Former engineer says hardware keyboard was "seriously considered" for original iPhone
1. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Steve Jobs probably never considered it but maybe the others working with him did.
10. sgtdisturbed47 (Posts: 312; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
Jobs would never have let it happen. The idea was to be as keyless as possible. Having a keyboard would have negated 90% of the overall design that changed the landscape of smartphones permanently.
13. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I read the bio and what Isaacson said went along with Job's personality. I can't see him every wanting something as trivial as a built in keyboard being on his beautiful phone. He loved the idea of doing everything with the fingertip. (remember, he said no to the stylus)
3. Nithence (Posts: 4; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)
such a boring article.. i think author have never watched or listened to stev jobs' keynote on the day he first introduced iPhone..
5. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
thank god they didnt, or the resident iFans would be running around saying apple invented the keyboard and the G1 is a direct rip of the iphone.. ugh.
9. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
cant go one article without citing apple vs android eh? but i agree, im glad they did not as personally i like virtual keyboards a lot better.. some people might not, but i would say the majority is fine with virtual keyboards
11. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
it took a lot for me to get away from a physical keyboard. some things are just easier.. especially from a hack/programming perspective.
What I would have liked to see was for them to invent some sort of better keyboard than what is offered. Not sure what.. just something better. I really thought RIM was onto something with the Pezio tech in the storms and was hoping that would be developed into something cool.. but alas, that didnt happen.
12. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i agree the screen on the storm was decent just for a virtual keyboard, but i hated it for everything else... if they could find a way to only activate it when typing then that would be cool
6. Mube1 (Posts: 153; Member since: 22 Sep 2011)
If apple wud use keyboard in future this is called innovative lolz
8. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
and apple will patent it even if it existed b4