Galaxy S5 gets owned by the lowly Moto E in this real-life speed test (video)
0. phoneArena 21 May 2014, 07:00 posted on
You can buy six Moto E phones with stock Android for the price of one Galaxy S5 with TouchWiz, but how much better is Samsung's flagship performance, compared to the barebones budget phone from Motorola? Well, judging from the video below, the stripped-down Android experience trumps TouchWiz any day of the week, even when it's driven by the most potent Snapdragon chipset currently on the market...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. hafini_27 (Posts: 240; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
Samsung loves to throw in lots of unnecessary stuffs in their phones. That's why I hate touchwiz.
10. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
They are trying to be a catch all company. It's good and bad the same time.
84. PunyPoop (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Moto G looks premium side by side with the S5, I'm dead serious! One of my favorite brand MOTOROLA!
11. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4054; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Why do you hate Touchwiz.
All the features are upon yourself to use the features or to turn it off
53. Topcat488 (Posts: 1124; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I bet that the tester is "RIGHT HANDED"... And switching the phones around would have been a more accurate test. Just saying... But then again going into the Gallery, the Moto E was way faster than the S5. O.o
86. JakeH (Posts: 17; Member since: 01 May 2014)
hope a GS5 google play edition will be released to make it faster
2. ShenAlJoker (Posts: 86; Member since: 19 Jul 2013)
Read this and THINK!
3. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Just shows that Touchwiz is slower than vanilla.
13. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4054; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
It's packed with so many features that the Cpu can't kep upto it.
What you can do is Root it use a app called SetCpu and change the Cpu from ondeman to performance mode and there you will see no lags on Touchwiz
25. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4054; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Pathetic Samsung should use 3500mah battery, if they wanted to eliminate lag totally
92. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2117; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Absolutely, because everyone knows how direct the correlation between battery size & fluidity of the device is.
71. jrod78414 (Posts: 101; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
i know 30 minutes all phones die stick to IPHONE 22 hours of love
31. troutsy (Posts: 248; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
You should post less often, but more meaningful content.
72. jrod78414 (Posts: 101; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
been posting since this morning cramping the fingers
33. chocowii (Posts: 327; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Thats why I dont like Samsung, they sell you bloats that will slow down your device..
4. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
All this shows is that Moto is doing really good things for the low end market. Maybe with them and Nokia providing actual good phones....others will focus on better low end experiences.
Might also show Samsung....really....really....needs to get a handle on Touchwiz.
5. Jason2k13 (Posts: 639; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
So this is the lag trolls and haters are talking about Samsung? which no one will notice in real life and everyday use?
Also touchwiz is always set up to contain animated transitions which is the reason why its slightly slower to opening apps , go to settings --> developer options --> turn off window animation, transition animation and animator duration scale all to 'OFF'.
This dude also didn't show if he turned off all the background and recent apps on the S5.
I say this is a bait video and watch the samsung haters flock the comment section.
7. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
But if animations is on for both phones.....then the problem points to Touch Wiz.
The same things about background and recent apps can also be said about the Moto E.
Its not about the GS 5 looking bad....I wonder who noticed the title change...lol....but how well Moto is doing in the low end.
14. Jason2k13 (Posts: 639; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
But it does look suspicious how he didn't include these important parts in a video don't you think?
29. Retro-touch (Posts: 252; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
It's not meant to be an in depth look on the differences between the two its meant to highlight how fast stock Android really is, the Google Play Edtion S4 is blazing fast compared to the touchwiz S4 is a perfect example
34. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Yea...I knew fans of Samsung, the GS5 were gonna take offense..
But I think the focus should be more on the Moto E and its performance vs something that has better specs.
56. hurrycanger (Posts: 980; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
I totally agree with you. And I wonder how the Moto E will perform after the user installs some apps and games.
But at the same time, I'm impressed by the Moto E.
9. Sniggly (Posts: 6779; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
It's not really a "hater" thing. I've noticed that while Samsung phones start out fast, they become unforgivably slow pretty quick, sometimes less than a year after release. Touchwiz is not good software, by Samsung's own admission.
Again, not a hater. I'd still take a Samsung device over Apple, Windows Phone, LG, and even HTC (in that order).
19. Gemmol (Posts: 493; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Your so right, but this happens with every android it happen when I had the atrix from Motorola, first galaxy note, galaxy note 2, galaxy 2 galaxy 3........i still got galaxy note 3 but I haven't been using it much so i cannot say if it will happen to galaxy note 3, I am using Lumia 1520 all the time so I will know once a year reach if this happens to windows phone or not.....if it don't you gotta give windows props......for me to get all those other android to run smooth again i had to do a hard reset.....lets hope this dont happen to my 1520......
(Written from my beautiful red 1520)http://tinypic.com/view.php?pi
69. Sniggly (Posts: 6779; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Six months so far on my Moto X and it's held up beautifully. When I ripped the original software out of my Atrix and loaded a Jelly Bean ROM on it, apart from the inherent instability of being an unofficial ROM, it ran beautifully. On the official Gingerbread software (which also had an overlay akin to Touchwiz) it didn't so much.
Stock Android has gotten really, REALLY good. It's Samsung's overlay that kind of kills its devices in my experience.
15. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4054; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
So you have to close all apps for the Phone and Touchwiz to function properly.. So that means the weak Cpu can't keep up with Touchwiz...
Why don't they use a iNtel. Atom or Silverlight. Baytrail and then you won't be complaining about slow laggy Touchwiz
17. Jason2k13 (Posts: 639; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
so a 0.5 seconds difference in speed is considered slow laggy and not functioning properly?
21. Shatter (Posts: 1989; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Wondering if they set the transition speed on the moto e to .5x and left Samsung's at 1x so the moto e looked faster.
36. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Conspiracy theories .... Why not animations off on the Moto E?
Sometimes...it is what it is.
73. jrod78414 (Posts: 101; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
make youtube video of this. I will watch
39. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
A post below reminded me of something......lets take benchmarks.
Pretty sure the GS5 will beat it in all kinds of benchmarks, right? So....which will be noticed more in everyday use....benchmarks or UI, app use.
41. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 357; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
If you and I watched the same video you'd know that the apps loaded slower on the S5 and it had nothing to do with transitions, the S5 was just slower and laggier and this is on an S5, the 5th iteration of the Galaxy Series and a CPU that should be more than fast enough to keep the OS running smoothly at least for the basic performances.
Of course this is all thanks to Touchwiz. Also, you say lag trolls and haters but a lot of those people actually face lag in Samsung devices, like me (S, SII, Note II, Note III, S4, S5). It may start out smooth, but over time, even simple things like opening the contacts app takes ages with 4 seconds of looking at a black screen.
On my Note II, sometimes I will do a ton of scrolling and the screen won't respond, but suddenly it will respond and do all those swipes 2 seconds after I had done the last one. All of this only happens in Touchwiz apps which says a lot.
46. Jason2k13 (Posts: 639; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
1. recent apps and not closing background apps can slow down the opening time of apps.
2. All android phones especially with a custom skin lags, not just samsung.
3. People will usually blame samsung and use it to compare with others, because its the most popular android phone.
4. I find it ironic how people who say "samsung phones are laggy", claim they own many samsung phones. So Samsung phones are apparently bad and laggy yet they continue to buy it? Yep sounds legit.
78. true1984 (Posts: 586; Member since: 23 May 2012)
the m7 and m8 dont lag... and vanilla definitely doesnt
65. corporateJP (Posts: 1548; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Touch Wiz ruins the experience.
After the junk known as the S3, I swore to never run another Samsung again until they get their act together, and I'm still waiting...
83. xondk (Posts: 61; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
One thing I think people aren't realising is that the smaller phone in this test at least also needs to do less work. Resolution alone plays a big role in how things both are perceived and handled internally.
Moto E: 540 x 960
G5 : 1080x1920
that is a massive difference the moto e only has to handle a fourth of the rendering the g5 does. And this is just one thing, but also the reason I don't get that people want beyond full hd resolution.
yes the g5 is more then 4 times as powerful then the moto e, so it shouldn't really be a problem and isn't in general, however if you look at the actual time of the events the actual rendering is almost identical, what the s5 is 'slower' in is actually response time, when he presses the icon, which almost always suffers when you increase resolution.
That said touchwiz probably causes some lose in responsiveness, my question is, is it really that noticable? or do people just want to complain about the tiniest thing.
If there was several seconds of difference, then maybe I can understand, but as it is no not really.
And also note before people scream 'gallery', notice g5 has more to load then moto e, so yes, it might take longer, a better comparing video would be one showing them from start to finish from stock reset.
87. MobileNico (Posts: 50; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
You are the only one making sense here. I hate TouchWiz just as much as the next guy, but there are far more factors that need to be considered in this comparison.
6. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3074; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
"TouchWiz, bring a lot of flashy eye candy to feast on" Eye candy? how the hell?
BTW this is awesome, the big part i hate about samsung phones UGLY LAGWIZ.
8. darkskoliro (Posts: 953; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Oh man I miss Wendy :( it was fun reading his comments.
60. jrod78414 (Posts: 101; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
lost me bro. you like it ro do you hate it. or Love/hate, just put a custom ROM im lazy i love all lagwiz Tochesensey, Motorblur Not much nexus to basic, lg skiin. Well evryone brings somthing to the table. Thats the beauty. Just like custom ROMs
63. Ninetysix (Posts: 1476; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Except some S5s have a locked bootloader and doesn't have a root method yet (AT&T S5 is one). So much for flashing a custom ROM...lol
16. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Moto e sure is the better phone lol, its slightly smoother in 3 specific areas. Let's not open random apps, let's not open games. It's like buying a expensive tv vs a cheap TV and just showing the few areas the cheap TV is better and claiming it's better. If you really think you will get better performance from moto than a s5 than go a head and buy it. Watch pocketnow moto e review and just see how great it is. Just cause it opened slightly quicker in a few specific areas doesn't mean it's a better performing device. Also there's a difference between animation speed and lag. Samsung for whatever reason prefer slower animations.
23. Shatter (Posts: 1989; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Except an expensive TV blows away a cheap TV in pretty much every way if your not comparing LEDs to Plasmas. If your comparing plasmas to LEDs like a $600-$800 one is similar quality to a $1500-$2000+ one... The Plasma is not perfect though, it won't be as bright, it will use more energy and it will be heavier/less compact.
Its obvious that they set the motos animation speed to .5x so its "faster." Do the same thing to an S5 or any other phone and all the "lag" goes away.
26. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Oh please dont comment stupily on this stupid comparison..! Go buy moto e and enjoy your life...!
32. Shatter (Posts: 1989; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Why would I buy a moto e when I have a Nexus 5?
42. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The Vizios would like a word with you.
They held their own for blacks and contrast, maybe even color. Even for Full Array for LEDs is was as good if not better than expensive brands.
I'm talking LED vs LED, LCD vs LCD.
We cant use expensive vs cheap in comparisons like this when a Vizio uses lot of parts from the other major TV players. Vizio now is considered a better quality brand too vs when it first launched.
50. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
i think you missed my point which is that you can find a few things that the cheaper device is good at against the more expensive device and if all you do is compare the things the cheaper device is good at it will look like the better device but if you compare all aspects and in this case the s5 vs moto e, how quick does it launch a game,how is performance when you have apps in the background etc,how long does it take to render a web page etc etc
24. farhad_per (banned) (Posts: 128; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
What a stupid anti samsung kid with a stupid comparison....! Go to hell you troll..! Its obvious that some stupid anti.sammy try to bash and troll samsung with a video upload...!! Iam a samsung user by 12 years...my first was samsung N100 and now I bought S5 octa after having s3 and I it has never lagged you fool...! And if ever it has some issues,,, no problem at all..! Because touchwiz,s pros is way better than its somtime stutter or lag...! I can live without smart stay... multi window and many touchwizes pros..thats all..!