same s3 one (may be )......... lol
24. vipervoid123 (Posts: 45; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Still weaker than Z1s as rumors said ~
56. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 660; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
(may be) coz samsung dont to ruin flagship sale n popularity
thats y they offer less in mini versions
26. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 210; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Go Galaxy Go Go...
First i thought my S3 Display is best .. how can be better than this..but all that was wrong when i first saw S4 Display..Its all not about only pixel density !
29. Piotrek007 (Posts: 76; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
1st of all you are totally wrong by comparing future S5 to ANY note...
Samsung proved that they can make S4 (with 5' screen) smaller than S3 (with 4.8' screen)... The 5.3' screen will be probably the same size as LG G2, so it will be just slightly more stretched than S4....
46. wrm2013 (Posts: 121; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Exactly. For the first time ever I'm debating buying a iPhone because I can't find a high spec android phone that isn't huge.
49. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
I already jumped ship for the same reason. Once you get a taste of 1:1 touch response on iOS it gets more difficult to switch back to Android.
59. Ashoaib (Posts: 604; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
I ditched my iphone due to this reason... since then I am in peace... I hope hell no to apple forever, i hope... may be will change my mind in future
2. androiphone20 (Posts: 1107; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
I am way past the point of being wowed by anything being throwed at smartphones, not really my definition of innovation but a upgrade which by the way is good
11. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2964; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I'd rather have 4.5- 5 inch HD screen with battery optimized to run 5 days without charging.
21. cezarepc (Posts: 442; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
I wouldn't mind if they throw water-proofing and and a good 8MP camera (Lumia 920 quality) to go with it.
28. levizx (Posts: 7; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
DROID MAXX isn't that far from that direction.
57. wilsong17 (Posts: 254; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
note 2 can do that ty very much and its 5.5inch
67. 14545 (Posts: 983; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Seriously. I have the s4, and it is nice. But I would rather a 4.7 inch or less sized device with the same thin bezel. The size @ 5 inch is just too big to comfortably hold/use with one hand. Something I actually like to do.
4. omacmagic (Posts: 25; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Not a fan of amoled screens I prefer the IPS screens on LG and HTC.
32. alouden (Posts: 167; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Ditto. Loved the S3 and S4. But I want to change it up with my next phone. I will be going with an IPS screen on my next phone. I also just want to try something different.
63. darkskoliro (Posts: 885; Member since: 07 May 2012)
The only thing I hate about AMOLED is the fact that web browsing sucks (all LEDs are on), its lifetime degrades, and colour accuracy can be punchy for movies but just bad for everything else. Love how you can turn individual ones on and off, its great for notifications. Aside from that, I prefer LCD in almost every other way.
68. 14545 (Posts: 983; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
until they can introduce local dimming like tv's, I don't like LCD's for the power consumption issue. If they come out with local dimming where it can light up very small sections of the screen for notifications, then I would agree.
5. GeekMovement (Posts: 1497; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
wow well if they can manage the battery and keep it lasting longer than their current flagships then i'd be curious to see it myself.
6. D.Aceveda (Posts: 351; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Really? It's not like you can see pixels on a 440+ ppi screen.
The spec race is getting stupid. Focus on battery technology and stop just increasing the size of the battery, Samsung
9. maccess (Posts: 478; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
as long as they still manage to make everything compact , bigger battery is always a wise option.. and we know samsung is good for making a compact phones..
42. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6606; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Note 3, S4, Galaxy Blaze 4G come to mind.
45. Tuxedo (Posts: 100; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
You are absolutely wrong bud. The right thing to do is use the battery more effectively. Look at the iPhone...
60. maccess (Posts: 478; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
so you really comparing the much more power hungry android to very light OS like IOS?? and i dont think iphone has good battery life too..
70. Tuxedo (Posts: 100; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Using the battery more effectively means making Android less power hungry. That is what the actual problem is. Don't just blindly accept that Android is more "power hungry" and as such needs a bigger battery. This is the same line of thinking that lead us to American gas guzzlers with 7+ liter engines getting pathetic mpg. Look at the direction the car industry is heading now.
7. sri_tech (Posts: 184; Member since: 21 May 2013)
These pixels race is worse than GHz & multi-core race on PC's.
18. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1098; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I haven't seen any core or GHz race with PC's. Of course if you want like 3 4k displays and play heavy games and doing photo shop at the same time you need quite a powerful machine.
22. cezarepc (Posts: 442; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
How can someone play heavy games while doing photoshop at the same time?
25. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1098; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Weell. It was an example. But even if nobody can actually do those at the same time somebeody can do something that requires the same amount of power than doing photoshop and gaming.
31. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Are you too young to remember the PC CPU and GPU races? AMD VS Intel? Nvidia vs ATI?
Back in the day I had the fastest computer on the block with my single core x86 Intel Pentium 4 with hyperthreading over clocked to 1.8GHz. Combined with my 256mb ati radeon 9800 xt and 512mb of ram I was playing battlefield 1942 with no lag on a 108.8kbps DSL line.
Its amazing how my tablet fits a package 8 times as powerful into a 7" form factor and runs on a rechargeable battery. And at less than a quarter of the price.
33. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1098; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I'm 15. But that really isn't a ridiculous race like this resolution thing. It's just normal improvement with these parts. Of course a 3,4 GHz 8 core is faster than 2,3 GHz 4 core. Well yeah of course there are other stuff too like chase and stuff but anyway.
And after all a higher resolution screen is always better. But yeah they should first improve the power and battery and the display otherwise. After that they can bump up the resolutions imo.
Of course competing companies are trying to make better products than the others. I wouldn't really call this CPU thing a "stupid race". They're just making stuff better.
34. ArtSim98 (Posts: 1098; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
And you're basically comparing a 2002 product to a 2013 product. Since BF 1942 came in 2002 and your nexus 7 2013
35. D.Aceveda (Posts: 351; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Just Google search the Ghz race. The comparison is going right over your head
38. cezarepc (Posts: 442; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Ha, ha, and another ha.
The GHZ race brought company-server-class-hardware to house computers even before consumer programs and games that required 1/5th of that power was developed.
The GHZ race was just about as stupid as the megapixel race and the PPI race.
47. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Duh. Its still amazing to see how far its come in 10 years. Whereas the internal combustion engine has gained at most 4x improvement in performance over the last 50 years.
69. 14545 (Posts: 983; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Cars had that kind of performance growth from like 1920-1970. Now it is just marginal improvements.
8. JMartin22 (Posts: 639; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
I don't care about the resolution war anymore. As long as this next-generation AMOLED panel offers tremendous color reproduction improvements, energy efficiency, and brightness increases that we saw in the AMOLED jump from 720p to 1080p.
It's only been like 3 years, and AMOLED is close to matching the capacity of even the best matured high quality LCD displays, which have been in the making for many more DECADES.
12. emadshiny (Posts: 1081; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
What a leak!
Its more like a flood than a leak!!
14. goojman (Posts: 44; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The screen on my Note 3 is crazy awesome as it is. I can't imagine screens getting better to the point that people can notice the difference.
15. proto (Posts: 44; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
no please. None needs that...thx.
i just want better battery life and display like this will just drain battery and give nothing in return.
41. Jason2k13 (Posts: 548; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
samsung is the best at offering better battery life in their flagship phones, while making it small and compact at the same time.
17. lukasound (Posts: 149; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
I'm not upgrading from fullHD until they make a 5120x2880 5" inch screen. Or maybe even 10240x5760.
27. _Bone_ (Posts: 2061; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Wait, what? Stretchable device?????
You don't fold your device between phone and tab but stretch it? So awesome!
36. tiara6918 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Super Amoled ftw! The screen on the note 3 is already fantastic, I can't wait to see a better generation of amoled
37. Cyberchum (Posts: 200; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
I don't know when something unnecessary translates to something pretty amazing , they better cram a monster battery in that thing.
39. Pattycakes (Posts: 22; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
The human eye can't see above 326 ppi. So anything above that ppi is just a waste of battery. And you can't see the difference with ppi unless you glue your face on the screen.
44. YouGotTrolledSon (banned) (Posts: 41; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
Did Apple tell you that? Typical iPhone user
62. Pattycakes (Posts: 22; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
Typical brainless PA user. I've had a galaxy 2. I've used a s3, s4, galaxy note 3 which my cousins or aunts/uncles had. I literally glued my face on the ipad mini with 163 ppi and found a meh difference with 163 ppi with 326 ppi. Seriously whats the point of these stupid comments. I mean seriously I like Apple, Google, and Samsung, and I have used all of their products at one point.
43. AJtheAndroid (Posts: 24; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Htc had it right with keeping the flagship under 5 (they probably won't this year but...) I think its getting I little ridiculous with the screen sizes on the flagships now...trust me I'm no 4incher guy. But I think a flagship should be 4.5 - 5. Like some else said now it's just a upgraded note 1. I think Samsung is loosing its touch now. "Ok you see this s4" "yeah" "keep everything the same but make the screen .2 inches bigger and make tha battery a little bigger" "ok" "oh, and slap some new laggier touchwiz on it"
48. xtremesv (Posts: 180; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
1080 on a smartphone is overkill, 1440 is just so unnecessary. What I need is superb battery life and not a phone that has to reduce bright intensity now and then only to avoid overheating as my S4 does. I would be more than satisfied with a 5.2" FHD display, a more premium feeling device, a large battery (3200+ mHa) and a camera with OIS, actually I think I've just described the LG G2 hehe.