Galaxy S 4 vs One vs Xperia Z vs iPhone 5: size comparison
0. phoneArena 14 Mar 2013, 19:45 posted on
We're big fans of comparisons here at PhoneArena, and what better way to celebrate the arrival of the Samsung Galaxy S 4 than doing a whole bunch of those! This time we'll be doing a size comparison against some of its biggest, angriest rivals - the HTC One, Sony Xperia Z and Apple iPhone 5...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Remember we used to just hate on OS and not manufacturer?
I sure do
21. doejon (Posts: 394; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
mine the s4 its the best combined
its not ugly i like it actualy and yes the htc one looks a better
but software and hadware (camera for example) oft s4 will be better than the one of the htc one i bet! and the batterylife too!
why is the iphone 5 in the list lol ?
25. AnTuTu (Posts: 1571; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Those who have bought S3 will never buy S4. You take my words no matter what they say here on PA.
29. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
I agreed that HTC one has a better look
But S4 has a bigger screen and much thinner and lighter body.
I can give some credit to them.
Actually I am kinda disappointed its identical design to its prodeccessor though, it's not a deal breaker to me.
I like the awesome screen, camera, and tons of features
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 18446; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Samsungs making a mistake by bringing most of the s4 feature to the s3. They already look identical so I think you're rite about that.
48. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
SAME-sung playing smart. Perhaps they have realized that they have a "SAME" sung phone and sales could take a hit. So now they are targeting 100 million phones combined with two SAME sung phones S3+S4 and they are announcing this ...S3 prices will sink after S4 comes...
So SAME-sung i guess is playing smart.
26. hung2900 (Posts: 919; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I think the disappointment is understandable coz expectation is too high, but luckily the disappointment in design will be not so bad just simply due to low expectation in this area of Samsung ^^
2. tiara6918 (Posts: 1968; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Samsung did a great job with making the size of the s4, despite it having a larger 5"display it still is a compact handset
4. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Smaller than the One and XPeria Z. That's a surprise.
16. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Overall it is smaller than that too where it counts. The ZL is a fatty at 9.8 mm. This thing is just as thin as the Z but closer to the ZL size in other dimensions.
20. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
9.8 is not that fat. Lumia 820 is at 9.9mm thick. You call that fat? It fits my hand nicely
28. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I find the Lumia's too fat for my pocket. A phone that large needs to be thin imo. If it is iphone size or Lumia 800 size, then thickness doesn't matter much. But if it is huge, then it does.
35. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Let's not forget the zl has onscreen buttons so it should bre smaller
22. SleepingOz (unregistered)
You were right from the beginning dude!
They keep the same design cues and change very little things.(Shame)
But well, people tend to forget that most oems(sony, apple and nokia), do the same thing.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Lol xD. The iPhone 5 looks so tiny when comparing the size with the big bros.
39. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
u mean looks so PUNY and weak
24. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Hardware and software wise, yes definitely! It'll be the most powerful one among those titans.
Design wise, could be better but I don't complain though since I upgrade only to the GNOTE series.
32. darkkjedii (Posts: 18446; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hot on the heels of a disappointing s4 announcement, you guys are trying your best to divert the attention to apple aren't you? Just admit it..Sammy dropped the ball and pulled an apple on us. It's ok there's therapy for you. I'll text you a hug LMAOOOOO
49. Aeires (unregistered)
No so much. Their design was extremely similar but the major difference is they brought a lot of new features whereas Apple only brings a handful each time, and some are usually problematic (Siri & maps).
A lot of people are griping with the design but are overlooking an important aspect, they put a 5" screen in a phone slightly smaller than the previous iteration. Too many people get caught up in concept phones, not realizing it's easy to make a drawing or 3D render but it's far from easy to actually build a working model. Samsung didn't drop the ball, people's expectations were too high.
9. Isaiah-54 (unregistered)
Interesting. I was impressed with how thin the SIV was, yet didn't even realize the Xperia Z was just as thin.
10. DerryAhmad (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Great job for Samsung for making a compact design for the S4. I like Xperia Z and One design more though.
36. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Exactly no one seems to mention the fact and IMO most important to me ia that the s4 is really compact for a phone that has a 5" display, 2600mah battery and physical buttons and yet phones like the z which use on screen buttons are bigger and the one which has a smaller screen and battery is bigger than the s4...too me that's an accomplishment as it means we don't have to sacrifice device size for a larger screen.
38. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
then something is wrong with u. any of the three is better than #4
13. BadAssAbe (Posts: 450; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Look at all that bezel on the iPhone LOL
2 gigs of ram
15. _PHug_ (Posts: 435; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
MY FAVORITE RECTANGLE IS THE BEST RECTANGLE!
That is what you sound like
17. Aeires (unregistered)
Until the iPhone gets at least a 4.5" screen, they shouldn't be included in phablet comparisons.
37. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
why bother compare too the iPhone? the Iphone is the SMALLEST PUNIEST PHONE EVER it doesn't even have a 720P or a 1080P OR IN THIS CASE A 5" PHONE it's a limitless phone that's all u have to know
41. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Look at just how far more ergonomic than Xperia this is..
42. anleoflippy (Posts: 592; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Okay, I can see that the S4 is just a tad smaller.
But still not close to the ZL. Al though the ZL is thicker but it fits in my hand perfectly thanks to the back curve.
46. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Xperia ZL 131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm and S4 136.6 x 68.9 x 7.9 mm. Ideally S4 should fit one's hand better. Its only a lil taller otherwise it's lighter and easier to hold.
50. anleoflippy (Posts: 592; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
I guess we'll get to know until we try it for ourselves.
But I've tried the ZL today it really does feels nice in the hand mostly because of the curve back compare to the Z.
43. lsguntu (Posts: 67; Member since: 06 Aug 2012)
All phone more or less looks the same. Only Xperia and Lumia 920 are different from other phones
44. BadAssAbe (Posts: 450; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
SGS4 has a big advantage
No on screen buttons means more screen than the Sony Z but still smaller
Plastic, IR Blaster, battery VS Glass, water/dustproof
Bigger screen, bigger removable battery with SD Slot yet smaller and thinner than the HTC ONE
Plastic VS Great Sound, Aluminum Body
45. zackdbassist (Posts: 22; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
The width of S4 is actually 68.9. Correction there PhoneArena!
Courtesy- Samsung Launch Event
And if we go by actual usable screen size then the s4 even beats the Xperia ZL in terms of size as XZL uses on screen buttons which take up .2inches. Although S4 is not as good a looker as HTC One or say the XZ but still its one heck of a device.
47. ncallan (Posts: 32; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
I'm impressed with the S4, a very nicely proportioned and handsome machine but I received my HTC one today (so much for delay) and in terms of craftsmanship, materials and ergonomics I can't see the Samsung coming close with a polycarbonate construction. SD card slot is a big benefit though.
51. garz_pa (Posts: 154; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Does the iPhone5 really need to be there even though we know it's a dwarf of a smartphone these days?
52. farlaks (Posts: 10; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
future proof phones? whu wants.. give me water proof,big battery,nice camera nice camera with a dual core i buy it..