Facebook phone back from the dead?
0. phoneArena 02 Nov 2012, 11:39 posted on
Leaked information shows that the Facebook phone is real, and HTC is building it (and has run benchmarks on it), although it's still uncertain when it will launch...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Go facebook! I might buy this! Sounds like a cool idea!
2. Topcat488 (Posts: 1173; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Well even though HTC produced the Nexus One years ago... this is still a Facebook Phone, which means you might get a lot of "LIKES" in your emails, but what about the updates, like with a google phone.
41. Commentator (Posts: 2494; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Nothing like an upvote/downvote system to galvanize and reaffirm the masses of their obvious inherent superiority to those they see as different. Now we know who the really worthless turds with really worthless opinions are! Bravo to PhoneArena, and all its readers! Power to they majority, no matter the cost!
30. someones4 (Posts: 619; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
You must really love facebook to buy this. Can't your regular phone do all of this?
37. aaronkatrini (Posts: 239; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
I just came to see how many thumbs down have been made... wow 46! and no thumbs up. I guess i'm thumbing up this little guy... hey he seems excited about the facebook phone and wants to buy it... so what.. people still buy iphones these days XD
3. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Its going to look like crap just like the first two.
5. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
I don't want to see more people sharing stupid stuff , posting chain links and cam whores. I like fb, but a Facebook phone is just ridiculous . At least it runs android...
6. nicholassss (Posts: 358; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Maybe it'll be like the kindle fire, a cheap piece of tech thats worthwhile when you strip away the facebook-ness.
7. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1383; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
This is the problem with HTC ...they invest too much on fail projects and stuff that will please the service provider ...what next? Twitter pager?
8. daddysbeenabadgirl (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
The facebook phone is the iPhone because that's all the sheep use it for.
10. ohiwastedmylife (Posts: 17; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
ARE YOU TELLING ME ZUCK WENT ON STAGE AND LIED TO THE PUBLIC? On stage at SF Disrupt he said "The phone just doesn't make any sense". What a good guy.
11. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Lol why did I get so many dislikes on my first comment?
16. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 867; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Cause its a stupid concept. Its esentially a low spec phone with nothing to show for it. If they really wanted to impress people and make something worth while they should build their own OS along with it that would truly incorporate facebook. Such as full flash support and making the games in facebook available for mobil. Then you could include a facbook gamecenter as well.
This is just a half assed attempt at making more money which is what is pissing people off to leave facebook more and more everyday.
21. cdgoin (Posts: 370; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
They could just invest in flash support for jelly bean, and make it only work on thier version of android. Kind of like Amazon/Kindle
28. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
The Kindle does not have flash support. I had to side load it to my Kindle Fire HD.
27. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
As a company Facebook produces nothing hence its stock is onlt $21.18 -0.03 (-0.14%). The phone would provide some type of revenue stream besides their reliance on plugs. The sales of this so called phone would be interesting to see if it moves being that iOS and androidOS are the dominant forces. Phone wise, the specs are respectable armchair analyst. Yes child you are a armchair analyst.
As for, "This is just a half assed attempt at making more money which is what is pissing people off to leave facebook more and more everyday." I don't see that, what I see are the same amount of people using it like drones everyday. If users were bleeding as you stated, the financial reports/media would blitz this.
I could never understand why people would waste their time on social mdia vesus good ol' fashioned mouth to mouth conversations. What is equally perplexing are people that are wanna be armchair tech/politicol/soldier/doctor and such.
38. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 867; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I suppose you were standing while you wrote that cause that would be the only difference between what you and I wrote. Better to be a "armchair tech/politicol/soldier/doctor and such" then a hypocrite. Yes grandma, you are a hypocrite.
My major point was that using a modified Android OS doesn't set it apart. Instead they should focus on their own from the ground up more centered on Facebook itself.
Next time you criticize someone for writing on a forum, don't do it on a forum or you mine as well sign up for Facebook to complain about Facebook.
12. cdgoin (Posts: 370; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
Hmm.. If they subsidise it with ads, and give it for free at every carrier. Or better yet have their own cheaper "ad supported" phone system, it might work. But it won't work if its just another phone for $99 and a 2 year commitment to
29. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
lol...ofcourse...maybe in US no one uses fb but US is not the world!
20. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
i hope this phone exists. then facebook might make a better android app
22. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
lol android?! not Windows Phone? will microsoft going to be happy?
the facebook app center are all HTML5 right? so i think this will be good ecosystem!
23. psysect (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
good idea needs to a big design only by HTC.
24. mydi.maus (unregistered)
face book having its own PHONE?well mark you can name it "phonebook"!
31. ffee344 (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
This phone is for fb attention seeking. plus it sure will have alot of markerting spyware to invade whatever you do with the phone . ABSOLUTE ZERO PRIVACY
32. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You think our tenology now provides a measure of privacy? Think again....
36. ffee344 (Posts: 2; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
you think our technology now DO NOT provide a measure of privacy? Think again ....
33. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
There are chances that this phone may follow the footsteps of kindle fire and current nexus family in terms of pricing to lure some users. If facebook is keen on making profit directly by selling this phone then its not going to fare any better than the htc phones with facebook buttons.
35. JussSaynMayn (Posts: 6; Member since: 01 Nov 2012)
If facebook had release this phone when they had just launched the site & everyone was rushing to it, it would have done well. No one cares about Facebook any more, or any site specific phones. This is a waste of time & money.
39. thephonedude (Posts: 60; Member since: 27 Oct 2012)
if this phone has a 1.2 GHZ Quad core processor, or a 1.2 GHZ Dual Core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor under the hood, I may consider.
42. GoBears (Posts: 384; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Wow HTC+Facebook? Not even sure which one I dislike more. No thank you. This is one device that should NOT come back from the dead. It should stay dead for eternity and take facebook with it lol.