Following two horrific events, Apple warns Chinese to use approved chargers only
0. phoneArena 25 Jul 2013, 10:30 posted on
Following two tragic events in China that left a 23 year old flight attendant dead and a 30 year old man in a coma, Apple is warning those in China to use only official Apple chargers; the Cupertino based company has added content to its Chinese website that shows how its customers in the country can make sure that the equipment they are using is a genuine official Apple product...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. darkkjedii (Posts: 11982; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Always use approved chargers and batteries. It's simply safer.
6. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3754; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I agree. Better to pay more for something that's approved and less likely to damage and cause an issue over using a cheap knockoff that's not approved.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 11982; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly, my old iPhone 3G had the charging port burned out by a third party car charger in 09'. Apple being apple replaced it for me at no cost.
35. Shatter (Posts: 2030; Member since: 29 May 2013)
If you told them it was a third party charger they wouldn't of fixed it for free.
41. darkkjedii (Posts: 11982; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I had no reason to lie to them, and they fixed. Apple is very good about backing their products. My ip5 screen had been cracked for about 3 months, this past wknd apple gave me a new one for the apple care repair price of $50, even though I don't have apple care. They did it just because I sat there for almost 3 hrs, due to how busy it was. Apple rocks dude
43. cam-whore (Posts: 164; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
good that they fixed that for you, even if you used a third party charger, since they charge too much for the official ones, and after they were recently in trouble in china about warranty issues. Congratulations for being so damned lucky unlike the other millions...
40. ScottSchneider (Posts: 319; Member since: 06 Dec 2011)
They didn't call it the Lightning Charger for no reason...
10. McLTE (Posts: 711; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Of course it is.
however, Apple designed the charger cable to have a USB connector on it, so it's impossible for them to think that people will not use other wall warts with the charger cable.
I sure hope Apple is at least looking into this and looking to make design changes if necessary to prevent this from happening if users choose to use other USB wall warts.
It's pretty sad if Apple takes the stance "well use the approved charger".
Pretty irresponsible engineering if you ask me.
If truly, the risk is DEATH if you don't use the correct wall wart, then Apple needs to re-design the cable so the wall wart is built into the cable, so you can't use others.
15. tacarat (Posts: 178; Member since: 22 Apr 2013)
The issue arises from good 3rd party accessories and POS ones. Apple is only going to accept responsibility for what they make, not somebody else. Perfectly reasonable. I don't think anybody wants to take that step back to non-modular chargers.
You can blame the EU too. Wikipedia has an article on the "Common External Power Supply".
17. Blazers (Posts: 227; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
This is not just Apple. Most all manufacturers do the same thing including Samsung and HTC.
19. Ninetysix (Posts: 1661; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Two issues out of millions and millions and it's an engineering issue? The charger wasn't even made/approved by Apple...LOL
25. mas11 (Posts: 1030; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Or make sure your 3rd party charger is from a trusted source. I have no problem using a Samsung charger with my Motorola RAZR HD
31. quakan (Posts: 1199; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Or be like me and know where to buy the exact thing for a lot less.
2. rallyguy (Posts: 558; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
It would be nice if they wouldn't overinflate the price on "official" accessories.
4. Taters (Posts: 3280; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
That is just how they roll. Their whole business revolves around overinflating prices and marketing it like they are giving their customers value. When in reality, there is no bigger rip off right now than Apple products.
32. quakan (Posts: 1199; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Apple is a for profit company, what do you expect? I hope you didn't think buying an Apple, Samsung, or HTC product or accessory meant that they were looking to give you Walmart brand store prices.
39. stealthd (Posts: 969; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Samsung charges $60 for a flip cover with a little plastic window and you say Apple is the biggest ripoff? That's hilarious.
7. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3754; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Actually official accessories aren't even that expensive.
12. McLTE (Posts: 711; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Compared to what?
if you work for the government.. then I suppose not.
18. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8706; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Apple charges $30 for every accessory they have. Of you have a Retina MBP, you're looking at an extra $150 alone for adaptors and such to hook it up to a display and play CDs/DVDs.
$30 for a lightning cable. Lol.
21. Ninetysix (Posts: 1661; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Notsureifserious or just dumb. $19 from Amazon and Apple's website.
_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Aapple+ligh tning+cable+OEM%2Ci%3Amobile&k eywords=apple+lightning+cable+ OEM&ie=UTF8&qid=1374772763
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8706; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Notsureiftroll or just dumb. Plus the little iconic cube. $19.99+ tax + $19.99 + tax = +$40.
23. Ninetysix (Posts: 1661; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
What is your point again? Stop posting for today and come back again tomorrow.
24. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8706; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Confirmed dumb troll. $24.99
You chose the most expensive charger when in real life the average Joe is going to pick the cheaper one. $24.99, $34.99 and $39.99.
What was your point? Do yourself a favor and log off and go outside. Thanks. My job here is done.
26. Ninetysix (Posts: 1661; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
You should have taken my advise :( I just LOL @blind haters that doesn't know any better. Here's how they think:
Apple's usb cable = $40
Samsung's usb cable = $40
OMFG Apple's expensive!!! Apple! Apple!
27. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8706; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You should have logged off and went outside. :(
You missed my point completely. A charger that costs $40 vs $24.99. Which do you think is going to be bought?
Average Joe: $24.99
I'm done replying to you. Have a good day. :)
34. quakan (Posts: 1199; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Everybody tweet #Notsureifseriousorjustdumb or #Notsureiftrollorjustdumb for PapaSmurf and Ninetysix lol. Seriously you guys' conversation was hilarious.
29. Kan_wha (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Electronics markets usually sells these OEM chargers for $10 a piece in China.
3. skyline100 (Posts: 17; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Chinese's products had been improved by a lot but then the counterfeit issue is still horrible.
30. Kan_wha (Posts: 88; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
One of the biggest problems with the "official" accessories is that counterfeiting is too big of a problem in China, you really don't know if you are buying real or fake from even the official stores. They even had fake prescription medication at hospitals a while ago.
9. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
iPhone shocks her into a coma weeks before her wedding.
And all Apple could say is you should use genuine products?
Stay classy Apple.
11. McLTE (Posts: 711; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Sorry, but telling us to use genuine products is FAR FAR from enough on Apple's part.
14. apple4never (Posts: 966; Member since: 08 May 2013)
the lady sadly died, it was the 30 year old guy who is in a coma now, i do hope he recovers
36. Stuntman (Posts: 734; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
What about the company who made the charger? I haven't heard anything from them yet.
37. Igneel (Posts: 19; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well, it wasn't their fault in the first place. It's not their product that caused it.
Keep on hating, dude..
13. xq10xa (Posts: 133; Member since: 07 Dec 2010)
Good thing I don't have either of those phones.
I use 3rd party chargers all the time. As long as they have good reviews I am good to go. Get them for like $10 for all three things on Amazon. Just gotta look at the brand and reviews. Don't buy something that looks like it was made on a portable 3D printer. At least not anytime soon until 3D printers become boss.
16. darkvadervip (Posts: 337; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Always somebody with drama on hear. It's simple! Stop buying cheap parts not meant for use with your cellphone or like I told my wife just because her galaxy USB cord fits my htc adapter it's not meant for that because each phone uses a different charge rate.
33. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
Companies should release the source so we can get them at discount. Paying thirty dollars for something that cost say 75 cents to make is ludicrous