For the first time in history, smartphone sales overtake those of feature phones
0. phoneArena 14 Aug 2013, 10:10 posted on
Regardless of whether you choose to take a stoic, or a more dramatic stance on this, the fact is that, if numbers from Gartner are to be trusted, we've finally crossed into the next frontier...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. shuaibhere (Posts: 1983; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
in near future android phones sales will overtake feature phones sales...
14. joey_sfb (Posts: 5435; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Not if iPhone 5"C" has anything to say about that.
C stands for Cheap, its the current iPhone 5 repackage into a cheap plastic case that saves the life of millions from an electrifying experience.
21. sherby (Posts: 7; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
cheap iphone is not cheap...... rumoured pricing at US $490 >.
3. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Low end Androids can't be counted. They are pretentious smartphones. They should be classified as annoying phones.
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
And why would you say that? People who can't afford a high-end Android will buy a low-end Android, that's already enough to make them happy. So why would you classify low-end Androids as annoying phones?
7. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
because using android on low end (really lowest of low end) is very annoying/frustrating.
12. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2075; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Annoyance and frustration don't determine whether low-end Androids should be counted or not.
18. cameogt (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
low-end Android laggs, hangs, freezes. that's why it's annoying.
15. lonestrider (Posts: 88; Member since: 31 Mar 2012)
True. I was using Galaxy Mini. It's good and can do a lot of things (because the OS is Android). But anything I do with that phone, I got super-lag experience & errors.
I think low-end phones nowadays still struggling with that kind of experience. Higher spec with more spec-hungry software.
Fortunately, now I'm using Galaxy Nexus and I can see a huge difference in performance.
Low-end Android phone shouldn't be counted as smartphone. Also, Asha phones. Is it counted as smartphone too?
20. cameogt (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Asha phones considered as feature phones or some call it "dumb-phone"
and what alterecho is suggesting, low-end Android should be called feature phones or "dumb-phone"
11. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Oh so iphone 3g/3gs/4 and nokia lumia 520/620/720/820/920/1020/800/900 sales shouldn't be counted either coz using them is very annoying/frustrating...
or you could go looking for stat which compares iphone 5 vs sgs4/note 2....
13. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
They still function as smart phones. With calling, internet, applications, etc. They aren't the best but to exclude them is like saying some random guy DOESN'T have a TV, just because it's an old TV that is several years old.
4. ryq24 (Posts: 698; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Thanks to cheap Chinese and Indian makers, most people can afford to buy smartphone instead of feature phones. This is not good news for nokia coz their bestsellers are still their feature phones. Only few people buy their lumia phones.
6. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Indian Market cheap? lol ...Dude people in India buy phones in full price with no contract subsidies. When did you buy an iphone or flagship androids for $600+ .
9. Lyngdoh (Posts: 238; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
If you know how to read and understand, he clearly wrote 'makers' and you said 'market'. Pff!
10. veer.d (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
lenovo sells more smartphone than sony,htc,nokia,huawei,zte.
I just can't believe!!!!
16. Tcool (unregistered)
Nice one Sammy!
17. cameogt (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
see Picture 1 and Picture 3. compare them. what's the diff bet. Smartphone sales and Mobile Phone sales?
19. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
This was bound to happen now we must wait and see how things progress. That said, go WP and being number 3. The tide is changing slowly but surely.