Exynos-based Samsung Galaxy S 4 to come with PowerVR SGX 544 graphics?
0. phoneArena posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:27
The Samsung Exynos 5 Octa chip is widely expected to be used in the international Galaxy S 4, and unlike all previous Exynos chips where it used ARM’s Mali GPU…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. TROLL posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:32 1 6
Come on Samsung this is outdated, bring on the beast " SGX554 4GPU"
The one used in iPad4™®©
9. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:40 1 0
17. neutralguy posted on 13 Mar 2013, 07:03 2 0
I was referring to the iPad 4's GPU which he stated "4 GPU"
18. feres13 posted on 13 Mar 2013, 07:04 0 0
A 544MP4 would be overkill, the 544MP3 is pushing 2 Million pixels, while the 544MP4 on the iPad is pushing 3.1 million pixels, so it should be the same.
24. jove39 posted on 13 Mar 2013, 08:40 0 0
SGX554 is not latest from imagetec...series6 is latest. SGX544MP3 @533mhz would do just fine...I guess reason for not using 554MP4 or series6 is scarce die area.
2. imsickwithsmartphone posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:32 5 0
PowerVR much more competitive compare to Mali gpu...g
6. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:36 1 2
Some websites say the new version of MALI is not ready , but still 544 series is a bit slow , somewhere in the level of the A6X
15. TylerGrunter posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:59 1 0
The A6X has the FASTEST GPU in the mobile market, so I don't know how you can call it "a bit slow".
And saddly not, it won't be that powerfull, the one in the Exynos Octa GPU is supposed to be somewhere between the A5X (32 GFLOPs) and the A6X (70 GFLOPs).
With around 50 GFLOPs it will be in the range of the Adreno 320 and the Mali T604.
10. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:40 1 1
Another reason to wait for the Note 3....theyre saving the best for last
21. TylerGrunter posted on 13 Mar 2013, 07:09 4 1
That's coming from someone that knows little about GPUs...
The Mali T658 is the old model and too heavy for smartphones. It does not support OpenGL 3.0.
They should ahve used the Mali T624, that supports it.
But if you just wanted to look like you know what you talk about and go for the biggest one, it's the T678 for a long time now... But that kind of GPU can't be used on a phone with the 28nm due to overheating.
5. sintruder posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:35 0 1
mali gpu or adreno gpu could have been better.This gpu is outdated and does not support open gl es 3.0 which makes the s4 not future proof.
13. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:46 1 0
It's all Marketing - driven I guess, their next flagship which is the Note 3 will feature none of that outdated stuff for sure, making S4 users trade / sell their units for a Note 3...they pretty much did that with the S3 - Note 2. I had an S3 and I was pretty much convinced that I needed a Note 2....
Samsung has learned a lot from Apple
7. richardyarrell2011 (banned) posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:37 4 5
I will say the US version of the Galaxy S4 will have the Exynos 5 Octa 5410 processor NOT the Snapdragon 600. Samsung better not allow snapdragon again in it's US bound Galaxy S4. The Galaxy Note 2 has Exynos 4412 so Exynos should be used this time around.
23. davenycept posted on 13 Mar 2013, 07:36 1 0
I would hope you are right. I think it would be a shame for Samsung to have their event in nyc to announce the specs on the US versions would be inferior to the int'l version
11. xperiaDROID posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:41 1 1
Samsung should go for the Adreno or the Mali.
12. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:44 2 0
544MP3 has overall advantage over the 320 Adreno and the T604
22. TylerGrunter posted on 13 Mar 2013, 07:09 1 0
Adreno can't be used and it's Qualcomm customized property, and they don't license it, please!
14. sintruder posted on 13 Mar 2013, 06:51 2 0
so this means s4 will not support open gl 3.0.I'm going with the htc one because it is future proof and the overclocked adreno 320 in the one manages the same g flops as the power vr in the s4 and fully supports open gl 3.0!!!
16. TylerGrunter posted on 13 Mar 2013, 07:03 0 0
Depends where you live, in the USA and UK the S4 and the HTC one will be using the same chip, the Snapdragon 600 ;)
So there you'll have openGL 3.0 too!
19. imkyle posted on 13 Mar 2013, 07:05 0 0
That' still a good GPU. May not be class leading like the Mali, but still a good contender.
25. Taters posted on 13 Mar 2013, 16:01 0 0
No the iPhone 5 uses the 543 with 3 cores and low clock speeds. If the iP5 used this, it would die in 10 minutes with the 1450 mah battery and no power saving cores.
This thing is a beast for a cell phone battery and die area.