Foxconn factory shut down after 2,000-employee brawl erupts, 40 workers injured
It is not yet clear whether that particular factory was one of Foxconn’s iOS device manufacturing facilities. Some analysts claim that this factory is manufacturing back covers for the iPhone 5, and others disagree saying it’s likely not and is instead making Nintendo Wiis.
The brawl broke out around 11pm and the fight heated up and lasted until 3am when police interfered.
“We want to give people time to cool down,” Foxconn spokesman Louis Woo commented on the incident. Foxconn chairman Terry Gou was also informed and approved the halt of factory operations.
With Foxconn’s 79,000 employees, the halt of this one facility is not likely to affect manufacturing in a major way.
Brawl at Foxconn Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
10 great Android widgets you should try
09 Apr 2013, 08:08
Samsung Galaxy S4: 10 exclusive or little-known features review
05 Apr 2013, 07:17
Best Android phones to get this spring
17 Apr 2013, 09:48
5 smartphone apps banned by... Google
16 Apr 2013, 07:24
Samsung Galaxy S 4 hands-on
14 Mar 2013, 18:32
Google+ surpasses Twitter to take number 2 social network after Facebook
28 Jan 2013, 00:58
3. Droid_X_Doug posted on 24 Sep 2012, 04:24 2 1
Well, the plant is supposed to make the case for the iP5, so Apple is an accessory of sorts (morally as opposed to legally).
19. Connie.Linghus (banned) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 07:49 0 0
I abhor violence and iMelees of any kind because violence is baaa-haaa-haaa-aaaaad.
20. VZWuser76 posted on 24 Sep 2012, 08:58 0 1
I may be dating myself a bit here but the first thing that came to my mind was "Less filling/ Taste great".
(That was from the Miller Lite ads from the 80s- early 90s.)
I guess the could've had the Bugs Bunny/ Daffy Duck argument, Duck season/ Rabbit season.
24. metalpoet (unregistered) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 15:22 0 0
Hell yeah! please please god let this hurt apple in some way!
27. metalpoet (unregistered) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 15:33 0 0
*Chinese accent* oohhh you dipspits get back to work on those icrap products! you have 20 hour day ahead of you, go now or we kick u!
2. sarb009 posted on 24 Sep 2012, 04:17 10 1
hey apple why are u so greedy ? please cut ur profit margin a bit
4. Droid_X_Doug posted on 24 Sep 2012, 04:26 6 0
Ummm. Because they want to add to their pile of cash (so executives like Jonie Ivie can cash in fewer options to fund the purchase of $17 million houses)?
18. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 07:08 5 0
Now, now, Ives already said Apple wasn't about money. I forget, was that before or after he purchased the $17 million house?
22. devildlm1 posted on 24 Sep 2012, 11:39 0 0
Its extremely sad when you look at these numbers. Assuming that Jonie Ivie already had a house and tons of money, he alone could have given every single foxconn worker $200 each with the money he used to buy that house which would make a major difference in their lives. Not that i'd expect him to but damn, this is a crazy world we live in.
5. Astri posted on 24 Sep 2012, 04:35 22 1
Someone whispered "The next big thing is already here" and the party started
14. TROLL posted on 24 Sep 2012, 05:57 4 0
That was funny.
6. wendygarett (limited) 2 days ago posted on 24 Sep 2012, 04:37 5 3
WOW!!! Fighting just to taste the iphone 5!!! Thats crazy!!! :)
8. CapedCrusaderRobin posted on 24 Sep 2012, 04:46 2 0
Somewhere out there , there is a youtube video of that fight, itching to be uploaded for the world to see !
11. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 05:19 1 0
That was a long fight.
13. jaytai0106 posted on 24 Sep 2012, 05:28 1 0
oh yeah, kind of wish to see the video of the whole brawl. must have been brutal :/ poor guys.
12. intos posted on 24 Sep 2012, 05:26 2 0
where is the human rights for that people ?? for apple this is a joke...
15. remixfa posted on 24 Sep 2012, 05:58 10 0
expect this to happen at more foxconn factories if they find out about it.
"hey look, they got a vacation day!! fight everyone fight!!"
When I read it it sounded like the Chinese version of West Side Story. Rival factions dance fighting across the halls.
25. metalpoet (unregistered) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 15:28 0 0
YES FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
16. kshell1 posted on 24 Sep 2012, 06:02 4 0
The low wages finally got to them. Instead of hurting themselves, they hurt each other.
17. SleepingOz posted on 24 Sep 2012, 06:17 3 0
Nintendo worker - Hey, my GSIII is better than the elongated remote control you're making!
Apple worker - Say what? Want a PS3?
26. metalpoet (unregistered) posted on 24 Sep 2012, 15:28 0 0
lets get it on!
28. wolstenbeast posted on 24 Sep 2012, 15:36 0 0
You've gotta fight for your right to Parteeeeeee!