Galaxy S4 with TouchWiz or Galaxy S4 Google Edition - which one do you prefer?
1. JaseelEbrahim (Posts: 31; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
Unrelated to this,
The new mobile page looks cool
3. smallworld (Posts: 484; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I think gsmarena has one of the best mobile version.
7. JaseelEbrahim (Posts: 31; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
But the new phonearena mobile site is way better than the old one.
46. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Yes agree gsmarena has better mobile site but I don't like their comment trail.
30. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 805; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Phonearena has a mobile site???????????????
47. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
Just noticed. The dislike button is gone. Hurrah!
2. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
I want BOTH!! :D
How about WP on s4? XD
11. joey_sfb (Posts: 5744; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
obviously a clueless lot then what is Samsung ACTIV series for?
20. Kurai (unregistered)
I want the one without the s-bloatware please . . .
15. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
can it runs on iOS?
8. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I think that Google Edition should run smoother and has less gimmicks than TouchWiz.
29. FlushGordon (unregistered)
You obviously haven't tried the S4 touchwiz
35. amats69 (Posts: 1442; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
S4 touchwiz = lag
Samsung's solution... S4 with S800 chip :)
64. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes, I have and I don't know what makes you think that I haven't.
34. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Exactly. Smoother operation, faster updates, and less software gimmicks taking up memory.
48. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
That may not be true as kernels are delivered by Samsung. And they may chose to delay them.
50. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It'll still be a lot faster than the fully skinned Touchwiz version, especially compared to carrier versions.
59. iushnt (Posts: 1708; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
I prefer to wait few milliseconds, than getting a device with abosolutely no features at all than makes an S4, an S4
66. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I wouldn't. With lag and frame skips all over the UI, it would get annoying really quick. Also with a delay as much as 5 months to get an update to the latest Android OS, I don't think a ton of features that take up half the available memory are worth it, especially when most of them are gimmicks and are either impractical or don't work well.
The Google Edition of the GS4 has about 12 GB available, which is a lot more than the measly 8 found on the regular 16 GB GS4. Yes, you have an SD card, but only small apps can be stored on it. So, if you have just a few of the more heavy games on Google Play, you're screwed.
And most of those features that use the front camera (Smart Stay, Smart Scroll, etc.) don't work very well, and practically don't work at all in low light. Other features like Dual Camera and Air Gestures are just impractical and awkward. These are commonly referred to as, "gimmicks."
45. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
According to Anandtech S4 google edition is much more smoother.
51. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
It feels like a waste of all the sensors. Stock Android doesn't provide features which use them. Why do people want to even buy an S4 then? Just get any other device with a Snapdragon 600 chip. And don't tell me you like the design -- I've seen more complaints here about the S4's design than everywhere else about PRISM... *sigh*
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 21315; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Touch wiz. Stock android isn't pretty enough.
17. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You think stock Android isn't as pretty as Touchwiz? It's absolutely beautiful! Touchwiz is good looking, but not even close to stock.
40. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, omg Stock Android. i'm temporarily using a Galaxy Nexus until i get my S4 and even though it's so much less powerful than the DNA i was using before this i just loving using Stock Android 4.2.2 sooo much that it hasn't been so bad regressing much at all. o:
i love Dashclock, it's one of THE reasons to have 4.2.2 which is funny considering it's from a third party. it's so well recognized that Google adds support to Dashclock themeselves.
43. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I know. I can't wait until I get my Nexus 4 soon. Stock Android 4.2.2, just a few weeks away from 4.3 which I'll get nearly instantly, and it's my first quad core phone as well. I'm practically giddy!
44. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
sounds like you have a lot to be excited about man. i'm happy for you. c:
56. darkkjedii (Posts: 21315; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Preference bro, therefore I can't say you're wrong and vice versa.
61. iushnt (Posts: 1708; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Nice response dark, I actually use Stock Android but I prefer touchwiz for its functionality
73. darkkjedii (Posts: 21315; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Thanx iushnt, I just like the overall look of touch wiz more, although stock looks nice too. +1
67. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
You got me there Dark, I respect your opinion, but I gotta say I majorly disagree.
12. proto (Posts: 59; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
what we prefer? plz review it fist, then we should decide :)
13. Pedro0x (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
I would prefer the touchwiz, because it is cheaper and then I would root it and put AOSP ROM on it. And I would not have to wait for kernel from Samsung. And to those who would want WP on it, just install some kind of a WP launcher.
19. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The Touchwiz version is only cheaper on contract. When there are no variables (both 16 GB and unlocked) aside from where you buy it from, the GS4 and GS4 GE are about the same price.
16. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
i prefer touchwiz, i love the features that it comes with and the 0.5 seconds of lag doesn't bother me but i did install nova launcher and the lag is pretty much non-existent.
57. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Exactly! Although it may seem ugly to some, I just can't live some smart features and Multiwindow.
But then again, I'm actually rocking a HOLO-themed Touchwiz ROM. Best of both world!
24. FlushGordon (unregistered)
and that super advanced Ultrapixel technology, well ahead of its time xd....double win.....
28. tmcr7 (Posts: 180; Member since: 02 Nov 2011)
There's no such thing as an ultrapixel in photography. It's just a marketing term for 4MP.
32. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's not a marketing term for 4 MP, it's a marketing term for the giant pixel size compared to other phone cameras, which let in a lot more light.
36. amats69 (Posts: 1442; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
and that super advanced Octacore that still got Lags, Octa win! LOL
23. FlushGordon (unregistered)
Touchwiz has quicker, more intuitive controls
62. iushnt (Posts: 1708; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
but as he told, quicker and intuitive controls..normally, people even don't know what lag means..I have a fren with brand new Gs4, he has no idea about exynos, snapdragon, lag, touchwiz etc..And the phone is fast enough to run any apps
68. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Really? Because I've use the GS4, and it lags. Unlocking it lags, swiping through the home screens lags if you have just a few widgets and a live wallpaper, opening and loading the gallery lags, etc. No device is perfect, that's a fact, but the kind of lag the GS4 has is unacceptable for a 2013 flagship device. I used it for 10 minutes and was annoyed with it, my GS3 is easily twice as smooth, even though it's technically only half as powerful.
I hope the next few updates Samsung sends out fixes the problem, but it shouldn't have been like that in the first place. With the HTC One and LG Optimus G Pro having 1.7 GHz CPUs, 400 MHz GPUs, and DDR2 memory to the GS4's 1.9 GHz CPU, 450 MHz GPU, and DDR3 memory, you would think the GS4 has a clear advantage, but you'd be wrong. The Optimus G Pro and One both run flawlessly despite their comparatively underclocked SoCs and lower transfer rate RAM.
69. iushnt (Posts: 1708; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
Sorry I don't buy your words.. The unit my fren has got works smoothly, not smooth as Iphones but I don't feel lags.. I have played it a lot of times and used its camera to take pics.. Pics comes out good too..I believe what I see.. By the way, it's an exynoals octa version.. Either you are die hard Sammy hater or the unit you used was defective or software optimization for sd600 is not that well now. I haven't seen any positive comments posted by you for Samsung in this article. The s4 has already got its update to transfer apps to SD card and it can transfer some huge apps to like gta games too.
75. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I'm definitely not a Samsung hater. I love my GS3, and I had no complaints with my GS2 aside from the older Touchwiz being kind of ugly.
The Exynos version might have less of a problem with lag because of the bit of extra processing power, or maybe Samsung treated their own SoC to better optimization, either way it's still unacceptable for the Snapdragon version to have lag.