Fully assembled Apple iPhone 5 pictured side to side with older siblings
0. phoneArena posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:03
The Apple iPhone 5 is expected to be the biggest redefinition of the iPhone since it launched way back into 2007, changing our perception of what’s a smartphone…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. aayupanday posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:11 40 1
Add some plastic around the edge of the bezel and you have a Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic
11. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:30 20 0
I think they should keep the old size and increase the screen to 4". There's plenty of space for them to do so. And of course the design should be completely new.
84. downphoenix posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:15 5 0
There is plenty of room, but Apple has to have those big bezels.
75. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 12:14 8 5
Haha, iPhone and beautiful? LOL
97. doubleD posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:05 6 2
I still think the iPhone 3 is the best looking of all the iPhones.
103. CharlieAtInfinity posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:22 3 0
iPhone 4 and iPhone 3 best looking out of all iPhones iPhone 5 gotta be the worst looking phone :( why they elongated it so much.. looks bad!
115. Mittal posted on 01 Sep 2012, 11:33 2 0
yup! this alleged render is a big thumbs down...
hope its not the real stuff
64. andro. posted on 31 Aug 2012, 11:51 3 0
Haha it does kinda look like the nokia!! Looks like the iphone 4ss is gonna be the worst looking iphone
82. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:06 5 3
I like that. Let me make a quick & slight change to that andro. if you don't mind.
How about iPhone 4ass? lol
3. Droid_X_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:12 10 0
Nothing like a minor bump in size. Got to keep the phone usable for thse with small hands.
5. Droid_X_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:13 11 1
Edit - those instead of thse. PA - you really need to make posts editable after someone else posts.
29. plgladio posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:55 1 1
Actually we can edit before someone posts after you.
Surprise that you didn't had a chance like that...
70. Droid_X_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 12:04 1 0
I saw the mis-spelling after clicking the Post Comment button, and clicked Edit. In all, maybe 2 or 3 seconds passed until I clicked the Edit button, but it was too late. It seems that anyone posting anywhere on PA triggers the lock, 'cause nothing had happened to this thread.
126. Ubi2447 posted on 12 Sep 2012, 00:39 0 0
Agreed. this has happened to me too many times. You have my vote for a tweek to the system.
31. EclipseGSX posted on 31 Aug 2012, 09:03 3 2
Maybe read your own comment before you hit post...just a thought.
44. 305Bucko posted on 31 Aug 2012, 10:34 4 0
PA needs to make comments deletable too. Sometimes I click "comment" instead of "reply" and later find out I was ranting at myself.
52. PhoneArenaUser posted on 31 Aug 2012, 11:00 4 1
I don't think it is good idea because various trolls will be changing their statements and will be claiming that they never had said this or that...
71. Droid_X_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 12:07 1 0
Give the ability to edit a post for say, 2 minutes after posting. Then, the post is locked down for posterity.
86. tedkord posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:17 1 0
As opposed to what they do now, which is claim someone must have spoofed their account.
94. Droid_X_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 14:46 0 0
The claims of account spoofing will continue un-abated. It is a well-practiced action. Remember the saying - practice makes perfect? Well, they have practiced to perfection.
96. PhoneArenaUser posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:03 0 0
Yes, I remember that. :)
10. Hammerfest posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:27 6 0
Its so NARROW... its part of the reason I hate the 16:9 aspect ratio (vs 4:3 or 16:10), sure this phone isnt 16:9... ITS WORSE
28. Droid_X_Doug posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:55 4 0
New iDevice design paradigm (top secret, straight from the kitchen table no less...) - thin and minimalist. Time for a retro 1st gen Nano look (tall and narrow). You heard it first on PA.
99. doubleD posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:09 0 0
The nano comparrison is spot on. I thought the tall thin nano's were ugly, as well as this rendition of the iphone if these pics hold true. The only nano i thought looked good was the squarish one, 4th gen maybe?
4. dcgore posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:12 15 1
Really nothing new here. I think the Note 2 will be my next device.
8. RapidCat posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:20 12 2
next iPhone looks weird
iPhone 4 have better design
9. Berzerk000 posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:23 15 2
They just stretched it out. Apple better pull something spectacular in it's features, or else this will be a bigger disappointment than the 4S was.
63. gallitoking posted on 31 Aug 2012, 11:47 1 8
4S dissapointment??? has been the best selling smartphone on ATT and Sprint and second on verizon.. how many can claim that.. U.S is the biggest market so here is were it counts ..sorry
73. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 12:11 2 1
iPhone will always a disappointment mate, LOL
77. gallitoking posted on 31 Aug 2012, 12:42 1 5
sales say otherwise..
88. Berzerk000 posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:30 3 1
That's all you talk about, sales. I'm talking about actual product quality, and how expectations were met. All of these sales Apple are getting, they are getting them because of reputation. No one sees what anyone else is offering, because of reputation. If people went out and looked at other offerings before choosing the iPhone, I would bet that there would be a BIG dent in Apple's sales.
Though there are some people who genuinely prefer iOS, and I don't hold anything against them as long as they appreciate the other OS's for what they are.
Now, let's talk about the expectations. Expectations for the iPhone 4S:
Bigger screen (4-4.3)
dual-core 1.2 GHz processor at least
Newly designed iOS
1 GB RAM
Last time I checked, the iPhone 4S had none of those things. No, you have to wait for the iPhone 6 to come out this year to get that, and we're not even entirely sure of what we might get.
You got the same design, same screen, HSPA+ 21 only through AT&T, an underclocked dual-core processor, iOS 5's only difference is the notification center, and you have the same amount of RAM.
Verizon and Sprint customers are still stuck with 3G, your processor won't hold up to future updates, you still have the same locked down restrictive OS you've had for 6 years, and you don't have enough RAM to get updates for more than 1 year without taking out the little features that you do gain with an update.
Get real, Gallito. If Apple doesn't make the iPhone 6 with quad-core (or dual A-15), LTE, redesigned iOS 6, and 1.5-2 GB RAM, it'll be as much of a disappointment as the 4S when it launched.
92. Berzerk000 posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:52 0 0
Also, "U.S is the biggest market so here is were it counts". Hmmm... Well, by your logic, since iOS has about 30% smartphone market share in the U.S, and Android has about 65% in the U.S, and since the U.S is where it counts... I think you know where I'm going with this. Though, the last time I checked was in early July, so the numbers could have changed. I doubt Apple's market share has more than doubled since then though.
109. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 31 Aug 2012, 22:35 1 0
Bro, it doesnt take a genious to know by now that anything Apple puts out, it will sell. People see the "new iPhone" and they go crazy over it. But the rest of us, the people who actually know better, realize just how little of an upgrade the new one is.
13. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:31 5 0
So I heard you like your phone loooong.
14. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:32 9 2
Apple, "Same old iPhone, just with a different number next to it"
You make it more narrow and taller and that's it? Come on, I know it'll out sell the 4S as they always out sell the last Gen, but this is lazy.
35. SlimSoulja86 posted on 31 Aug 2012, 09:26 3 0
I will have to agree with you there. I want my next iPhone to be different and "groundbreaking" not some iPhone 4S look alike. I'll be disappointed but I guess I will still buy it though. Or maybe keep my current one and get me some Samsung Galaxy Note 2. We will see. But I think We should all give it up. Apple will never leak their phone. These rumors are beginning to annoy me. Cos we all know its lies. Only Apple and those manufacturing the parts know how it looks like (not everyone though). The New iPhone (6th gen iPhone) will for sure look nothing like what these rumors are saying.
67. McLTE posted on 31 Aug 2012, 11:53 3 0
This is what I don't understand about Apple consumers.. "I'll be disappointed but I guess I will still buy it though."
If you are disappointed, then let your money talk. Don't buy it! if More people do this, Apple will get the message and will start innovating.
100. doubleD posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:14 0 0
If the consumer wants iOS, this is really their only choice. That's why they buy it.
If I was determined to get a phone running iOS, I would buy the latest model, not something a year old, even if the older version looked better
89. Berzerk000 posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:37 0 0
These have been going on for months. They have all been pretty consistent as well. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that this is what the new iPhone will look like.
15. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:32 10 0
iPhone 4S with a boner.
33. dcgore posted on 31 Aug 2012, 09:16 4 0
Maybe more like the Justin Bieber of phones?? kid is just growing up!
87. tedkord posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:20 0 0
Good analogy. Getting taller, but still the same old thing - all looks, no talent.
16. darryl12132 posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:34 0 0
So should i get the note 2 or the iphone 5? im really new to the whole smartphone world
20. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:40 7 1
Wait for the Note 2. It has the specs that will make your phone "futureproof" as the iPhone 5 (or w/e they will call it) will have outdated specs within next year. And plus with the Note, it will feel like it's YOUR phone as it is fully customizable unlike the iPhone.
65. gallitoking posted on 31 Aug 2012, 11:51 0 8
no phone is future proof.. you drop that thing and it will break.. get something that works now... Apple works out of the box and no need to add widgets that dont work right and will only drain your battery..
74. PhoneArenaUser posted on 31 Aug 2012, 12:11 1 3
"Apple works out of the box..."
Samsung doesn't ?
"...no need to add widgets that dont work right..."
I agree with you, of course don't need to add widgets that don't work right, but you can add widgets that works right. :)
79. gallitoking posted on 31 Aug 2012, 12:49 1 0
before I reply I thought it was a hand coming out of the Apple in your avatar, now that I know what it is... I like it ....true there lots of widgets that work my favorite on Android was YouTube but ate my battery ..worth it though.
98. PhoneArenaUser posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:09 0 0
"before I reply I thought it was a hand coming out of the Apple in your avatar, now that I know what it is... I like it ..."
Thank you, gallito. :)
90. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 31 Aug 2012, 13:37 1 0
I think you meant to say that not every phone is durable.... I'm talking about spec wise as that what is meant by "futureproof." the Note II has specs that will still be good for a person who signs for it for a 2-year contract and keeps it for the whole time period; and even longer. As for an iPhone that will have specs that well ... is already outdated when it's released. And with Android, you don't have to use widgets. It's a choice! As with the iPhone, you don't have a choice at all. All you get to do with an iPhone is arrange icons and put them in folders. That's really something to be proud about.
107. gallitoking posted on 31 Aug 2012, 17:10 2 1
I know I was just being an @ss
101. clevername posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:16 0 0
Future proof if you decide to install custom roms. Most people still don't do that. And I only bring that up because its a Samsung device. It'll probably get one major update, possibly 2 but not likely, in its lifetime. These updates will most likely be slow to release, and far in between. Meanwhile nexus devices will have seen twice as many.
Not bashing android...just putting it out there that US Samsung handsets don't get timely update, or even a multitude of them unless its a nexus device.
For example it took the us variants of the s2 more than 8 months to get android 4.0. I want to blame att but then I noticed the T-Mobile s2 only got its ics about a month earlier. Could be carriers or Sammie...either way you gotta wait.
I say wait for wp8 or the next nexus phone.:)
24. PhoneArenaUser posted on 31 Aug 2012, 08:47 10 1
I suggest you Galaxy Note II instead of iPhone.