Foxconn suicides continue, "silent mode" reinstated at factory
A 24-year-old male worker jumped off a building to his death on April 24th only two days after getting a job in the factory. Only three days later a 23-year-old female jumped off her sixth-floor apartment and was carried away by medical staff, but employees overheard medics saying it might be too late to save her.
Everything is once again in “silent mode” at the Zhengzhou Foxconn factory in China where employees have been forbidden from speaking about anything but work on the factory floor. Even when speaking voices should be low so no one else can hear. Meetings between more than two people are policed and have to happen in specially designated places. Breaking those rules leads to cuts in the salary or downright firing of employees.
Foxconn workers’ complaints are about the long monotonous work hours spent in silence. 14 people committed suicide in Foxconn factories in 2010 and after a massive outcry the company was forced to change the conditions of its workers.
source: MIC Gadget
1. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Geez.......Foxconn is the worst company ever! x(
8. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
you are always the first one to post a comment on every article, what app do you use ? do you get a notification whenever a new article comes up?
15. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Huh? I'm trying my best to not be the first one to post a comment, and I'm not always the first one to post a comment right now, just go check last week's article and this week's article, you can see I'm not the first any more!
17. Jason2k13 (Posts: 642; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
i think what nikolas meant was, you tend to post on every article that comes out.
43. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Apple sucks each iPhone is stained with the blood of innocent foxcon worker!
47. Ninetysix (Posts: 1584; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
If we have a compilation of the worst posts per week, this probably would have been included in the top 5.
If you have a cell phone, game console, or a PC, you have something made from Foxconn. How does it feel knowing that you supported Foxconn? What are you going to do about it?
30. poopApple (banned) (Posts: 38; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
@ xperiaDROID : A true phonearena lover
....he starts interesting debates in the comment section
36. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
@ poopApple : A true funny user name
...he starts pooping "Apples" in the comment section
67. poopApple (banned) (Posts: 38; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
and xperiaDROID eats all of them ! lol
41. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
I refresh phonearena's page every 2 hours maybe (Im often connected by one of my devices - phone, tablet or laptop with the browser running all the time) just to see any new stuff, or read new comments. Maybe i deserve a medal for this.
Joking aside, that's how some tech geeks are. Unlike XperiaDroid im lazy to comment on every single post though.
42. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
hahaha pa is one of the most up-to-date phone news websites..others such as pocketnow phonedog engadget theverge etc don't update as often as pa do
49. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Yet they're always late by 1-3days when it comes to real news..
44. BiN4RY (Posts: 81; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
I highly doubt he's using any apps. He just really needs to stop sitting infront of his computer 24/7.
25. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, today is labour day and no one in Foxconn is gonna suicide, yet.
Please, please, no more suicide! Those workers are innocent!
51. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
as i see it the only way to stop suicides is to stop buying products foxconn produces until they rectify their mistakes...
74. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Actually, that would work. No more Apple sales = Slow down, then hault, in production = factory shutdown = no more workers = no more suicides. It's a win/win! Genius!
35. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5750; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Modern day sweatshop. Or, maybe the veal box is a closer analogy?
62. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 361; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
I am an iPhone user and Chinese myself... I don't care
2. joey_sfb (Posts: 2906; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Slavery... no other word to put it. One guard is placed in every station,
40. asulect (Posts: 131; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
gees, the 24 years old male jumped only 2 days after getting a job there. I wonder what foxconn has done to him in only 2 days.
64. Cellphonator12 (Posts: 27; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Right, that almost makes you think there's something else involved, come on 2 days? Even if you've worked an insane amount of hours for 2 days........ you kill yourself?
45. stealthd (Posts: 956; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Well there are plenty of other words to put it. The reality is anyone in Foxconn can quit and go do something else, and they'll probably starve because there's nothing better out there. The issue isn't Foxconn, it's China and their massive amount of poverty.
56. joey_sfb (Posts: 2906; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
There a lot of rich Chinese in china, these people are mostly from the rural area of china. Its exploitation, if the person can leave so easier as and when they want no one will have to die.
The problem is once you sign up you can't leave the place, the employer reason is that they need to protect their clients trade secret.
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Interesting if it is related with subdivision which manufacture parts for Apple.
20. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
And how on earth will it actually matter? A life lost due to BS n Foxconn is a life lost, it doesn't matter if it's from the Apple/Nokia/Acer or any other event. The conditions need to be improved.
27. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Your interpretation is stupid!
Have I said that it is worse if people commit suicide from Apple's subdivision than from any other subdivision??? No!!!
I just have said that it is interesting if it is related with subdivision which manufactures parts for Apple. And overall it is interesting which companies subdivision has biggest count of suicides. I think that customers should know which companies products are the most soiled with blood!
5. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 3510; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Why do people continue to associate Apple with Foxconn? They are two different companies. Samsung also does business with them as well and they too were in trouble.
10. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Samsung does business with them?
It's the only major tech company that doesn't have a contract with Foxconn, when it comes to their main products.
They are made in Korea and Vietnam
14. Ninetysix (Posts: 1584; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Quick web search and found a few.
/261888/behind_the_scenes_with _samsungs_chinese_factory_girl s.html
/261883/samsung_slammed_for_al leged_worker_mistreatment_in_c hina.html
18. Jason2k13 (Posts: 642; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
none of those articles ever mentioned that samsung does business with Foxconn, and the droiddog article sounded like a mad apple fanboy.
21. Ninetysix (Posts: 1584; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Is your google search broken? Droiddog is an android site. LOL.
26. Jason2k13 (Posts: 642; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
so your saying only 'android lovers' can post article on that website?
Also you just posted another useless article from an author with bad grammars and punctuation. That article had no legitimate 'sources' or links to back up his claim.
You should just stop right here.
29. Ninetysix (Posts: 1584; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Stop commenting on the grammar when you can't even fix yours. It's you're and not your.
There are these things called search engines. You type in the search words and they go out on the intrawebzzz and search for you. Please stop being a dumm*ss and be open minded. There are a lot of Samesung products made in China/Foxconn.
31. Jason2k13 (Posts: 642; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
why would i need proper grammer in the comment section? and can you PLEASE stop with the useless websites, that website is probably the worst one yet... how bout show me a government, news, statistics company website with links to sources to back up thier claim, not blogs or website that tells people to 'submit' if they know where samsung manufactures there products like that last one lol
34. Ninetysix (Posts: 1584; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
How about you do your own research. Come on broski. You can do it :)
Scroll down in that thread and there's a picture of an S3 box that says "Phone Made in China". Gotta have pictures for you!
33. Jason2k13 (Posts: 642; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
and i am open minded, thats why i never disagreed or agreed that samsung makes business with foxconn. But unless theres legit evidence that samsung does work with Foxconn than i will truly believe it. Unlike you who's looking throughout google just to prove your right, it just shows your a hater to Samsung.
32. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Where is FOXCONN in those articles??
I said Samsung doesn't have a contract with Foxconn.
And I said their main products - the Galaxy line - is being made in Korea and Vietnam.
Now go thumb me down for stating facts!
28. ama3654 (Posts: 249; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Foxconn problems started when they began manufacturing iPhones and iPads, Apple pushed them to the limit without considering any compensatory welfare benefits, i think that's a bit greedy considering this is your primary manufacturing plant and you make huge profits from their hard labour.
68. roscuthiii (Posts: 1797; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Just about everyone in the tech game does business with Foxconn (or Hon Hai really).
But... could be mistaken here, the Zhengzhou facility for Apple parts.
7. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
read this Tim Cook : Just ditch the "Assembled in China" and change it with "Assembled in the USA" Manufacturing costs are not an issue since your products are already expensive and therefore price raise can't be justified
11. Ninetysix (Posts: 1584; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Dumb. I didn't know Apple is the only client by foxconn.
FOXCONN manufactures products for companies including:
(country of headquarters in parentheses)
Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)
Apple Inc. (United States)
Barnes & Noble (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Dell (United States)
EVGA Corporation (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)
Intel (United States)
IBM (United States)
Microsoft (United States)
Motorola (United States)
Netgear (United States)
Samsung (South Korea)
Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)
Vizio (United States)
16. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
-Made In Taiwan :)
37. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5750; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
And not by Foxconn. Maybe another reason to buy a One - protest inhumane work conditions?
39. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I should have a 64GB One before the weekend is out.=)
19. Aeires (unregistered)
So it's "the beatings will continue until the moral improves." Seriously, how can strong arming conversations with gestapo tactics help anything? Time for a new CEO.
24. AngryAppleCustomer. (Posts: 30; Member since: 01 May 2013)
The is why Samsung is the worst.
46. BigBoss10 (Posts: 232; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
Apple treat workers like dog go S H I T!!!!
48. Neurone (Posts: 54; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Instead of installing nets around the building, raising the wages, do counselling about working conditions, any other issues with the employees....
71. Cellphonator12 (Posts: 27; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
The counselors jumped from the window before the workers.
50. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6437; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Im sure no ceo's of any company dont know bout this. This is just sad.
52. 8logic (Posts: 130; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
to be clear, i am born and raised in the west; i just find it interesting that people in the west throw around words like inhuman, slavery, child labor, etc... in regard to developing world working conditions. may i remind you that, every industrial country in the west had to go through this to become developed and have better jobs?
for example, what will happen to children that work in a factory to survive because they are too poor? im sure they would much prefer to go play or go to school, but the sad truth is, the rest of the world do not live such a luxury life like we do in the west. these children will end up in the streets do crime, prostitution, etc.... factory work might not be good, but its better than starvation, prostitution, etc...
so, before we start bitching about the work conditions, just think where they'll be without the jobs. the discussion on working condition is relative to the standard of living of the country.
60. 8logic (Posts: 130; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
thank you, it just saddens me that people do know economics. all people ever talk about is social justice, if the standard of living is not high enough, will there even be the concept of social justice for these people to throw around. there is a direct correlation between standard of living and "social justice".