Full-screen ads coming to Apple iPhone and Apple iPad apps?
One source said that Apple would sell the spots through its newly launched ad exchange. The Cupertino based tech titan first unveiled iAds back in 2010, charging $1 million for a campaign. That price has since dropped to $100,000 even though Apple has added new features like maps to the ads. According to IDC, Apple brought in $125 million in online ad sales in 2012 compared to the $243 million that Google rang up in online ad sales that same year.
Apple currently has just 3% of the U.S.online ad market, according to EMarketer, with Google owning a whopping 49%. Facebook has a 15% slice of the stateside online ad pie. The (multi) million dollar question is whether these new full-screen ads will persuade more advertisers to throw money at Apple.
source: AdAge via PocketLint
2. ihavenoname (Posts: 1615; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
At least on Android, some apps , especially games show video of like Hayday or Candy Crush Saga like between levels or retry. I don't know if these would mean the same.
11. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Full screen ads will be a huge fail. Can you imagine your use of an app being interrupted every 30 seconds to display an ad? And then there is the hit the ad file makes to your data allowance. NOT
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 16256; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If it makes money, I say do it. Rock in apple.
5. lucid.brat (Posts: 104; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Money is not everything sir...wht about user satisfaction?????
6. JerryTime (Posts: 468; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
You're talking to darkkjedii. The article could've said that the new iPhone was going to sodomize people unwillingly with a splintery broomstick, and he would cheer for them. SMH
12. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It's Apple. Users have to take whatever abuse Apple dumps on them, 'cause Apple knows better than they do what they need....
13. alltechinside (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
Agreed. And plus, I don't understand this fanboying (except if they are a shill). Why is darkkjedii happy about apple making more money? He isn't going to earn a cent out of it....
Making full screen ads does not benefit any customers. All it does is ruin the user experience... No matter how of an apple fanboy you (as in all apple fanboys) are, you need to accept the fact that this isn't a good idea for apple customers...
19. quakan (Posts: 1293; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Really darkkjedii? Come on, everyone hates sitting through ads.
4. skymitch89 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Isn't it bad enough that Android already does that? I'm getting really tired of all these ads and commercials that are everywhere!
18. Scott93274 (Posts: 2862; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
It gets to the point to where I actually go into airplane mode when I use certain apps to prevent this type of crap from showing up on my phone.
9. wilsong17 (unregistered)
welll at least i got root so i hardly get ads on my android phone
10. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
Worse use of ads ever. Waiting for ads to bypass on Youtube is bad enough, but imbedded into games is too much.
20. quakan (Posts: 1293; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Yeah Youtube got smart too. I used to be able to play a video and when the ad came up I could swipe the video away and reopen it adfree but that doesn't work anymore for me.
14. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Obviously users are not donating enough money to Apple.
The dumpling gang knows, if they can get it out of them, the users will rationalize it just fine.
15. Taters (Posts: 5043; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol damn Apple. Raping people at will still and the fans are still rationalizing it.
16. flipjzn (Posts: 201; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Aren't ads mostly in free apps? So why fret if u got the full/premium version?