Flappy Bird creator might have been spooked by legal issues
0. phoneArena 10 Feb 2014, 11:26 posted on
By now, we all now the story of Flappy Bird, the simple, yet addictive game, that Vietnamese developer Dong Nguyen pulled out of app stores around the world. The game was allegedly bringing Nguyen $50,000 a day from ad revenue, a pace that would have made him a millionaire before too long. Yet, he would have us believe that the success of the game overwhelmed him...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. datphoneguy (Posts: 94; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Doesn't surprise me in the least - apart from the "bird", everything else was nearly identical (in terms of visuals) to old school Mario games....
10. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 374; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
It was so obvious.. Nintendo said "Take it down, do not mention us and we will not sue you for a bazzilion dollars'.. He's like, ok, i hate that game anyways
23. akki20892 (Posts: 2282; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Actually story is different.
Looks like he didn't passed 1Pipe. That's a reason behind that. It's okay dude chill, we understand your feelings.
Can't believe didn't passed 1 pipe and that brings that much impact.
24. serrano989 (Posts: 10; Member since: 02 Apr 2012)
The "bird" was copied as well. Just google Mario fish.
2. rodneyej1 (Posts: 2577; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
That's OK... Just let MS buy FB, they can take care of all the legal issues, and make the game a Lumia exclusive for 6 months... That'll work...
29. Sauce (Posts: 732; Member since: 28 Apr 2013)
Good, I'm sick of feeling bad for WP lack of exclusives, let alone actual apps.
3. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 723; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
He alone put pressure on Nintendo, if the case is true.
27. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 720; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
how did he put pressure on Nintendo it's the other way if that's the case
4. ronenmendez (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Oct 2013)
Nintendo actually said otherwise. Can't post links, but check WSJ.com
18. LordDavon (Posts: 104; Member since: 19 Sep 2011)
Here is a Macrumors that someone sent me. http://www.macrumors.com/2014/
5. ArtSim98 (Posts: 823; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Why is everybody in Vietnam Nguyen? Just like everyone in the Koreas are Kim's.
9. Planterz (Posts: 151; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Nguyen (and Ng) is the Smith or Jones of English speaking countries, or the Silva of Brazil. It's merely an extremely common surname.
Keep your ignorant racisim to yourself.
12. ArtSim98 (Posts: 823; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I'm not a racist... Was just pointing an interesting fact. And if you watch any sports or news or whatever you see a lot mor Vietnamese Nguyens and Korean Kims than English Joneses or Smiths. So yeah
13. phonetekmek (Posts: 37; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Where was the racism? He probably should've said why are there so many Nguyen instead of saying everybody, but I didn't here any racism.
15. pookiewood (Posts: 462; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Why is every black person in the US named Williams or Johnson? I'm black BTW. Am I racist?
17. 14545 (Posts: 975; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
This is what pisses me off. You can't saying anymore without someone taking offense to it. Thanks for the response, it was needed with what planterz said.
32. hurrycanger (Posts: 417; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
It goes back to the time when there were still Kings (or Emperor, Lord, whatever it's called). The Nguyen dynasty took over, then many people changed their last name to Nguyen to protect themselves from being assumed as "enemy" or "potential enemy". You know, it's better to appear friendly to the big boy, or else you may be bullied.
Back when I was in high school (in the US), there were some testing rooms in which everyone was Nguyen, lol.
6. androiphone20 (Posts: 943; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
Yea, I'd agree on the Mario pipes but I wish they come to some sort of agreement.
8. palmguy (Posts: 135; Member since: 22 Mar 2011)
I was just getting into the game. I have it on my HP TouchPad/Android tablet, but I'm returning my basic black Moto X to get the ebony wood back. So no more Flappy Bird on my phone. Oh well, back to the old school Angry Birds. :)
16. phonetekmek (Posts: 37; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Touchpad! I remember that! Lol I miss webOS...
34. palmguy (Posts: 135; Member since: 22 Mar 2011)
Yep. TouchPad. And while waiting on the Moto maker to make and ship my phone I'm rocking the original Palm Pre on Sprint.
22. buccob (Posts: 964; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
How those this guy get in legal trouble for green 8-bits pipes? when there are hundreds of super mario bros clones out there?
Just because he got successful?
Also does nintendo have some sort of trademark for those types of pipes? this feels like the "Candy" registration from CCS game....
We should protest and develop hundreds of apps that show Mario style pipes across the interface...
30. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 451; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
That awkward moment when my local newspaper is faster than PhoneArena...
33. Blazers (Posts: 139; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I actually think that Nintendos first mobile game (whenever it comes out) will look similar to this with simple gameplay. In fact, they're probably asking themselves why they didn't think of this first.
35. cschconvoy (Posts: 1; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
my 14 year old got to a score of 166 and everyone was "wow" no way. I just don't get what the big deal is of this game. Guess I'm too old.