Ex-Nokia employees start company to produce MeeGo smartphones?
0. phoneArena 07 Jul 2012, 15:29 posted on
According to a new report, the a team of ex-Nokia employees is founding a new company to continue work on MeeGo, and produce new handsets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
This simply AWESOME!
And a slap on Nokia's(more like creepy elop's) face.
3. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
that would be a great development. Given how good the N9 was, i wash shocked nokia didn't give meego a chance to shine. Way to go guys, i'd really love to see what the next generation of meego has in store.
25. DavidS (Posts: 9; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Yup, I wish them best of luck. Too bad I sold my N9. I should've kept it.
39. pathmarkpolice (Posts: 102; Member since: 05 Feb 2009)
The n9 had the same problem as the n900: a lot of potential with flawed execution. I loved the phone...but the OS wasn't optimized for the hardware. It would lag at moments when it shouldn't have (sending text messages, having to wait for the keyboard to match my finger speed). I am going to be interested in seeing what they are able to churn out, but I don't have much hopes for it.
4. Aeires (unregistered)
I hope so, Meego had a fairly good developer base being established, shame to see an OS with so much potential fall by the wayside.
6. rnk.khch (Posts: 86; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
It would be wonderful to see a new player in the game!!! Especially as it is from the heart of Nokia!!! Sad thing is that the OS is linux based!
10. rf1975 (Posts: 232; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
So what is the sad thing if it is linux based. Android also a linux based OS. I do not see any problem.
12. SleepingOz (Posts: 2487; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
That's exactly why he doesn't like Linux based OS!
35. rnk.khch (Posts: 86; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
@ sleepingoz My Linux-based phones include, but are not limited to, an HTC Inspire, a Samsung Galaxy, and a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, as well as my most beloved phone of all time, the Nokia N9. I'm not sure what "that" is, but I am deeply in love with my N9, in particular, and it's smooth and wonderful OS, which is one of a kind and possibly the best according to many reviews!!!
27. rnk.khch (Posts: 86; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
@rf1975 Don't get me wrong. The sad thing is the potentially low rate of success and the misnomer it has been given as the abandoned os or the abandoned child, not the OS itself. Every time I take my N9 out, friends joke with me about this. Competition might be harder in a mobile world dominated by the linux-based android. It may be harder to stand out. Otherwise there is nothing is nothing wrong with the OS. I love my N9 and will always cherish it as a piece of gem.
44. poddey (Posts: 75; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
A lot of people say Nokia should have bet on Android instead of WP. The fact that they, under Elop, didn't bet on their own homegrown Meego/Harmattan OS (developed jointly with Intel) is what I find sad.
58. rnk.khch (Posts: 86; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
That's definitely true and very sad. If Nokia had heavily invested on Meego from the beginning, now it would have been in a much better condition in terms of income and market share. At that time Android market share was not as high as now, and Meego would have had a great chance to stand out and be a major player in the competition today.
But I wish them good luck, and I hope that the patents that were gifted to them today (by Nokia) would help them.
7. akita256 (Posts: 80; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
Like to know how they plan to do that. I would assume Nokia owns the rights to MeeGo.....not ex-employees.
8. tedkord (Posts: 3953; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
MeeGo is licensed under GNU and free licensing terms.
11. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Isn't the Swipe Harmattan UI still a Nokia property?
41. thebest (Posts: 226; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
i think nokia will give(or will be forced to give) a free license for that because nokia has dicontinued using that technology
45. poddey (Posts: 75; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
I hope so. Meego without it looks a lot like Android.
I'm surprised Intel dumped it to develop the Touchwiz-looking Tizen with Samsung. Crazy when the Harmattan UI looks so good!
24. dickwyn (Posts: 553; Member since: 07 May 2012)
but still in oreder to succeed they need a hardware aib
50. qwertypoor (Posts: 72; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
Yea doesn't Nokia still own Meego and/or Intel hope Nokia uses it again after their contract is up
13. SleepingOz (Posts: 2487; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
That was a stupid move from Nokia to drop Meego.
Good luck Jolla!
14. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
This is rallya great news!! meego is a n awesome OS that the costumers and the developers can seebut nokia nokia cant see its potential!
this is truely amazing!! best of luck to jolla! but i hope the new meego smartphone wont infringe nokia's patents! theyshould make more elegant looking phones!
but since meego is a trade mark of nokia,,, i think they will use the "Jolla" as the new name of meego! :) a Jolla OS!!!
best of luck jolla!!! you got my support! make some more awesome looking mind blowing meego/jolla devices!!
15. allen83 (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
I would be really be happy to see another Meego phone. They should build a phone that would be nice and superp quality. Like for example making the audio good without distortion and the camera should also be also good and also the overall build it should be very stable in terms of drops and scratches.
Will wait for another Meego phone or the new Tizen phone. Thanks and good luck!
16. christianqwerty (Posts: 460; Member since: 05 May 2011)
It would be cool if blackberry dropped BB10 and picked up the Meego OS
29. rnk.khch (Posts: 86; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Very nice!!! That would definitely save blackberry's butt!!!
17. Droidude (Posts: 17; Member since: 04 Jul 2010)
Yea, I would. It looked really promising. I was surprised that Nokia went with WP7 to be honest. I don't know the economics of all of it but it seems like Nokia should've persued it.
28. rnk.khch (Posts: 86; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Agree. Nokia probably sold more N9s than Windows phones in Q4 2011. N9 was quite popular. Nokia should have kept N9, and it would have probably earned more money now.
18. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
Love to see this OS given a fighting chance. It will be a strong competitor, if this is true.
22. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
its true just check their twitter and linkin accounts! twitter.com/jollamobile
19. fongy (Posts: 41; Member since: 09 Feb 2010)
This is just what the market needs, a real underdog, grass-roots competitor...
The main thing it needs is a manufacturer with handset design / specs / marketing expertise to really get behind them...
Doesn't matter who - just someone...
Whoever it is willing to take the chance, could land something really big...
Without this? It won't even appear in stores, etc. it'll be lost forever...
20. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 642; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I could only think of one manufacturer, im sure Samsung wouldnt mind trying it out, since they run on almost every OS (apart frm iOS ofcos).
21. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i think they will make there own phones!
42. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4650; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
40. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
Wasn't LG looking into making a MeeGo handset? They aren't doing so hot with their Android lineup. Could work.
46. poddey (Posts: 75; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
I wouldn't want Samsung, LG or HTC slapping their Touchwiz, Optimus or Sense UIs on top of Meego.
I think Sony would be a good fit.
23. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
now this is competition! if meego can prove itseft that it deserve to be the OS of nokia's smartphones, it will be a big slap on the face of Elop!! nokia's plans are flops!!! sorry nokia! i got my support on jolla now! you kill to many amazing OS start with symbian your decisions are the worst now!
26. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5664; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
This is great! Wish the best of luck to Jolla! Fck Nokia CEO ELOP and M$. Will be looking foward to their device.
30. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 661; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
Nokia ur last days are coming ............
32. fenixsama (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
oh my. i sincerely hope this is one rumor that is true. i got myself the N9 coz I thought it was unique and beautiful as well. imagine my disappointment when the lumia 800 came out. totally pissed when lumia 900 emerged. hate it. can u just imagine what the people behind N9 felt when MS copied the phone's design and dumped meego like garbage and replaced it with windows? how awful.
34. imran_khan0786 (Posts: 61; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
I love Nokia with good software like meego. This really agreat news.
Best of luck Nokia and jolla.
36. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Well, i do believe the reason Intel partnered up with Samsung for tizen was because Nokia left them high and dry with meego, it would be interesting to see if Intel reinvest now that someone is trying to revive it.
54. MeoCao (unregistered)
Elop was instrumental in Android's rise b-c he destroy MeeGo in a swoop. MeeGo would have been serious rival to Android b-c they are both open source Linux-based OS.
So Elop is not all bad!
48. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 769; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
hope the next Nokia CEO is smart brings back all the good and skillfull engineers that elop fired and teams up with Jolla i hope nokia looks back and sees potential in meego
49. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 769; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
does anyone know when steven elop is due to leave if there is a date like CEO reselection or something
53. MeoCao (unregistered)
Elop is not gonna leave, the board picked him b-c they wanted Windows Phone. Elop is merely a tool and firing Elop means they were wrong. For Elop to go all board's members must go first.
52. MeoCao (unregistered)
Can any1 tell me what MeeGo will offer more than Android?
without a mature ecosystem how can it survive?
57. SleepingOz (Posts: 2487; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Probably the same things but with a different UI.
55. mqandeel (Posts: 3; Member since: 03 Apr 2012)
I'll be the first to own the next me ego phone. But please, call it Maemo instead of Me ego, in memory for days of glory.
56. andyboi_ph (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
wow, N9 is a wonderful creation. It should not be discontinued in the first place.