Father of Linux gives Google Nexus 7 a thumbs up, OEM Android skins a thumbs down
0. phoneArena 21 Jul 2012, 11:40 posted on
Linus Torvalds, as you might know, is the father of Linux which is the bottom building block for Android and has an opinion on the new ASUS built Google Nexus 7; Torvalds also has an interesting take on OEM skinning of the Android OS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
rear facing cameras on tablets is just moronic. there is no need for them at all.
you can actually find pictures online of people taking self shots with tablets. it makes me LOL.
5. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
there is a new facebook game called duck hunt. here are the rules.
1. find random girl in your friends list.
2. look through said girls pictures.
3. find stupid looking duck face.
4. comment by saying bang!
11. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Actually, because the girls that do the duck face have such high opinions of themselves, they'll think you're being a pervert. Lol.
25. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1705; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Thats stupid. "Bang?" Why not say "quack" or something. Bang makes no sense I doubt these girls will get the reference
26. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
its called duck hunt. and guns dont go quack. they go bang!
30. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1705; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
I KNOW, I get the reference i'm saying they wont. You can still hunt ducks without shooting them...kinda like wheres waldo but with duck faces
36. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
i wish i still had my 240sx or my second gen rx7. :(
8. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I like to have options like having a camera. I don't use it often, but it's still a good feature to have. I also sync all my photos to Google+, so I can have all my pics together.
10. ph00ny (Posts: 820; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It actually comes in handy when there is one.
It's the same concept as cell phones. Convenience.
I've used it quite frequently and it's honestly not that bad.
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 17006; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No it's choice, isn't that what googles about?
2. ph00ny (Posts: 820; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I have to disagree on OEM customization. As long as there are legitimate optimization being applied to the OS, i couldn't careless. There are always various launchers to choose from
9. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I just wish they'd give an option in the settings whether to use stock or not. That'd complete Android.
3. jroc74 (Posts: 5646; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Interesting comments about the custom UI's...
Back in 2010, Sense UI was the smoothest Android experience on the market.
The custom UI's have features... useful features.....that stock Android didnt have and might still not have.
The new version of Blur on GB held its own against stock ICS for speed, smoothness.
Stock Android has taken elements from Sense UI, Blur, Touchwiz, dont know about any other UI. So the custom UI's cant be too bad.
6. DroogV59 (Posts: 37; Member since: 02 Jun 2011)
That`s right, the best OEM innovations inevitably find their way onto stock Android....at which point users drool (usually after first dissing the respective skins).
16. jroc74 (Posts: 5646; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Hey I can resize widgets!!
Hey I have the Android market as a static icon in the app drawer!!
Hey I can do mores stuff from the lock screen!!!
All on custom UI's before stock Android. And accessing the pull down shade from the lock screen.....had to use apps from the market before ICS.
The custom UI's really dont get enough credit.
12. ph00ny (Posts: 820; Member since: 26 May 2011)
TW on S2 was where GB devices started to shine in speed because Samsung baked in a lot of hardware acceleration in various places including web browser and ui
15. jroc74 (Posts: 5646; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Exactly.....a custom UI used hardware acceleration in areas of the UI. Android really didnt start doing that til Honeycomb? Or ICS?
24. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
the stock-android diehards usually can't handle that fact. Usually bringing up such things is met with a level of cognitive dissonance most people would find hard to believe....
7. akbar (Posts: 62; Member since: 09 Feb 2012)
"those who use tablets to take pictures look like "a complete dork"."
Finally somebody said it. I still don't understand how people can even think to point tablet to make a picture?
14. DroogV59 (Posts: 37; Member since: 02 Jun 2011)
Linus Torvalds doesn`t need to take a pic with a tablet to look like a complete dork. There I said it.
A rear facing camera is handy, if only to provide app compatibility. Even a cheapo 3 MP snapper would do the trick.
17. crankyd00d (Posts: 191; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
And that's why your opinion is worth...absolutely nothing. Come back with the same comment the day you have done the %1 he's done for tech. There I said it :)
18. DroogV59 (Posts: 37; Member since: 02 Jun 2011)
My my look whose cranky. I was commenting on his looks (which is something HE started), not his contributions to technology.
21. jroc74 (Posts: 5646; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Ok....and whats your opinion worth.....
An opinion is an opinion. Thats all. If thats the case....everyone in this article needs to come back when they have done more for the tech industry.
I also dont fully agree with Tovalds opinions in the article.
19. downphoenix (Posts: 2878; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
True, him calling someone a dork is like Romney calling someone a hypocrite. He is the godfather of Linux, the man who made the dork's choice in operating systems happen. Also dissing the OEMs is counteractive to his philosophies with Linux, which was to make an open source platform that can be manipulated by hobbyists and organizations alike for their purposes. Which is what the OEMs are doing in the case of android. And android itself is an example of this as its based on Linux.
23. jroc74 (Posts: 5646; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"Also dissing the OEMs is counteractive to his philosophies with Linux, which was to make an open source platform that can be manipulated by hobbyists and organizations alike for their purposes. Which is what the OEMs are doing in the case of android."
See....this is what makes me scratch my head at Tovalds comments. And since there are stock Android devices out there....ppl have a choice of what they want. Stock or custom UI.
Sorry....but Torvalds sounds like a stock Android fanboy. Its his opinion....he's welcome to it....but he does. He makes it like custom UI's have no pros, all cons and offer nothing vs stock Android.
22. kanagadeepan (Posts: 806; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Custom UIs are NOT bad till GB... But after using ICS, I love stock UI very much...
28. Beholder88 (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I agree with Linus in part. It all depends on what you want to use your tablet/phone for in the first place. Some people could be perfectly happy with a stock Android system and none of the extras thrown in there by the OEM GUI's. Others like the available options and customization done by the OEM's. For me, I would rather have performance available when I want it, and not have a bunch of crap sucking up my memory and CPU. My RAZR does alright, still rooted it to get the bloatware taken care of and with ICS, it's been just fine.
29. jimjam (Posts: 253; Member since: 28 Jun 2011)
everyone these days looks like a dork. Put away your phones and tablets in restaurants, at the movies, in the mall, while driving etc etc.
32. Evil_SaNz (Posts: 259; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
You want a rear facing camera? It's handy? Then pay 100$ more and ignore the camera you already have on the phone (too easy to handle, let's all use trucks to make photos).
33. wendygarett (unregistered)
Yep... Complete dork... But sometimes, rear facing camera can be handy when it is emergency... Idk what emergency is but it still useful sometimes... Different android skin show the beauty of android, choice!!! That's why I won't thumb down if I were you..
34. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Dear Jesus, you are a female version of gallito, it all makes sense now.
Edit: Haha sense!!! Puns are so much sweeter when its not intended!
35. AeroPrime (Posts: 174; Member since: 21 Feb 2011)
I agree with him when he said taking pictures with a tablet look like a "complete dork". I saw kids doing that and its nonsense.
37. Jimstar (Posts: 259; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
wait a minute he likes the Nexus 7? I thought he hated Nvidia's guts! Why would he like something with one of their chips?