Foxconn plant rumored to halt work on Apple iPhone 5c to concentrate on Apple iPhone 5s
Foxconn is not the main supplier of the plastic coated iPhone, and those in the know say that it is responsible for 30% of iPhone 5c production. The remaining 70% is believed to be manufactured by Pegatron Technology. The latter has purportedly cut back on its production of the model. Right after the new iPhones launched in September, the higher-priced iPhone 5s got off to a nearly 3 to 1 advantage in sales, when compared to the iPhone 5c. Since then, the ratio has tightened up a bit, but the iPhone 5s still is greatly outselling the iPhone 5c.
The Foxconn factory in Zhengzhou employs 120,000 and will now focus on producing the Apple iPhone 5s, which is the Cupertino based tech titan's flagship smartphone. Unlike the iPhone 5c, the full-featured model offers a more polished aluminum build, the Touch ID fingerprint scanner embedded in the home button, and is powered by a 64 bit A7 processor. Of course, the two models impact your wallet differently. The subsidized price for the iPhone 5s starts at $199 for the 16GB model, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. The iPhone 5c is being sold on contract for $99 and $199 for the 16GB and 32GB models respectively.
1. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5737; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Dogs don't like dog food that tastes bad. People also know the difference between a cheap phone and a same phone, and are voting with their wallets. Despite Timmy wanting to increase Apples margins with the cheap phone, customers ain't buying it. The cheap phone is going to be a sales fail.
2. android_hitman (Posts: 594; Member since: 07 Jul 2010)
LOL, but what Timmy did is brilliant... he knew nobody will buy the 5c when it's a mere 100€ difference in price and by doing so he just trippled the 5s sales.
Every apple fan will buy the expensive one because it's better in every aspect.
4. darkkjedii (Posts: 11132; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The C has its target Audience, it's just not gonna be the hit they hoped for. I do see lotsa people with em though.
6. marbovo (Posts: 641; Member since: 16 May 2013)
So, why, didn´t they just kept selling the 5 together with 5S(like they always did) instead of creating a new version?
I think they missed the shot, and next year, 5c won´t get a sucessor.
What I think apple should do is create three sized phones. 4", 4.7" and 5.5"
13. RageQuit (Posts: 41; Member since: 05 Sep 2011)
Because its cheaper to refit the assembly and make the iPhone 5C than it is to keep making the old iPhone 5 because the cost of labor and parts for the older iPhone stays constant but the value price it is sold at remains constant.
9. Finalflash (Posts: 1720; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea, hate to see douchy tactics like that succeed and then watch idiots defend it with marketing points. Hopefully it fails hard for them and makes them actually provide better products instead of better strong arming tactics. The next quarters sales will probably be the decider for Apple changing their ways or finding better ways to screw people who bought into their ecosystem.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 11132; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Smart move apple. With plenty of 5C stock, concentrate on the big seller.
10. ArtSim98 (limited) (Posts: 2738; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
A smart move would have been to not release the 5C at all... :)
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 11132; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Tell apple HQ that, not me. I'm a consumer... :)
5. trickster_qc (Posts: 80; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
With the cases Apple designed for the 5C, I'm amazed it's not selling like hot cakes.
7. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
5c 16 gig $50 at Target. They are probably the only ones selling the phone because of the price point.
And nobody in their right mind would spend $200 on the 32 gig.
11. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
So 5C was a moderate failure in Ballmer's words.