Extremely affordable quad-core Micromax A116 Canvas HD arrives, sold out in hours
0. phoneArena 14 Feb 2013, 02:50 posted on
When you hear about a quad-core phone with a large HD screen, you’d probably think about a very expensive top of the line device like say the Samsung Galaxy Note II…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
Now it's back in stockhttp://www.mobalian.in/2013/02
19. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4800; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
I'm not convinced of it having a long term life. The shopping motto "you get what you pay for" still applies here.
21. SuperNexus (Posts: 122; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
you can but new virtue phone. It will cost you 7900 euro.
you get what you pay for" still applies here.
and it has a very long term.
2. kasiphone (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Feb 2013)
Its is micromax top end phone with affordable rate , it seems good , no wonder . no stock board in india .. but looking for overall review and feed back from customers ...
3. wendygarett (unregistered)
Indians are always make their smart choice everyday lol
4. imsickwithsmartphone (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
say hello to indians.....
5. kdealltheway (Posts: 94; Member since: 21 Oct 2012)
" the theoretical performance of the quad-core Canvas HD would be almost on par with a dual-core Snapdragon S4"
9. naveenstuns (Posts: 172; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
It's on par with the performance of galaxy grand which has Dual-core ARM Cortex A9 1.2 GHz processor.
but grand is 7.5k INR more than this :(
10. naveenstuns (Posts: 172; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
I am not completely sure. I am saying from benchmarks of prototype phone.
38. sonofzeus (Posts: 95; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Check out this link about the benchmark comparison
6. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Now finally there is a company in India which does not only stack up money but also provides Quality. Good work Micromax . Now no one will say that India is behind in the Smartphone Quality.
8. asingha94 (Posts: 294; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
atleast indians cannot be brainwashed by any fruits or samdog!
12. dreeemer (Posts: 28; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Will someone explain "mips per mhz"? Cause "quad core canvas HD performance on par south a dual core snapdragon" is throwing me off! Sounds like the new quad core has the power of a dual core. And, why would anyone want that?
14. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
On par with s4 krait?? I believe not . The benchmark scores aren't all that amazing on this phone. Antutu, quadrant and nenamark2 scores are below galaxy grand. You can check it inwww.igyaan.com
But its affordable for someone who isn't bothered by benchmarks and can run even the most graphic intensive games in the store.
16. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Galaxy grand failed on one Benchmark. It costs Rs 8000 more than this which is a big money :)
24. naveenstuns (Posts: 172; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
canvas hd used in that test is prototype
28. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1138; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Cause it says "quad core" on it. That's the trick Mediatek uses, more marketing than actual staff.
DMIPS/MHz is how normally risc processors are measured, it means Dhrystone Millions of instructions per second. DMIPs is how powerful a chip is, DMIPs/MHz gives you how powerful an architecture is not taking into account the clock speed.
But it won't get even near a Tegra3 or Exynos 4412, much less a quad core with Krait cores.
13. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Nexus 4 just got blown away by this bang for the money.
India is an enormous market and Micromax is taking the opportunity .. they will grow huge there!
22. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 354; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Micromax is increasing its Marketshare in India at an Impressive Rate.....
29. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1138; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
darac, Nexus 4 is around TWICE as powerful than than phone, but in GPU and CPU... So nope, it didn't get blown away at all.
There are loads of cheap phones with cheap SoCs, what the Nexus 4 offers is top performance on par with the other flagships for the price of a midranger.
33. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Problem with Nexus4 is no sdcard and non replaceable battery. absence of expansion slot i can live with it but non replaceable battery is a deal breaker for me.
35. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
It's not available for $350 outside of where there are no Play store device seller supports.
36. znellu (Posts: 72; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Really?! Comparing a Mediatek SoC with a Snapdragon SoC. Come On!
15. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
So who will buy Apple Plastics for $300 pre import which means $450 landed which is roughly Rs 24000. Even Samsung Galaxy Grand tough time. The other day i mentioned that in India an ythin g that goes about 12-13 k is considered expensive for a phone and all want the largest screen.
Micromax has greater share than Apple in market and now they hav e entered Television segment also.
18. tmcblog (Posts: 19; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
No wonder it's cheap, it uses the low cost Mediatek CPU. At this price point buyers don't care about the performance. Although some people say the CPU is still below the dual core snapdragon in benchmark, it's still quad cores which means better multitasking.
Anyway, It has IPS display, while the expensive Sony Xperia Z still uses TFT lol...
25. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Here's an interesting comparison of the CPU performances.. turns out mobile chips are no slouches at all
26. abhishekrocks (Posts: 5; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
can phone arena people review it so we can decide better
30. Cyan3boN (Posts: 431; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Now seriously someone gimme a reason to buy a Rs 30k device
32. shobhit (Posts: 13; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
watch the review you will get a whole lot of reasons
34. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Majority of them don't buy looking at specs. My wife wants this and i asked her why and she says because it costs half of galaxy nexus that you bought few months back and has bigger screen ... screen size is becoming the main criteria and price of course :)
31. shuaibhere (Posts: 1711; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
And i had chance to play with canvas 2...with ppi of 195 i have to say it's awesome....
with this sporting 295 ppi i expect more from it...
Unlike some crappy custom UI it runs on stock android...
37. shopguide (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Check Out Specification And Features Of Micromax A110 Superfone Only On Shopguide.in
And See The Specification And Features Of Micromax A116