Galaxy Alpha will be slimmer than the iPhone 5s and with metal side rim, new pictures reveal
0. phoneArena 05 Aug 2014, 08:04 posted on
And the leaks about Samsung's premium Galaxy Alpha keep on leaking today. We just had a retailer posting it up for preorder online at a pretty unpalatable price, confirming most of the specs tipped so far, and now the phone gets sized up with none other than Apple's venerable iPhone 5s darling...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
30. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Anyhow , it's the only fair article here, to compare two mid-range phones : Alpha and iPhone 5S
At last PA admit that iPhone5S is mid-range phone.
40. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
lololol it only concerns thickness. go be fanboy somewhere else lol
49. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Not really. He is right. Pretty much everything from the screen to CPU to battery capacity on the Alpha is better than the 5s.
Like him or not, if this is a midrange phone,most is the iPhone 5s and most likely the iPhone 6.
51. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
By this stupid logic nexus 5 is also mid range . Price does not matter the experience does . But i agree with you that this phone is not mid ranged . iPhone if it as mid ranged it would have been a lot cheaper .
56. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Wtf are you talking about moron? I never mentioned the nexus 5 or the price.
72. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
you idiot read it again . hope you get it .And yes i added n5 to the conversation because spec wise people will start calling it mid range in 2 months but that does not mean it will , it all still offer a great experience .
95. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
No the Nexus 5 won't be moron. 1080p screen, ois camera, compact form for a 5 inch, s800 was about as up to date as you could get at the time in BOTH hardware and software. Bringing up the Nexus 5 is as moronic as it gets. It doesn't skimp in anything except arguably the camera but even then it's high megapixel and has OIS, so hardware wise it was top shelf in all aspects.
Apple is the only one skimping on battery size and clock speed and screen resolution. Now Samsung has joined Apple on the skimping to prove a point to not very intelligent people like you,yet it still beats the iPhone 5s and probably the 6 in most specifications.
106. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
You are a stupid person who has a hard time following what people say. I said n5 will not be midrange but people will think it is just because more powerful will come to market .
115. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
No moron. The nexus 5 had nothing to do with what anyone said. So it is completely out of context.
Yes I might have a hard time following what uneducated and stupid people say but believe me, my reading comprehension is excellent and the Nexus 5 doesn't fit into any conversation in here because the Nexus 5 had bleeding edge specs unlike the 5s and alpha.
57. willard12 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
If someone goes to ebay and pays $800 for a Galaxy Ace does that now mean that it is high-end?
67. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
how screen is better ? how cpu is better ? these are better on paper. real life experince always different. you see 720p screen and
instantly you think its better than 640p screen but you forget that ppi thing. you judge the unanounced phone and claimed that its better without using it. thats not a good argument.. first use alpha then comment about phone
74. belovedson (Posts: 837; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. So unless you do some of your own testing you have no credibility
93. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
so you put sreen on your face while using a phone very good.
97. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Like you said, it's better on paper which is the only facts we have to go by. Retard. IOS vs android is subjective but the CPU and GPU and battery size are not. So are you telling me that if you slapped IOS on the Alpha it wouldn't be better performing than the iPhone 5s? It guaranteed would be. That's just the facts.
If you have the better engine and you put a lighter body on it that's going to be faster than the crappier engine with the same body. As it stands, the iPhone 5s specs/engine is slower in all areas except OS.
83. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Go check all the tech sites or old PA articles.
They call this mediocre mid range Samsung phone. DIRECT RIVAL TO IPHONE 6.
91. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
They call it samsung's "premium" phone. LOL And compare it with iphone.
In other articles they call it even iphone6 rival.
And I'm not fanboy, iboy
55. Nokia99 (Posts: 25; Member since: 17 Jul 2014)
I totally agree , but with the ugliest back ever
2. iampayne (Posts: 321; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
How are we calling this premium when the back is still the same plastic found on every other Samsung device? Premium doesn't stop at the trim of the phone.
12. tech2 (Posts: 3143; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Some people would rather have a plastic back which gives them access to battery and water-dust protection.
While others who prefer showing off in the name of 'premium' can choose to hug wall is completely up to them.
102. bachir8k (Posts: 129; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I prefer a non-slip back cover with better signal reception and removable battery than a fancy premium cover that will be hidden later with a protective cover.
16. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10212; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Moto X is made out of plastic. Upon launch it carried a price tag close to other flagships despite the 720p screen. Care to bash the Moto X too or no since it's not a Samsung device?
20. hung2900 (Posts: 911; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
NOKIA fans called their phones PREMIUM, no matter 100% plastic or just the metal bezel
38. akki20892 (Posts: 3850; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Premium means how OEM make phones and has quality.
62. T.Law (Posts: 412; Member since: 10 May 2014)
Samsung has been doing an excellent job building their flagships lately. I had no complaint what so ever about the build quality of my Note 3 and several videos on YouTube prove that they are indeed built like tanks.
22. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
You are impossible. Give credit where its due. This is a beautiful phone.
And where the hell is written that premium=/=plastic?
58. willard12 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
So, by going online and paying $6 for a replaceable aluminum back, it is now premium. Cool!
109. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"So, by going online and paying $6 for a replaceable aluminum back, it is now premium. Cool!"
Where "premium" means "now reflects more radiation into my head and gets worse reception".
Unfortunately in the smartphone world, the word "premium" has become distorted to the point of being meaningless.
85. tedkord (Posts: 8313; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
To most of the world, premium is in the quality of the screen and the functionality of the phone. That's why both the iPhone and Galaxy S/Note devices are premium. We don't care about the back (except that is removable and let's us change the battery / add storage.
3. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 158; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
What type of charger is that gonna take bc it kinda looks different that normal!
4. skymitch89 (Posts: 1244; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I can already see a lawsuit coming from Apple on a patient infringement for a "rectangular device with flat metal sides".
63. engineer-1701d (Posts: 2704; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Thank god they are not flat metal sides they are concave
5. Desmortibus (Posts: 66; Member since: 04 Apr 2014)
The most absurd and pathetic smartphone ever made: Low resolution, weak battery, smaller screen... and ludicrous high price !!!.....
9. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 185; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Low resolution? We're still talking HD display on a 4.7 diagonal right?
17. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10212; Member since: 14 May 2012)
People are finding reasons to hate/judge the phone before it's released yet if their OEM of choice were to do the same, it would be fine.
37. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
Price will be deciding factor. if it is 600$ + then yes it is a low resolution device.
50. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
iPhone 5s has a lower resolution but slightly higher ppi and people don't call it a low res device. It's all about perceptions.
I am glad Samsung is the only one brave enough to call out Apple in the courtroom and in practice with this device. It's great! Lol
76. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
Why are you telling me this? you high . And its not a real battle stop calling samsung brave lol. Wow you are a work of art .
98. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Most people take it up the ass from Apple so Samsung is brave for not taking it up the...
I am telling you this because you seem to have really retarded double standards where this is low resolution yet you think the iPhone has a premium resolution.
31. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
But at last PA admit that iPhone5S is mid-range phone. Calling it rival to some of the Samsung's mid-range phones.
15. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10212; Member since: 14 May 2012)
When the Moto X was released, it had a really hefty price tag too. Let's not forget the user experience it gave everyone.
18. tiara6918 (Posts: 1948; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
That's exactly what the iphone is too and samsung has finally made a direct competitor to it
32. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Anyway. Good thing is PA admit that iPhone5S is mid-range phone. Calling it rival to some of the Samsung's mid-range phones.
SAMSUNG WILL NEVER MAKE high end phone of aluminium tin can.
The worst material for smartphones, EVER.
39. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
Wow man you have written the same thing 4 times in comments , you must really hate high end phones made of high end materials .
If you love plastic be happy with you plastic phone but let others enjoy the feel of metal . Let me give you a little history lesson metal from ancient times have been symbol of toughness and durability . And because of this we humans feel that things made of metal will last longer and will survive in difficult conditions .But i know you are dumb so i won't waste my time.
44. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
thx for reply. you saved my time :D
52. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
So wait? Are you that stupid? So you are saying metal makes a high end phone more than specs and internals do?
A fiat with a Lamborghini body may look nice but it's the engine that really counts.
So you can't call an iPhone high end phone if these plastic devices smokes it in the internals/engine department.
64. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
aaaaand that car thing starts again
77. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
hey tater i was not talking to you . the- sailer-man sh*ts on article on phone arena and hence i was making it clear and many people like metal phone . And you lambo analogy would only make sense if you samsung phone could actually be faster than iPhone or for that matter any other android phone . So get your sorry ass back to where you came from and stop bringing automobiles into cellphone conversation .
99. Taters (Posts: 6329; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
My analogy works fine. Slap a super nexus custom rom on it and Samsung phones smoke iphones and other android phones.....all this without any alterations to the hardware,you know the important internals...
59. willard12 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Since you are speaking for the human race, does that make The Sailor Man an alien? Let me give you a lesson in current events, aluminum is being traded at 35 cents per pound....aka...really cheap. It is not a symbol of toughness, it is not durable. When we humans hold a can of coke, we don't feel we will survive in difficult conditions. If aluminum makes you "feel" a certain way, then you are easily manipulated.
65. engineer-1701d (Posts: 2704; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
This could be one of the worst quotes I have ever seen aluminum is lightweight a day strong if you know anything about metals u would know that let's see how about ✈ or air-conditioning coils high psi and temp dissipation cars for most part
68. elitewolverine (Posts: 4155; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Funny as you post that I am watching voyager and just got finished with TNG.
At anyrate, he sees aluminum and thinks cheap because of cans, and because of price. Little does he know how abundant aluminum is, how aluminum because stronger as temps fall, or how pound for pound aluminum is better than copper for conductivity, I could list so much more, probably pages....oh wait, bing/google gives them.
81. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
The ✈ are made of aluminium , for other reasons.
See, helmets(wanna use aluminium one?). Car bumpers. Samsunite suitcases........
86. tedkord (Posts: 8313; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Aluminum is lightweight, but it's not strong. It's quite malleable, that's one of the reasons its used - its easy to form. That's also why you can crush an aluminum can so easily. You can easily dent a solid brick of aluminum.