From now on US soldiers will be armed with Android
0. phoneArena 29 Jun 2012, 08:14 posted on
The US Army has been testing a fully online army for almost 16 years now, and finally after those long years, the project is ready for rollout this October when American soldiers…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
US soldiers are smart :)
36. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6141; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
you're the only troll here and dissing our men and women in uniform.
40. cripton805 (Posts: 907; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Maybe we will start seing those "Gun apps" being used by terrorists.
Ill just use my "Lightsaber app" to counter their bullets.
19. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Lol yep. I can imagine hipster soldiers running around with iPhones. They'd have to have 3 otterboxes a piece though. :P
20. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
But they should really have considered a phone with even more Battery like the Razr Mazz as they are really gonna need the phone to run for longer and it is true that they won't find the charger or a socket every day..!
22. android_sucks (Posts: 111; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
They are but not because they use android! This may prove to be a very dumb move!!!
2. mercorp (Posts: 967; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
So,Now dare you say the android platform is insecure and fragmented?
12. Penny (Posts: 1107; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Stock security and fragmentation are of no concern to organizations that are going to lock everything down anyway. The only reason why an organization like the Army would go with Android is because they can change it to fit their needs.
Basically, Linux based systems can be fully customized (with development) to be as secure as you want it, but that doesn't mean it comes very secure when you buy it from the store.
24. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 418; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
exactly why Android OS is the best OS in the world. It works just about everywhere, for any device. Mobile, appliances, Glasses, Car stereos, you name it...
Google nailed it! It's like Windows but for every device, not just PCs.. Google has something special with Android and nobody can stop them! Which is good because nearly everything cool Google offers is free to consumers, that is a company I like backing!
18. soshi (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
Army better use open source because they can build their own security system. Why would they trust Canadian company or ios security if they don't know the person behind it
3. eDiesel (Posts: 141; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Its the Atrix because of the fingerprint scanner.
29. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1046; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Yeah this phone is pretty good... Until it rains and then it's game over. Should have got a rugged phone with actual mil specs.
37. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6141; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
that's why i bought my Atrix :) finger senor should be on all motorola phones. just saying
4. ilia1986 (unregistered)
US Army always chooses the best of the best. :D
23. android_sucks (Posts: 111; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
Which is why they went with iOS first!!! Look it up!!!
26. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1208; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Okay, so if iOS is the best, why are they now going with android? Usually the reason to switch is because what you have doesn't fit your needs or there is something better.
On the reasoning for not going with the Razr Maxx, I wonder if it had to do with non removable batteries. Carry a few extras with you & swap out when they die if you're in an area where you're not going to see an outlet for several days.
30. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Every masterpiece has it's rough draft.
33. android_sucks (Posts: 111; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
Android is the worst!!! How can you defend that crap?
39. BREvenson (Posts: 204; Member since: 17 May 2012)
If Android is the worst, why is it that the best and most respected men and women we have to offer are now using it? The way I see it, the best deserve the best, and Android is the best they'll get.
As a former soldier, it is always nice to see the military adopt a new form of secure communication or technological innovation to help strengthen their forces. There is much more to be done with Android from a tactical and technological standpoint than there is with an Apple product. Without open-source software and less restriction in the system, the phone would be unsuitable and ill-equipped to handle what the military expects of it.
In other words, Android does what Apple doesn't. The Army has spoken.
58. android_sucks (Posts: 111; Member since: 28 Jul 2011)
Then I guess android is a rough draft because it is at the bottom of the totem pole. I would rather have a whackberry than a laggy andddddddddrrrrrrrooooooiiiiiiiidddddd!
6. Slammer (Posts: 941; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Since the military is so accustomed to paying higher, overly inflated prices for supplies and equipment, I'm surprised they didn't go with Apple!
7. Sniggly (Posts: 6697; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
I wonder which Atrix they chose. Maybe by the time the rollout happens, it'll be he Atrix 3.
9. Kjayhawk (Posts: 282; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)
I'm 1st BCT Warriors 10th Mountain. I have heard about this going on in the army but didn't know 10th mountain was starting this up...
10. Jay_F (Posts: 236; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
FYI, it's 'Brigadier" General not "Brigade".
13. Robert235 (Posts: 50; Member since: 30 May 2010)
Army slogan "In Google we Trust".I bet their android gonna have drone control app.Im sure if they went with apple,their location would be sold to terrorist.
14. mas11 (Posts: 1026; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
RAZR MAXX seems like the better option because of its extremely long battery life.
17. spanky (Posts: 81; Member since: 02 Jun 2011)
im sure Its due to the fingerprint scanner, and i am willing to bet money it will ship with a way bigger battery
47. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I think you need to check android bud..... most "security reasons" BS is based on how google allows apps to be installed outside of the market witch is something the army can control, android is a powerful tool the army can tweak and hack till they are pleased, unlike other commercial OS's
so go find better reasons PAL
49. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
So those malware and rogue apps got on the market by themselves? There's been more security breaches, viruses, and malware than on a Windows computer.
56. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"There's been more security breaches, viruses, and malware than on a Windows computer."
43. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
Android isn't as secure as iOS. Android phones also go out of date faster than any other smartphones.
46. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Android isn't as secure as iOS."
"Android phones also go out of date faster than any other smartphones."
Do you think it is important for military?
48. protozeloz (Posts: 5369; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
is not, its a fanboy excuse, under what standard an android phone goes out of date?
50. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
It's not a fanboy excuse. It's fanboy denial from Android fans.
53. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5461; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Still no arguments, yes, seems that it is only fan's excuse...
25. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Some one posted they think the Army is making a mistake, well color me surprised isn't that what happens in life to begin with, mistakes. They researched and chose which best supported their needs and obviously allowed them to build their own optimized eco system with military grade security to boot. Now how about you take your love for all things apple and bury it in the place you see fit.
I don't think the iPhone would make sense because of that non removable battery issue, lack of fingerprint scanner and just being plain too small for those well worn hands of military personnel in the field. Trust me when you use your hands for manual labor a lot, your hands tend to swell up a bit and that tiny iPhone screen would make you want to kill someone, when your index finger is the size of your thumb because of exercises and blocking out the screen and you can't see what you are pressing. Lol. Anyway why so upset apple guys? You have the hipster, and celebrities why add more people to your corral?
31. flipjzn (Posts: 126; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Motorola makes good phone. I had like 3 razrs ;)
32. Moocracka (Posts: 4; Member since: 11 May 2012)
Gotta call in fire support? Hang on.... phone just started boot looping. How do I get to the bootloader again? Oh yeah, volume down and power? Wait... that didn't work. Try volume up and power? There we go. Okay, hard resetting.... back up. Wait... hands free activation. Yup, we're good. Okay, coordinates?
34. Sniggly (Posts: 6697; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Except I never had a phone boot loop on me until I first downloaded a cracked update then had to revert from that update.
The second time was when I rooted and had to load an older version of the software to get the proper steps done for an ICS ROM.
41. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
I'm pretty sure Android bootlooping is quite common.
44. Normil (Posts: 17; Member since: 02 May 2011)
Learn what bootlooping means before you spit out non-sense
51. Otterbox (banned) (Posts: 71; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
Denying the problem does not make it go away.
35. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6141; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Gotta love our military service choosing the right phone. I also have the Atrix the finger sensor button also what sold me.
45. TimTebow (Posts: 70; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Atrix still kicking ass.
9.5 on phone arena and now fighting wars.
54. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3882; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Epic marketing opportunity. "The Motorola Atrix, the only phone trusted by the military."