FaceTime does not work over 4G on the new iPad
0. phoneArena 15 Mar 2012, 03:57 posted on
Although the new iPad has a blazing fast 4G LTE radio, FaceTime will not work over 4G, as a test has now confirmed. The feature remains Wi-Fi-only for now...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
And why am I not surprised? What's the point of 4G then?
15. c.hack (Posts: 595; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
You shouldn't be susprised because Facetime has always been solely a wifi service. It was never advertised to work over cellular data. Skype works great for that.
Facetime works great with wifi iPods and iPads though. Its higher quality and has less drops than skype.
Its great to have all the choices on the #1 tablet, and still get OS updates on the day they come out.
19. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
iPad is not a tablet, it's a giant iPod. Tablets can actually do more than play dumb games and watch videos which the iPad only seem to be able to do.
22. simplyj (Posts: 404; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
You could say the same thing about Android as well.
You're an idiot. You can do the same thing on iOS and Android.
23. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
no you cant...otherwise people wouldnt argue that Android is better than IOS or visa versa...
you sir are the idiot
Android has operating specific functions and apps that IOS or Winphone cannot do
25. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i wouldnt worry about it… i would say there will be a jailbreak app quite soon for anyone that has a problem with it… but i have never video chatted with my phone and i doubt too many people do on a regular basis… i think apple still couldve left the option though
2. B3BLW29 (Posts: 238; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Ohh all the Baristas are gona be might pissed now...
4. paulyyd (Posts: 337; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)
Lol this restriction is imposed by the carrier not apple, let's not be retards about this
6. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
I think you're the only retard here, even we fandroids know this was imposed by Apple so iFans don't exceed their monthly data limit and put the blame on them later...
7. rf1975 (Posts: 254; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Hey guys just use TANGO. It is better than face time & will work with 3G.
8. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
thats not true in the least. every other mobile OS that has video chat can do it over 3g and 4g. ONLY apple forces you to use wifi. so.. lets see.... oh yea, thats an apple restriction.
21. shimmyx20 (Posts: 280; Member since: 03 Mar 2009)
You can still use any of the other video chat services like Skype through 3G or 4G on the Apple products.
13. DanMarino13 (Posts: 63; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
this post is stupid X2, first off, you are dead wrong. second off, you said "let's not be retards about this" and your posting name is paulyyd, who is not only on jersey shore, but is the most retarded one on there.
14. kcombs (Posts: 275; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
at&t and Verizon does not have access to the software on the device, so this is Apple's doing. My LTE galaxy note lets me use video chat over LTE not Wi-Fi only. (stock video chat too)
5. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
WTF ? Although I am an apple fanboy I disagree with this move ! Guess I will have to jailbreak
9. artman5x5 (Posts: 10; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Mine works... Oh yeah I am on Android...Ha Ha Ha!!!!
17. c.hack (Posts: 595; Member since: 09 Dec 2009)
Glad to hear you got facetime working on your droid. Still running froyo?
18. frydaexiii (Posts: 1420; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Awesome thing eh? Even froyo/Android 2.2 allows you to video call with 3G while iOS 5.1, the latest doesn't...
10. rwolf1984 (Posts: 525; Member since: 06 Jun 2009)
4G unrestricter...Coming soon to a Cydia Store near You.
20. downphoenix (Posts: 2971; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
its a restriction imposed by Apple, but given the restrictive data caps of carriers, I can understand why they did it at least. No point it having LTE if you can burn your data cap off in less than a day.
26. roscuthiii (Posts: 2004; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Not everyone has data limits. Some of us are lucky enough to be grandfathered into unlimited data. Others have the disposable income to pay for the overages, although in this economy that is probably a low, low number, and this is the important one here, there are those of us responsible responsible enough to conduct ourselves without needing our hands held.
Just more Apple and their, "You're holding it wrong," mentality.
24. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
what?! my apple religion forces me to use WIFI?! how dare the almighty Apple force such things
27. frommy728 (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
To settle an argument here... As a Verizon employee who sells android and apple, both have their benefits..... unfortunately, for the majority of us out there that arent tech savvy and/or have been apple followers since ipods and the first iphone operating system arrived, android is much easier with its plug and play features and basic functionality! Apple has their way of being meticulous, having a certain way of doing everything considered a "feature" in their phone, versus android which allows more customizing and open learning.
But this Apple move of still wifi only on LTE is ridiculous... thats the purpose of LTE, to half rid wifi and provide speeds faster than most wifi networks, yet they still hold people back! Bad market move on thier part, get with the program.... thats why theres a 3:1 ratio of android to iphones out there!