Galaxy S III build quality woes continue, users report cracked framing
0. phoneArena 19 Jul 2012, 06:40 posted on
The Galaxy S III certainly isn't Samsung's strongest phone yet, as we've first heard about the manufacturer getting rid of faulty blue back covers, followed by a number of users discovering small cracks around the camera area of the white variant...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
32. PhoneLuver (Posts: 474; Member since: 05 Jul 2010)
Didn't phonearena have an article about the strength of the Polycarbonate used in the SIII?
Turns out if it feels like cheap plastic, it must be cheap plastic.
34. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
It's the article where Michael was waxing poetics about the virtues of polycarbonate and dodged the issue of recycling.
49. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
polycarbonate is N9 and Lumia...Samsung used cheap-o plastic as always
58. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1828; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I wonder if there is anything to do with they were trying to rush out units and that happened. It could be stronger than plastic but without manufacturing properly it's just garbage...
72. Elvis. (Posts: 25; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Yea, that was Michael.. Sometimes he writes smart and intelligent things... and sometimes he writes some of the most stupid and idiotic things.
47. tegradragon (Posts: 68; Member since: 23 May 2012)
A glass case would be super. Delicate, but awesome!
67. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4179; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Then Apple would sue them because the iPhone has a glass case. I like the idea of ceramic casing better, I believe it was the Pantech Vega that has a full ceramic case, and the One S has that ceramic coated metal.
70. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
problems like these shouldn't arise if samsung made the case unibody. well if they don't like how lumia cases look then they could've made it thicker. extra weight but at least more durable!
2. dragonscourgex (Posts: 307; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Come on Samsung, you can do better then that, I used my Captivate for 2 years and dropped it meany of times, and only has normal wear and tear on it.
91. cheetah2k (Posts: 1155; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
LOL People have to stop sitting on their phones, maybe then the cracks will stop..
3. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
if someone drops the phone it is normal to have marks
4. e.wvu (unregistered)
And this is why Samsung need to stop making cheap quality phones.
5. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Sad news, but all this will be fixed in next Samsung Galaxy. Which mean you'll have to stick with SG2 which is still a great phone and even more great if you Custom ROM it.
73. retrokick (Posts: 16; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
The NEXT Samsung Galaxy? You know this one has been out less than a month, right? Consumers will buy another device before they wait until next year for the next Galaxy to be released.
6. Nickmfnjackson (Posts: 101; Member since: 21 Jan 2010)
My sgs3 has been dropped once or twice, but I have random cracks showing up on my device. The only qualms I have are with the screen. I accidentally put my phone in the same pocket as my key for a second and the screen was had quite a few visible scratches. My sgs 2 screen was much more durable.
20. Nickmfnjackson (Posts: 101; Member since: 21 Jan 2010)
Wait, I just read my post. I meant I have "NO" random cracks on my device. What a wonderful place do make a typo. I still wish the screen was more durable. Don't get me wrong, The sgs 3 is an amazing device and I would still buy Samsung over htc/LG/sony.
7. wendygarett (unregistered)
HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY FANBOY!!!!! SGS2 IS WAY BETTER THAN THIS!!! STOP CLAIMING THAT THIS IS THE BEST ANDROID PHONE!!! YOU ARE INSULTING ANDROID!!!
11. 09wbd03516 (banned) (Posts: 140; Member since: 30 May 2012)
I rather choose galaxy nexus
jellybeam and touchwiz free....
13. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Yep. The S3 being future-proof with its 2 GB of RAM is worthless anyways to all Nexus devices being future-proof by just saying, "Nexus."
But the S2 is NOT better than the S3. Other than durability, that is.
17. wendygarett (unregistered)
You can get the same daily performance with half the price. True SAMOLED+ and classic looking design. Quad core is not necessary because android nowaday (jellybeam) is lag-free. So the conclusion is SGS2 is still a winner compare to this.
50. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
a lag free??? you must be living in a different dimension or you were given a special lag-free-device" certificate]
63. wsucoug13 (Posts: 164; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Did you get the SGSII instead of the III and are trying to convince yourself it was the correct choice? Because that is the only scenario I can imagine where you would say these things. If you can afford the SGSIII is the obvious winner..
92. Ray.S (Posts: 273; Member since: 19 Jul 2011)
Not if you prefer a smaller device, or if you like the GS II's looks better.
29. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
That's a phone from 2009 with a Snapdragon S1, an Adreno 200, and 512 MB of ROM. The 512 MB of ROM is the biggest issue. The GNex has more than that. It's been future proof for almost three years and has gone through 3 different updates. That's really good for any phone. The iPhone 3G isn't supported anymore and the 3GS doesn't even get half the features of the already crappy iOS 6.
I think the Nexus One is pretty future proof.
22. kunyuk (Posts: 56; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
I hope Nokia use Android jellybean = best build quality
8. Ronoc039 (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
The reason why I have no desire for this phone. A piece priced priced as highly as this should be able to withstand more than it has proved so far...
9. Aeires (unregistered)
How many phones are showing this? What abuse did the user put on the phone? You have to ask things like this, especially after some idiot put one in a microwave oven and blamed Samsung for the damage.
10. Cyan3boN (Posts: 438; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
quality issues for a flagship product is unacceptable, Crapsung can never be HTC. this is the only reason why i buy HTC smartphones "quality". samsung cheats customers like apple, not with price but with quality.
12. JunitoNH (Posts: 1294; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Not only that, go to the Verizon page and look all people having problems with radio.
15. fragmentation (banned) (Posts: 31; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
So this is the best android phone huh? Fragmentation in both software and hardware I see. NO MORE ANDROID
30. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Any version of Android is better than iOS 6. iOS 6 sucks.
45. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
how can u say ios 6 sucks when it not out yet? Are you a android salesman? you don't want him to take his business somewhere else
65. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
We've seen everything it has to offer already. Also, it pretty much is out yet. At least the beta versions.
It's the EXACT SAME OS FROM 2007. Do you even realize that?
68. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
why would they change it if there's nothing wrong with it? Do you want it to look more like android? sorry that is not going to happen, its called being different
69. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I don't feel like arguing with idiots when I've made the same point over and over and they still don't get it.
78. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I have a point, but you just don't seem to get it.
You NEVER have a point.
16. Packer29 (Posts: 56; Member since: 10 Sep 2011)
Now abunch of people who have never owned or touched the phone will over react to one article and start bashing android like always!
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9846; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Exactly. I have one and have not seen any cracks , scratches, etc. and I've let my little cousins play with the phone and its still in the condition as if it just came out of the box...
Before you judge the phone you should probably try it.
23. wreckless730 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
I bought the htc one x a while back after the galaxy s3 came out i decide to get it. When i got the phones side by side I found the build quality was a lot better on the one x. After a week of light use the samsung cracked almost just like the picture. So I will judge. Samsung's phones are made cheap!
25. wendygarett (unregistered)
Wow you are rich :)
52. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
and I gave mine to my grandpa and he played basketball with it and then the aliens came and fired a particle beam and my grandpa used his, I mean mine, samsung as a shield and everything around was burned down to the ground but he survuved thanks to samsung, blablabla.
you don't have any problems, be happy but that doesn't mean that others don't have.
51. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
oh the same way you guys bash iPhones without touching one? it goes both ways pal
79. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Most of us have had or wanted iPhones before. I used to love Apple devices. Don't jump to conclusions, asswipe.
82. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
I dont think I was talking to you. And how in the hell would you know what other people have had
85. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I've been on this site for a while. I know pretty much everyone here.
86. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Oh ok you guys been teaming up and bashing iPhones on every article for a while now
88. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Nah. We're just intelligent consumers that don't go by what's popular and "cool," but what is actually the better product.
89. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Yeah i jumped on the bandwagon when the first one came out. That's your opinion that it's the better product. You like the popular and "cool" galaxy 3, if I was into androids I would get the Xperia or htc phone.
21. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
A friend is an "advocate" for this device at Sprint and got one for free, and is not allowed to take it out of the store until july, so it hasn't been abused or dropped, or really even used at all. He has one of these on the left side of his phone.
76. retrokick (Posts: 16; Member since: 19 Jul 2012)
What do you mean "until July?" .... It's already July.
24. bubbadoes (Posts: 567; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I don't believe! The public has nothing good to say about the phone so they are finding cracks in the cover and bevel area to talk about since they don't have nothing negative about performance and other factors.
36. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
oh because the average consumer (90% doesn't care about processing power and etc) has so much free time to fault a phone???? u have astounding logic
53. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
If I buy something I want it to be made well. That's my right. That's my money.
26. andrew1953 (Posts: 176; Member since: 13 Nov 2011)
That is very bad. I looked at an S3 but have decided that I need the larger screen of the Note for what I want to do with it. I will put it in a Seidio Active case with a belt clasp. Saved my 9800 heaps.