Galaxy Note III to have the first plastic OLED screen
0. phoneArena 22 Apr 2013, 03:37 posted on
Yet another interesting rumor about the Samsung Galaxy Note III has hit us today. We've already heard that Samsung might be planning a 6" display for its new phablet, but SamMobile is now adding a whole new perspective to the story...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
6. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Perfect display, Great battery life, and the best software implementations and features solutions.
After the total enjoyment of the Galaxy Note 2 it's only fair that I will be purchasing the Galaxy Note 3.
Nothing else will ever matter in 2013 nor will anything ever top this device from September to July 2014.
23. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4681; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Hey I love my HTC Droid DNA, but once the Samsung Galaxy Note III comes out that will be my phone. My HTC Droid DNA will become my wife's phone for sure.
The Samsung Galaxy Note III will be the phone of phones.
28. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 242; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I want google to make something in the phablet category already. I love the note 2 and running some Carbon love on it. The touchwiz stuff was nice, but not for me. I'm a sucker for the ASOP feel. But more than likely, the note 3 will be my next baby.
33. Leo_MC (Posts: 693; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
That will be your tiny tablet because Note is not a phone.
37. torr310 (Posts: 575; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
I just worry things that exceeded 5.5" is too big to put in my jean's pocket. I don't wanna carry a bag like ladies do.
19. ajac09 (Posts: 1435; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
no it wont have a flexible display. samsung already said not till 2014
41. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
It will just mean the display is damn near impossible to break.
2. FlushGordon (unregistered)
As long as it is not GorillaGlass2..I'm fine with it.
That damn thing is brittle
3. tech2 (Posts: 3011; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Of course not, GS4 has Gorilla Glass 3. I very much doubt if they'd put an older technology in a newer device.
38. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 312; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Not enough improvements for me to give up my Note II. Maybe the Note IV will have enough improvements to make me pass down my Note II.
51. imkyle (Posts: 1051; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
I agree that the Note 2 is still one of the best phones in 2013, but the Note 3 will have a 1080 p screen which it needs for a device with such a large screen. The processor that the new Note will have, will most likely be a beast and to me those are two reasons to upgrade if you have the money.
67. RomeoJDR (Posts: 242; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Plus your aging Note II will have fewer scratches on its glass screen than someone's week old Note III with its plastic screen. It may be shatterproof and good for careless butterfingers out there, but will fall victim to anything in your pocket
5. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Whatever glass it is, if bezels are too thin, dropping the phone and the phone lands on its corner or sides on contact with the ground and it will crack. Small surface area of contact means higher force and pressure on impact. If the phone fell even face down and the screen lands flat on the ground it is less likely to break compared to landing on its sides or corners.
10. saffant (Posts: 248; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
What a silly hypothesis. 10/10 times phones that fall flat on their screens break more often than those that fall on their side.
24. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
That's my personal experience, Go and study a bit of physics. Landing flat on ground will only scratch the screen at most.
39. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 312; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Not if a pebble of some sort is present.
4. XperiaPrince (Posts: 108; Member since: 25 Dec 2012)
well i hope that the note III will ba made of non glossy plastic or light aluminum and change their design.The screen will be perfect.
7. Phaze0085 (Posts: 107; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
As long as the screen is 6" or bigger, then I really dont care. Id love it if the Note 3 had the 6.3" screen that the Mega has, but it seems obvious that wont happen.
11. saffant (Posts: 248; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
If the Note 3 is any bigger than the Note 2 in terms of its dimensions, it'd be a flop.
25. McLTE (Posts: 749; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I have to agree with this. I very much enjoy the size of my Note II, however if they increase the chassis size at all for the Note III, I will possibly reconsider buying one.
The Note II is glorious to be sure, though pushing boundaries size wise. It's not as pocketable as previoius phones.. and being 6'8", big pockets is not really an issue! lol I find myself keeping the phone in jacket pockets (chest) rather than jeans pocket whenever possible.
I sincerely hope they keep the Note III very similar in size.. a mm here and there won't kill me, but if it gets too big, I'm out.
Having said that.. shrink the bezel and stuff the biggest screen possible in the same size chassis! :)
31. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1017; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
Im 6'7" and I understand where you're coming from McLTE!! if its over 6", it's too big even for uss tall people. Id like for the Note III to be no more 5.9in, 3GB RAM, enhanced S-Pen functionality (as if it doesnt need anymore lol) at least a 4000MaH battery, and Jelly Bean or whatever Android OS that will be available at that time
I may be overdoing it, but it would be a start
34. Leo_MC (Posts: 693; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
If it won't have 54 TB of RAM and 1 EB of removable SD card + 1PB of cloud, it will be a dissapointment...
And don't forget a 55" mind controlled display.
35. Phaze0085 (Posts: 107; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
Well, its obviously going to get bigger, I mean, look what they have done with the S4. The Question is, how much bigger is it going to be. Like I said, Id love to see it be 6" or bigger. 5.9" isnt precisely 6" and is be disappointed with another baby step (5.3, 5.5, 5.7)
13. h4ck3d (Posts: 2; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
I have a Note 2... but if the Note 3 comes with his overall size bigger I will buy the S4. If Samsung put a 5.9 screen without change the size of the phone: Shut Up And Take My Money.
14. tomn1ce (Posts: 119; Member since: 12 Mar 2012)
Exactly my thought. If they manage to make the Note 3 with a 6" display in the overall size of the Note 2 I'll be picking this one up...If its bigger I will go for the GS4 or whatever Motorola has in the oven..
63. Furbal (Posts: 582; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Same here, my note 2 footprint is about as large as I want to go.
30. _PHug_ (Posts: 421; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
The S4 has a bigger screen in a smaller frame when compared to the S3.
So, I expect the Note3 will have a bigger screen in a smaller frame or at least the same frame as the Note2.
I feel that is why they came out with the Mega. Let the Mega push the boundaries of phone and tablet and let the Note stay the perfect phone. IMO
8. KeyboardWarrior (Posts: 7; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
And the last non-plastic part on Samsung phone is gone...
42. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Plastic screens are the future, do you really think flexible screens will use glass?
68. RomeoJDR (Posts: 242; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Until everyone gets ticked off by all the scratches on the screen. That's why people pay extra for their glasses to have glass lenses instead of plastic.
9. Neurone (Posts: 54; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Plastic ? not again ! ,
i wonder if they could make battery out of plastic, then it would be a unibody plastic design. Plastic is sort of sammy's trademark these days....
12. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7039; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Their talking bout the oled screen will have a flexible plastic screen. They havent official announced the type of body structure yet. U dont like plastic buy the HTC One or a glass phone
16. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Flexible display anyone? :P
17. Daftama (Posts: 598; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Ppl talk none sense if it this or that...Im with the flexibl3 display
18. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I will be surprised if Samsung make a Galaxy Note 3 with OLED flexible display. :)
43. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Not having to worry about your phone cracking will be nice when every device switches to this.
21. bparkerson (unregistered)
My concern is not so much the screen breaking but scratching the display. Seems to me a plastic display would be extremely easy to scratch. Can you imagine what it would look like over a two year contract?
22. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Why would a flexible display matters if the phone can't be flex? It defeats the purpose of having one
40. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 312; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It's just another selling point that Sammy is trying to use on consumers, not impressed.
47. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Cant u get it?? You and rgxvoid are f**ckng trolls and haters, if u dont want samsung den dont read artvles abt them....
It's flexible coz its plastc but they dont emphasize abt its flexbility, they focused on its topnotch durability and how the phone wil be slimmer..
56. evxenion (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
I'm sure you've been practicing those wonderful hand stretching/enlarging routines as invented by Samsung - too bad they don't provide a manual 4 their patented technique along with their devices! Lol!
52. Leo_MC (Posts: 693; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
You thumbed down my comment because of the grammar?
It's a question, you dumbass!!!
36. Twisted247 (Posts: 282; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
I'd much rather Samsung push back the release date in order to get it correct and be able to release a solid model across the board like they did with the Note2...
I do NOT want them to push it so it comes out early only to not have sufficient hardware like the s4 and end up giving the states the ish end of the stick again and sticking us with the weaker setup.
44. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
Screen sizes are getting ridicules, I wonder when will they get so big that they start decreasing in size. I'm glad apples not following trend. Anything over 5 inches is far to big for a phone..
57. evxenion (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
I'm glad sm1 in this forum at least has common sense! The Note owners don't mind if it's 20'' also, all they care abt is d bigger, d better!
45. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
LOL Plastic phone, plastic screen? What's next?!
48. gigaraga (Posts: 1429; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
This is great i would SO get it when it comes out
49. RomeoJDR (Posts: 242; Member since: 09 Dec 2011)
Sure plastic is more pliable and wont break if you drop or step on it, but there is a reason people spend extra to get the lenses on their glasses made out of glass.... Plastic easily scratches. You may not notice the slight scratches on the phones body but you will the clear screen. You have to be careless to break a glass screen, but no matter how careful you are the plastic screen will scratch.
50. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
I have fallen in love with my Note II so much so that I dont know if Ill ever go back to screen size less than 5.5"...IMO I think anywhere from 5.8"-6" will be a good size as long as Samsung shrinks the bezels and add just a few mm here and there!
58. evxenion (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
Nah! Y settle 4 jst 6''? I'd have thought 10'' wud be more 2 ur liking!