First smartphone using MediaTek's true octa-core processor is announced
0. phoneArena 18 Oct 2013, 14:40 posted on
Chinese manufacturer UMI has introduced the UMI X2S. What makes this an important handset is that it is the first smartphone to be powered by the world's first true octa-core processor, the MT6592. Produced by MediaTek, the chip can access all 8 cores at one time; this is in comparison to the Samsung Exynos 5 octa-core processor which uses the big.LITTLE architecture and can only have one group of four cores active at a time...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
7. -Shadow- (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
More like galaxy S3 mini , It has bigger bezels than S4
30. joey_sfb (Posts: 5311; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Chinese Android phone manufacturer has been using Samsung design for their larger screen phone and Apple design for their mini for years.
There nothing both could do about China home market, these companies has better relationship with their own government for example Apple paying them iPad trademark instead of the usual Apple making all the demand.
As a consumer I prefer open competition without the hindrance of patent and trademark.
38. Topcat488 (Posts: 1393; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
looks like the S3 mini. How the first S3 should have been running.
18. jellmoo (Posts: 1480; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
That's what he said, like the Galaxy S4. ;)
33. jellmoo (Posts: 1480; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Relax dude, it's just a small joke. (Hence the ;) )
17. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
That's about 4 more A9's then necessary
19. IliyaBeshkov (Posts: 261; Member since: 09 Jul 2012)
actually it's A7 octa core, not A9...
21. Birds (Posts: 1154; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
If it was A9s you could fry bacon on the back of that phone...
40. taikucing (unregistered)
In China, people don't give a flying f_ck to patents.
4. hmd74 (Posts: 476; Member since: 31 Jan 2013)
octa core with 25000 score on antutu...
Hey! you need innovation. not octa core cpu...
5. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
its only a cortex a7 plus its true octa so it still is innovation, go tell apple to show innovation
20. rd_nest (Posts: 1589; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Nope. I don't like Apple at all, but this is farce.
There is absolutely no logic to use 8 cores simultaneously. None at all. Whoever can prove that there is a single workload in Android that runs 8 different threads, I will salute him. Apple still knows one thing is that single core performance is much better than smaller multi core system. Overeall user experience will be dependent on per core IPC.
This SOC is a useless peice of technology. It's completely useless compared to a dual core A7 or dual core A15 SOC.
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10431; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'll gladly take a Apple's A7 over this weak A7. ;)
13. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Only the US and a few other countries don't use the bands for these phones. You can use it in the US but all you get is edge.
23. techaman (unregistered)
because america sucks when it comes to mobile data infrastructure and apple would say hey obama stop this and jump there nuts saying thats mine we made that first i will ban it and take all your money. and then release it net year on iphone 6s lol
10. Diazene (Posts: 129; Member since: 01 May 2013)
sony made lens?
or do you mean, a sony Exmor R sensor?
11. Sondae (Posts: 277; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
I cant wait to see the pros and cons of this octa core of mediatek. I feel that this will be put on every re-branded phone here in Asia.
22. JMartin22 (Posts: 1891; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
This CPU is kind of trash. They paid several old, outdated A7 architecture chips; which isn't good for performance or power efficiency; Most applications only read 2 CPU cores, so a high-quality quad core would perform much better in real life usage and even benchmarks than this.
26. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10431; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Like Apple's A7 chip. That chip ranks supreme on per core performance.
29. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Don't know what you mean about arm a7 chips be battery hungry
31. JMartin22 (Posts: 1891; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
There are more advanced chips that have power efficiency and output. Why would you want your high-end phone running technology from 3 years ago?
41. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
It's funny spec heads like you forget about the lower end of the market but probably have bragged about android's success because of low end. You probably don't even know or heard of price per performance ratio. Too many mid range phones still use the S4 that was in the S3. It's time for a change of pace in the midrange section.
27. xfire99 (Posts: 789; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Own few china brand devices and never again. Its cheap but all are crap. Bad quality build, software is crap and from now on. I stick with known brands!
32. orca99 (Posts: 87; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
You get what you pay for (except Nexus brands by Google).
35. Nayabandaa (Posts: 29; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
@xfire : You haven't deen Gionee's phones i assume. Its phone are not only cheaper to the comptetion but carry great build quality and awesome user experience too. Check it's Elife series for yourself. Bigs are the best no doubt but that doesn't mean everyone else especially chinese companies is useless. They may are not the best but atleast they justify the price they charge for them. As for markets, this companies aim to cater developing countries like India and China only where there is no thing like carrier contracts exist and one has to pay full amount in order to buy phone and for branded flagships.. the amount which has been nothing but huuge. Not everyone got that kind of money friends. ZTE ,UMI, Gionee, Xiomi, Micromax are in scene for good only. Its only good for customers as can be easily seen by the recent price cuts, the various schemes, and even some launches many big brands have made to lure the cutting out sections because of chinese companies.
36. Nayabandaa (Posts: 29; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Sorry for spells and dome grammar mistakes.
39. drizzypat (Posts: 3; Member since: 18 Oct 2013)
umi just have d habit of imitating the galaxy line.mediatek is quite a good chip..i had a chance to use one of their powered device(iocean x7 elite).bt am curious can the mali 450 of dis device outshine power vr on s4