From the 'Stick an Apple iPhone 5 to the ground and see who tries to pick it up' files
0. phoneArena 22 Sep 2012, 14:03 posted on
You know that old gag where you glue a quarter to the floor and see who tries to pick it up? Replace the quarter with the Apple iPhone 5 and you have the makings of a great Candid Camera episode; the gag took place in Amsterdam and you need to take a look at it...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. SleepingOz (unregistered)
3. Aeires (unregistered)
Apple, a once respected company, now the butt of an endless amount of jokes.
7. Hemlocke (unregistered)
How on earth do you equate this to "the butt of jokes"? People are trying to pick it up and even posing with it. Why? It's an iPhone, and by extension, desirable.
12. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3051; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
"Why? It's an iPhone, and by extension, desirable."
Dude, you got a serious iPhone virus 'Locke'-d on your head.
Do this on any other phone, and you'll get the same result...people will try to pick it up.
Try Nokia 1100, people will still do it...might be lesser numbers, but people will still do it. There's nothing here that helps glamorize iP5 here, infact, it cheapens it.
14. jaoowolabi (Posts: 201; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
its a smartphone on the groung! who isnt going to try to pick it up
21. lyndon420 (Posts: 1869; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
No...it's not a smartphone sorry. Not sure about anywhere else, but here in Canada you won't find any iphone product listed under any carriers 'smartphone/superphone' categories on their websites. You'll find an iphone category and a smartphone category. Some of you will say that its in a class by itself, and others like myself will consider it foresight from the carriers. Damaged right outta the box, broken maps app, little to no options for customization, restrictions and more restrictions...far from any smart choice as a consumer.
22. lyndon420 (Posts: 1869; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
But you are right...some people will try to pick up anything from the ground, unless its a homeless person. Now maybe if said homeless person had an iphone in his hand?
26. moroninc (Posts: 190; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
If a person went to ground to pick up a quarter .. then you know how much the iphone is worth. Nothing to do with a phones popularity.. you'd think they'd spend a little bit more time trying to get it off the ground than jumping on it. hahaha
4. adelta90 (Posts: 63; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
its not really all that funny
the music was 80% of the humor :thumbdown
5. rasinhussy (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 Dec 2008)
One thing we can see is how well that aluminum backed body holds up. Much more durable than the previous models, though it may scratch a bit more.
13. rasinhussy (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 Dec 2008)
Thumbs down for what, observing the durability of a smartphone? Beats the GS3 that's for sure.
24. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Watch this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
27. moroninc (Posts: 190; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
The only phone i know that needs protection right out of the box --Iphone-- in this case (IP5) you might scratch/dent it while in the box LMAO
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5653; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
that's funny. this makes me want to order a dummy of a high-end phone and do this. xD
8. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5975; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
"There are plenty of things that people can do for fun in Amsterdam, and apparently watching people make fools of themselves is one of them."
The Dutch have an unusual sense of humor. A Dutch friend sent me the link to the video and apparently it is getting quite a number of hits.
Personally, I can think of a few other things I would do with the $ I would have to drop on an iP5, but whatever floats their boat.
9. darkskoliro (Posts: 1014; Member since: 07 May 2012)
They could have bought a fake one for $5?
11. inertiatic (Posts: 28; Member since: 29 May 2012)
I just knew there had to be a use for an iPhone5. Next someone's going to try this with a smartphone.
15. Fuego84 (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 May 2012)
Most people that where trying pick it up was because they confused it for a Samsung galaxy s 3
16. aoikemono27 (Posts: 177; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
None of them looked like fools, nor was the video funny. A percentage of them would've probably stolen the phone if they could pick it up, but most would've just tried to phone the owner and give it back. The ones doing most of the laughing were the people trying to pull it up and noticed it was stuck hard, and instantly knew it was a prank. Watching the act itself isn't very fun.
23. lyndon420 (Posts: 1869; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Question- how do you phone the owner back when you have his/her phone in your hand?
17. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
cool, we can all order a super-glued iphone 5 now...
25. BattleBrat (Posts: 1199; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
If memory serves prostitution and weed are legal in amsterdam (did you ever see the Jackass prostitute boat race?) and these guys are getting their jollies by gluing an iPhone to the ground? WHY!?!?!