First sample picture taken with Sony Honami leaks out, confirms 20MP shooter
0. phoneArena 11 Aug 2013, 13:34 posted on
One of the most eagerly awaited handsets of the year is the Sony i1 Honami; this model is supposed to inaugurate a new line of camera-centric phones from the Japanese OEM that will allow Sony to compete with models like the Nokia Lumia 1020 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom. Meanwhile, a photo that was published in the Google+ account of one Taylor Li is alleged to be the first published photo from the Honami...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mariosuneo4 (banned) (Posts: 75; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
still waiting for official camera samples
sony make it slimmer.....
18. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Can't wait to get this phone and of course can't wait to use it.
30. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
downloaded this picture and compared to some pictures i took from my canon t3i. after properly zooming equally on both, the picture from honami was pretty impressive, not as much noise, specially comparing to other phone cameras. and the picture has smaller pixels than canon so i suppose picture was taken at 20mp for sure. plus its 5mb!
all in all, this camera is great.
2. ianbbaa (Posts: 305; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
F2,0 nice, hopefully it will produce images as they will promote. In real life, sony never had output like they put in advertisement.
Shooting a pic of GARMIN??? Shame they dropped ANT+ support, if they had just a 1 "rough" sporty device i might consider to buy. 2011 line of SE might be perfect if it had a better camera and a bit more RAM.
Other way, all my friends that had ARCs sold them because of rubbish update of ICS - a lot of things did not worked like wifi, wifi tether etc...so is my last and final experience with SE NEO as well.
Luckily, for my needs of ANT+ - SUUNTO USB ministick, works out of the box on every SAMM device via OTG - a bit of uncomfortable via OTG cable but works fine - stock, unrroted. Good luck SONY, i wont be yours again as a lot of my friends live the same story, complain about heating, crappy cam on Z, T etc...your buggy JB on S - your 2012 flagship, brought my friend to throw it on the wall.
SONY is happy to work with XDA/AOSP cause there you can find ROM that solve official bugs offcial firmwares.
3. Atlas (Posts: 158; Member since: 15 Apr 2012)
It looks crisp and better than the other Xperias.
7. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
On its own, yes the pic looks crisp and better than other Xperias have taken. But nothing helps to separate the wheat from the chaff like a comparison. Then there is an apples-to-apples check of the Sony camera vs cameras from Tom, Dick and Harry.
22. kobainez (Posts: 429; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Not only xperia. It's better than any android smartphone on the market
4. Commentator (Posts: 3692; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
5 inch Triluminous HD, Snapdragon 800 @ 2.2 ghz... I'm not sure why this is billed as a "camera-centric phone" made to compete with the Zoom and 1020. It looks more like a phone made to compete with every single flagship on the market.
6. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2114; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Hoping this wouldn't have on screen keys
43. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2114; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
I was talking about the main keys not the keyboard. Like, the GS4 and the One has it, too.
8. papss (unregistered)
We will see if they can pull off a gem of a screen and support after its out
9. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1429; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Sonny and support dont go together, 4.3 is out, samsung is rolling it out on their flagships and note 3 is expected to come ALSO in september with 4.3, and sony brings a phone in september with 4.2.2.? That just shows the bad future of support that sony's flagships get.
16. TMach (Posts: 457; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Delusional much? Google Play Editions are just getting 4.3 which by the way is hardly differentiable from 4.2.2. Sony has already announced its list of phones getting 4.3 and is determined to do better. I have not read any reports of Samsung or any other OEM rolling out 4.3 to any of their phones. Oh and by the way, there have already been reports of 4.3 being buggy. Don't like don't buy but don't push out unwarranted criticism of Sony. By the way, I am using a HTC One and waiting for a GPE S4, can't stand TouchWiz which is unnecessary bloatware with a lot of unnecessary features!
44. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 2114; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Well, keeping the software updated is a challenge for them. You always seem to look at the bad side of Sony. Look on the bright side. You have your preferences when it comes to Android.
10. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Triluminos display is the best thing Sony could bring
look at this:http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_x
see how ZU crushes One's display.
i thought PA will show this one but as always they have no interest in Sony and they never talk about its perfect aspects...
11. Akfred (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Don't mind PA my brother. Sony has actually improved the
ZU screen and the camera, but PA will not want to bring in such
Article here. Haters gonna hate
12. papss (unregistered)
Lets hope they don't drop the ball again. It's been done many times so I hope they make a flagship that is equal or better this time. I'm pretty excited to see it in the flesh though. Love Sony's design language With the sharp corners.
15. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Yup Sony hyped the xperia Zs camera and it ended up being one of the worst 13MP cameras in smartphones because their poor software.
19. rgxVOiD (Posts: 440; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Lets hope that Sony will bring some of Honami's camera software to XZ
23. amansingal14 (Posts: 309; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Agreed about the camera on the Z. However, honami might have a better camera due to new software algorithms.
31. anleoflippy (Posts: 595; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Their recent updates did improve the camera quality which is a lot better than the first firmware.
13. papss (unregistered)
Without a proper review I'm not sure i would use "crush". From the pics it does look more vibrant but again it's not a real comparison.
33. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
i wouldnt say sony crushes HTC One but it does do little better job with contrast.
36. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
The best thing about Triluminos display is colour gamut and according to MIT Technology Review, a Triluminos display boasts a color gamut that is 50 percent larger than that of a conventional LCD panel, in other word Triluminos display will give you much more better viewing experience.
34. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
In that comparison maybe what Sony claims that Triluminos display have wider colour gamut is true.
i also hope that Sony will use WhiteMagic display + floating touch for mid-range phone and Triluminos display + floating touch/Z ultra screen tech for flagship.
Or maybe Sony will start to use JDI OLED wich also use Sony WhiteMagic screen tech.
21. Lyngdoh (Posts: 264; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
At 4.8 MB, that picture is huge. This means less compression.
24. skyline88 (Posts: 458; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
cant wait to get smoke by Lumia 1020 and S4 Zoom
25. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
That photo sample isn't very impressive, but I'll grant it's a shallow shot and not much to refer to. Megapixels aren't everything, and Sony needs to make sure to follow through on support for this and their current phones. They make some good camera-only cameras, and their optics are excellent - as shown on certain prior Sony phones and the iphone5 - but there always seems to be something missing, some elusive element they don't get or don't include.
27. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Yeah megapixels aren’t everything but more pixels means you can enlarge, zoom in and crop your photos without losing detail.
So in addition to image quality, more pixels is a good thing and very useful to have.
38. Igneel (Posts: 19; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
As long as the result is good, then why not?
28. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
The laws of physics don't allow you to pair a large sensor and thin body with a small "flange to focal" distance. This is the reason Nokia's 808 is is 14mm thick and the iphone 5 is 7.6mm.
35. james004 (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 May 2013)
"The laws of physics .." wow.
geez thought this comment section couldnt get more dumber. what are you? a 1st year dropout?
37. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Physics (as defined in the Oxford Dictionary) -
noun [treated as singular]
- the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy. The subject matter of physics includes mechanics, heat, light and other radiation, sound, electricity, magnetism, and the structure of atoms.
- the physical properties and phenomena of something:the physics of plasmas
39. Lyngdoh (Posts: 264; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
Your so called 'laws of physics' has expired when sony introduced Cybershot RX-1. A compact camera with full frame sensor and DSLR picture quality when other companies failed to do it! BTW Lumia 1020 have a 1/1.6 sensor on 10.4 mm body Sony can definately put a 1/2.3 on a slimmer body without any doubt. After all they are camera specialist!
29. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Powerful chipset, great camera, great display, stereo speakers with Walkman audio chip, premium materials, dust, water and shockproof.
As well as this time Sony has been one of the fastest companies issuing updates, and fixes.
All of it, is a very solid reason why Honami is the strongest candidate to be the best phone of 2013.
but like it or not for now G2 is the best phone in the world.
41. shuaibhere (Posts: 1986; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
lol...sony is fast in issuing updates????
you made my day...
42. kobainez (Posts: 429; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Lol samsung troll. havent u see that sony is very good at update recently? Stop talking BS if u know nothing