Freeze the blades! Nokia Lumia 928 Xenon flash and Rich Recording mics put to the test (video)
0. phoneArena 13 May 2013, 03:26 posted on
A set of camera tests and samples has appeared, done with the newly-announced Nokia Lumia 928, and the results are pretty stellar when it comes to the optical image stabilization performance and the Xenon flash demo. Also, Nokia's Smart Camera Lens seems to be making a cameo on the handset, bringing to WP8 what the default camera app is lacking like shutter speed control, manual white balance and so on...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
37. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
NICE to see Nokia bringing Xenon Flash back to Smartphones...nice move!! now others will follow the trend & Android Camera Phone users will soon get Xenon !!!! Hurrayyy
2. brandonrana (Posts: 57; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
This is just AAAMMMMAAAAZZZZIIINNNGGGG!!!!!
15. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
to the people who are talking about the cons:
Of course there cons, no phone camera is expected to be perfect. If anything, I am wow-ed by the video, not the photos :)
4. djay_434 (Posts: 7; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
i cannot believe the sound i am hearing!!! my God, is that really a smart phone recording??? killer!!!!
7. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Yeah, 3 phones do this superbly: 808,920 and 928. Top notch audio recording.
44. cam-whore (Posts: 164; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
and no, nokia can do this even without stupid quad- or octa- core bs, it doesn't need one....
6. Shubham412302 (Posts: 431; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
not only the sound was amazing but also the ois was working great when the recorder was turning around
8. tositem (Posts: 17; Member since: 17 Mar 2013)
awesome footage! Too bad L928 is only available in the US - hope the next update will bring better camera performance for my L920. Good job Nokia.
9. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
My HTC one x takes way more betta pics in complete darkness with flash on, the pics with flash or without makes Nokia's pics very grainy and a bit noisy but the flash just brings unseen things and that's normal pfffttt just marketing my friends just marketing.
10. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
That's funny because the One X had the worst camera on a flagship device last year, a fact proven by multiple tests on multiple sites.
13. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
After the update to 4.1 jelly bean the HTC one x is the best much better then the s3 and iPhone 5 and don't worry I'm not talking trash my mate's were shocked at the results compared to their phones
16. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Does your phone have built-in xenon flash? 'nough said!
25. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Can u differentciate between a normal flash and xenon flash like what does it do different. Mate its just a marketing strategy its like saying a LCD display on a smartphone and retina display on iPhone wich is I think an ips display, u get the pic bro, its just to make there products stand out.
27. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
You can't differentiate between a xenon and led flash assisted photo? Are you f**kin' kidding me?
28. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Hahaha u said it there's no differentiation :) Nokia fans are still around the world existing in small numbers very rare to find them
29. rsiders (Posts: 868; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
I think you missed the question mark on the end of his statements bro.
30. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
oh God. why is your name mr.techdude but you know sh!tty information?
31. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
best thiing about zeon flash is no more blury pics if camera shakes too hard or the object shakes just like that fan
46. cam-whore (Posts: 164; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
...or carl zeiss lenses...or pureview...no it doesn't. It's a nokia, why you even try to compare it with trash cam? Nokia is the best in camphones, his one x can't even beat the n86...
19. SIGPRO (Posts: 1390; Member since: 03 Oct 2012)
Keep on dreaming! Whahah your HTC one takes better pictures.......you made my day! Maybe you need glasses!
24. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Well I'm glad I mad your day hope u can sleep properly little baby do want a pacifier too :)
36. sbw44 (Posts: 433; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Tell me if there is no difference between Xenon and LED flash like you say, why does every DSLR have a xenon flash? Why does most cars headlights use Xenon lights rather than LED?
your comments just shows how stupid you trolls are!
11. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
If any one tells me that's not marketing pls go do bussines studies and then talk. I'm a yr 12 student who is doing bussines studies and there are many companies that fool consumers to buy their products like what Nokia did to there 920 how they were caught lying about there ois so please don't comment stupid things.
17. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia didn't lie about their OIS technology: the persons whom they had contracted to make a commercial about their product were the ones who made it seem as though the device being marketed was used to generate the source video...
However, before you miss the point, the bottom line is that Nokia's Pureview Technology works exactly as claimed. The Lumia 920 is the real deal, and it's video and audio recording capabilities are better than existing competitors, including the HTC ONE X that you were bragging about.
Don't bother to reply, because you'll only make yourself look stupid ;o)
22. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Oh we have a smarty around here ur just stupid Nokia who has a contract whomever is making there ads for them like as if Nokia is not going to examin the ad before publishing it idiot and that wasn't the first ad that they lied about even outdoor at night 920 vs one x vs 4s vs s3 with no flash and Nokia produced the most lighting srsly it was obvious that they were using high tech dash lights and aluminum umbrellas brhing them to brighten up the image and cheat. Even if Nokia makes the best cameras so what its practically useless in specs.
34. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lame sheep anymore words needed you have not ever used nokia 920 and u spitting crazy comments out like u have Phd in user experence go to bed
20. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Okay, so Samsung, HTC, apple, everything... all their ads has been lying all this time? You are a year 12 student in business, but your comment make you sound like a 12 year old. If you dont believe official videos, there are always others tested by gadget sites and users to prove it; and Nokia's technologies are pretty well proven and not lies.
23. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Ur argument is too mixed between lying and over exaggerate what Nokia did was lie their consumers and other companies just over exagerate just to make there products stand OK u sound like a 30 year who still can't differntciate between lying or false adverstising which u can take action and is very illegal and on the other hand theres over exagerating every company does this and is not illegal, I clearly stated that don't post stupid coments but there are stupid ppl like u who can't listen.
32. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
yeah like ur whole line of Crapdroids come without marketting and other over hype
12. hipnotika (Posts: 353; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
only video performance is great.
photo is same ... not perfect...
35. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
thats where zenon flash comes to play in any phone my first cybershot k800 could do that xenon flash :D
21. eisenbricher (Posts: 973; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Go Troll, go. Write your magnificent and valuable comment.
26. dre786 (Posts: 46; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
all these other smartphone makers are playing catch up to nokia lumnia series and they have just getting started....
38. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 867; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
"Last, but not least, the first for a Windows Phone Xenon flash was put to the test, and managed to freeze a picture of rotating fan blades, which is a pretty awesome achievement for a smartphone, and you will surely appreciate a powerful Xenon unit for those group family portraits in the dimly lit room around a Thanksgiving dinner, too."
Come on Daniel, really? That's what xenon flashes do. They can freeze the action. The N82, N8, and 808 all do this.
So what you should have said there is "...xenon flash was put to the test, and as expected, it showcased exactly why the xenon flash is far superior, freezing the blades of the ceiling fan with ease."
39. lelouchltm (Posts: 8; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i'm more than impressed i'm just wowed! i want it! i want it! i want it! why there's no international version of L928?? :(
40. Lauticol (Posts: 335; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Nokia Lumia 928 is not the first WP to have a Xenon flash. The HTC Mozart did this in 2010..
42. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Even if that was true, you citing a device that was made for Windows CE is like me comparing a 486DX 100 running DOS to an Intel 3930K CPU with Win 7 installed - there is simply no comparison.
47. Lauticol (Posts: 335; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
In fact, the HTC Mozart came out with Windows Phone 7..
41. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Amazing Quality, you could nearly make an independent movie with that phone ^_^
43. PhoneCritic (Posts: 685; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I am impress with the sound recording quality and the video recording. The still shots not so much as far as the flash yeah no doubt Xenon flash is a winner but it still does not make the image quality in my eyes any better. Still I think Nokia has a winner in their hands if they can market it right. In my opinion I believe if Nokia was also producing Android devices then Samsung would have very tough Competition in fact Apple would most likely have seen its smartphone share of the US/Global market fall off much earlier.
45. mydi.maus (unregistered)
freeze the blades...and it did. nokia is king