Selfie camera comparison: LG G Pro 2 vs LG G2, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, HTC One (2013), Xperia Z1, iPhone 5s, and Nexus 5
0. phoneArena 26 Mar 2014, 10:35 posted on
Today, we're pitting the front-facing cameras of eight major flagships currently on the market against each other and taking scores. We will be testing several areas that we deem most crucial to any one camera, but specifically a front-facing one: amount of details, color reproduction, size of the field of view of the lens, video capture, and the amount and quality of extra features and perks...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. datphoneguy (Posts: 154; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Maybe it's just me, but the HTC One M8 pics didn't turn out too bad here versus the competition...
23. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Great article, too bad it seems so biAss'ed. I agree with the LG G Pro 2 being "number 1", but that QuasiThing being "number 2"????? Just look at the pics; proof is in the pudding (or, in this case, the "selfies")!! Good job, though, Chris; we can overlook your slight iTransgression in putting the iThing at "number 2". BTW, might iSuggest you practice your "Beauty Shot Selfies" on the LG G Pro 2!! (this coming from the PAPI with a Note 2) .. lol
13. datphoneguy (Posts: 154; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Well on the bright side, at least the pics on the M8 can't look any worse!
18. sipha (Posts: 434; Member since: 12 May 2012)
The Medium and low light from the iPhone 5s is obviously the worse of the bunch, yet its the 2nd best with 8/10 ...why??? O.o
4. tech2 (Posts: 3397; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Yup, its just you because M8 isn't there in the comparison.
5. mr2009 (Posts: 34; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
pretty sure that the old HTC One... only 2.1MP? HTC One M8 have 5mp ffc...
6. nestea (unregistered)
OMG, are you blind? It is written that it is HTC ONE 2013 (M7)....
8. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Really? Was m8 there in the comparison? I think, I read this news with closed eyes
19. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
I wonder why they didnt put the M8 here. I am curious how much better it is with a 5MP camera... and if it's better, why the eff did HTC only use 4MP for the back?
Is HTC doing this because of selfies?
29. xche78x (Posts: 101; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
Probably because the HTC One (M8) has not graced the hands of phone arena yet. And so are the S5, Z2, G3 and other upcoming 2014 stylish flagship phones, Im sure PA would do a separate battle for those once released, along with Nubia X6 if they acquire it. A 5 Megapixel sensor will probably be a little bit better than 2 megapixels. and for the last question, HTC is either over trying their luck with 4 Ultra Pixel Camera (No OIS on M8, M7 has OIS) or because they don't have tie ups with other companies that can make better cameras for them.
3. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
ZTE nubia x6, 13mp BSI front facing camera... should be tested here
31. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
No one cares about zte whatever and megapixels just give you mor ability to zoom and never a better image and also it gives you a huge file that eats up the storage.
7. tech2 (Posts: 3397; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Although front camera is not something you compare too critically as its mostly only used for video chats but Xperia Z1 and LG G2 are just plain horrible.
9. greyhulk (Posts: 156; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
If they were going to do this comparison, why would they not include the M8? The 5mp front-facing camera is one of the few things it actually has going for it. Fail.
12. papss (unregistered)
I wondered why its not included as well
21. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Wondered the same thing but the S5 isn't part of this either so I guess the test is more for the 2013 flagships.
24. npaladin2000 (Posts: 165; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Probably because the thing just came out yesterday and clearly this article took a little more than 24 hours to prepare.
I call fail on your fail.
27. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3722; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Actually, PA has had the M8 for a while now hence the review yesterday on the same day the device was unveiled/released. They probably could have easily included the M8 in the comparison. I doesn't seem as if the comparison was meant to include this year's new crop of flagships.
As a result, I call fail on your fail while calling fail on his fail.
28. Chris.P (Posts: 548; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
The review M8 unit wasn't at hand, so to speak.
No other reason.
10. Anshulonweb (Posts: 430; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
waiting for in depth comparison of Samsung s5 and xperia z2 and HTC one.......
14. Lauticol (Posts: 335; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
I just wonder why most of the HTC One's pictures are in a 4:3 ratio. 16:9 is the default and there you can see the 88° FoV shine!
15. Astoni (Posts: 649; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Now my question is how the f*ck is that the Z1?! my Front camera is horrible... its worse than a freakin' walkman from 2005.. also mine give off a yellowish tint so i never use the front camera only backcamera :p.
16. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 549; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Shoulda gotten a hot girl, more would read article.
17. srgonu (Posts: 239; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
I see purple hues (videos) on iPhone when sunlight is from behind. Looks like they haven't fixed that yet.
20. Jason2k13 (Posts: 1177; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
why does Sony really suck on camera optimization? I hope they don't disappoint on the Z2.
26. npaladin2000 (Posts: 165; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
It's about time people started paying attention to the selfie-cams, they're getting used a lot more often, and quality matters.
30. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
since I do not do selfies, I can live with what the Nexus 5 has as it does everything else pretty well and for a great price...
32. najib1312 (Posts: 152; Member since: 08 May 2013)
LG G Pro 2 is best, followed by iPhone 5S IMO.
LG Nexus 5, Xperia Z1 and LG G2 are horrible.
The rest are average.
33. preetmalhotra (Posts: 109; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
have a look on this phone's front cam