Features smartphone makers brag with, and their Android alternatives
0. phoneArena 26 Oct 2012, 09:39 posted on
There are tons of things that major smartphone makers try to attract a consumer's attention with. That process usually involves quite a lot of bragging: how gynormous of a screen the company's product has, how incredibly long its battery will last on a single charge, how astonishingly good are the photos that it takes, among other hyperbole-rich statements. In addition, often there are exclusive apps and features bundled, which is another trick for manufacturers to make a buyer pick their smartphone instead of the competitor's offering. Some of these apps and features are just useless gimmicks, but others can be quite useful...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Fast Burst apps were like born in Gingerbread-era
*though low-res, it's good enough for Jump Shots :p.
2. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3915; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
"Flip to mute" feature came long back with Symbian 60v5.
3. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
wikitude was very good in BlackBerry!
4. frydaexiii (Posts: 1459; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Notice how the iPhone doesn't even have any software innovations to tout as their own?
Both Android and WP manufacturers have come up with their own things to make their individual platform unique...
14. mrcook (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
and yet Samsung got sued BIG time for stealing BOOYA :D
17. frydaexiii (Posts: 1459; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yeah, and Tim Cook also called the Surface/Windows 8 a mess and that 7.9 inch isn't counted as a 7 inch tablet...
Clearly logic isn't working right in Apple town...
46. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
And Apple went on knees in front of Samsung in UK ... Troll is winning only backhome in courts.
49. jroc74 (Posts: 6014; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Well......one thing Samsung got accused of stealing just got invalidated by the USPTO....
that bounce back feature .....you know that feature that made me choose a Galaxy S over the iPhone... :/
Expect that 1 billion settlement to get smaller....
6. FranksGT (Posts: 167; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Thats because its a Iphone bro.
And I love the BurstShot, good for Jump shots or catching someone FAIL.
11. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Aren't open source platforms great? I love it.
12. The_Innovation (Posts: 610; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
I don't see this pop up play feature on my Galaxy Nexus.
18. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
you can download the app "super video" does the same thing and more
40. The_Innovation (Posts: 610; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Is that one the best? Because I got Popcorn Player.
19. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
now list the iphone special features.....none
33. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1718; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
It features iLost, it shows where you are in another dimension even though Google Maps worked perfectly before.
20. blade19 (Posts: 61; Member since: 29 Apr 2011)
Smartactions can do reminders based on location as well. Use it on my Razr Maxx. But, these other apps look interesting as well. I think I may give them a spin. Thanks PA!
24. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
so what so called innovations did the SGSIII brought to the table?...
26. frydaexiii (Posts: 1459; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Oh yeah, Lift phone to call and Palm Swipe screen capture, as well as the first phone to have a 8MP zero shutter lag camera (Officially of cause, excluding custom ROMs for other phones with 8MP cams)
27. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
you lost on me on Smart play and Popup Play... on the camera lag let me use it before I believe it..( it would be nice if itis true)
29. frydaexiii (Posts: 1459; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Oh yeah? How so? I haven't seen it being used on any phone before the S3. As for Zero shutter lag, do you think Samsung would blatantly lie like Apple does? Or would the hundreds of reviews be lying about it too?
37. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
all companies lie to sell their products don't be naive to think Samsung is any different..
34. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
... You're joking, right? The first 2 you listed are in the article and can be easily replaced. S Beam is just Android Beam. And didn't the One X advertise as having zero shutter lag? I could be wrong
38. frydaexiii (Posts: 1459; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
God do you even read? He asked what innovations did the SGS3 bring. All the alternate apps that can replicate these functions only came out after the SGS3. S Beam is a combination of Android Beam and WiFi Direct, you can't transfer music and big files with Android Beam.