Everything we know about the Windows Phone 8.1 update
0. phoneArena 02 Apr 2014, 01:44 posted on
We have been hearing some rumors here and there about what to expect in the upcoming Windows Phone 8.1 update, but ever since Microsoft released the SDK for the update, the rumors surrounding the update have positively exploded. We have been posting a couple articles every day with new information that has been gleaned from the SDK or other sources, so it is time to do a rumor roundup to make it easier to sort through what we know so far about Windows Phone 8.1...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. X.E.R.O. (unregistered)
WP steppin' it up!
27. rihel_95 (Posts: 281; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
And i quote "over 200 new features" hell yeah
43. joey_sfb (Posts: 4254; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Please show me where is the 200 features. I counted. One voice assistant, two action center, three settings... four changes to windows store... five more setting. ..
The bottom line its still a mobile OS on its own not a full fledge windows 8.1 OS.
Microsoft!, please give us the real deal.
29. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 415; Member since: 07 May 2012)
loving this,wp is a refreshing os,i love android but a new streamlined os is always welcome,might consider it in the future
4. Credo (Posts: 712; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Loving all of this!! Windows Phone is now finally an adult :)
And i need some help, i'm gonna buy the Nokia Lumia 1520, but which color??? White or Yellow? I'm thinking about Yellow, in combination with Cyan Live Tiles to really let the device pop out, i think this combination of colors is really awesome and fit together. But on the other hand, White is also very nice ... But because the White one doesn't have black buttons on the side ( yeah i know ) it's kinda a dealbreaker....
Come on give me some suggestions! :D appreciate !
PS: So sad Nokia didn't released this beast in Cyan.
15. lucid.brat (Posts: 104; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Go for yellow it is beautiful..i"m also using yellow 1020...the problem is with yellow is of themes because only few themes looks good with yellow as compare to white and most of the time i had used yellow theme only...bt nyways yellow is really good
6. Penny (Posts: 1398; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Great article. Good collection of the rumored and leaked features, and good explanations of what functionality exactly is expected out of those features.
7. elitewolverine (Posts: 3353; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
Quite the list, more like wp9 than 8.1.
Glad to see that it is not just a catchup game for this update and if all turns true and more, it will be a proper update that many other OS fans have banged wp for months about.
Definitely looking towards Cortana, hope the name stays, we know the voice has, and I hope to see how it integrates with xbox and win later on.
9. Credo (Posts: 712; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Yeah more like Windows Phone 9 then Windows Phone 8.1 lol :D And the name of Cortana will stay, there was also leaked from the SDK that you can give it any name you want.
13. lucid.brat (Posts: 104; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Tons of feature....i think still there will lot more which has been leaked or anyone has info about....so wp user brace ur self for fun because this April would change everything....its really getting difficult for wp user to "Be Patient " as well as for me
14. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 936; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
I have switched to Andoid, but definitely will be back as soon as Windows Phone 8.1 comes around. Lots of great additions, fixes and general improvements. MONSTER UPDATE for sure, and should really make a new slew of devices that much harder to resist.
16. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2024; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Windows 8.1 is looking very promising , good work Microsoft
36. corporateJP (Posts: 2341; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Notification bar, separate volume controls, and speed dial are the things that impress me the most.
This is one exciting update!
19. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Can I unlock a Window's 8.1 mobile OS phone's bootloader? Can I flash a custom ROM onto it? If the answer to these two questions is yes, and I can get a phablet Nokia version, then I might be sold on this...
20. SAO101789 (Posts: 123; Member since: 10 Feb 2014)
I'll leave my itunes media to a ipad and/or a mac. Nokia and 8.1 make me want to sell my iphone. But no contract stuff I'm with T mobile and sticking to it. Organized video playback please be promising that's the only thing I'm worried about, and moving my music to my phone to.
22. salehsobhan (Posts: 15; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
But still missing the two things I wanted the most a File Manager and Bangla Keyboard support. It would have been perfect. But still great update. Must congratulate Microsoft for listening to the consumers.
25. darnail (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Feb 2014)
Front-facing system changes
38. salehsobhan (Posts: 15; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
OOOh, I missed that. You and microsoft are making my dreams come true. Thanks buddy.
26. sbw44 (Posts: 425; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
What do they mean with "WP8.1 will allow for 3rd party SMS apps and changing the default messaging app"????
31. Gemmol (Posts: 655; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Just like Droid where you can use a different app to text from
39. elitewolverine (Posts: 3353; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
It means when you press the messaging app you can select which app it opens. Like how the camera button you can select a different app
28. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1335; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
As a Windows 8 smart phone owner I salute Microsoft soft ware Engineers for all these new features that will be on my smart phone when I upgrade it to windows phone 8.1 However the App I think that will come to Windows 8.1 smart phones that will really make a huge increase in the sales of Windows smart phones is an app that will enable Windows 8.1 smart phones to run "Android App" The "buestacks" app out now enables Windows 8/8.1 legacy tablets to run Android apps. if MS or the Bluestacks developers makes one for Windows8.1 smart phones and it works well. WOW WEE Windows 8.1 smart phones will sell way better than
they will without it.
30. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 415; Member since: 07 May 2012)
bring some more games,and more apps,loving windows phone from day one,just need to add some missing features and it's to see Microsoft listened and now drastically adding alot of features
32. kamen (Posts: 87; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
It looks GREAT! Just hope that Facecrap can be uninstalled, otherwise... ~!@#
34. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1335; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
looks like I was right when I said that now that Microsoft Windows 8 smart phones can run all the High tech Gear Apple iphones and Android smart phones now use. Microsoft can do what it does best and that is make good software for it's devices. it's about time too!
35. tanthien (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Feb 2014)
Nice update anyway, hope my lumia 620 get this update
P.s hope that cortana voice assistant have a good voice feedback, not a crappy one on my note 3
40. susweta (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Wht about smartwatch support??will there be anything new to this update for smartwatch support??And anything updated to the vibration mode as it does vibrate only once when I receive a call on Ringing mode so tend to miss some of my important calls..It really puts me down to face such basic problems even with such a beauty(Nokia lumia 1520)
41. Diezparda (Posts: 340; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
i never try WinMo device and never owned them, but they seems promising
42. Odiin (Posts: 333; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
WOW! Cant wait anymore, Just release it MS+NOKIA,
45. Gothbeard (Posts: 51; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
After upgrading from desktop W8 to W8.1, I wouldn't touch a Windows phone if they gave me one for free.
47. LuckyS (Posts: 154; Member since: 07 Dec 2013)
Too late and never can be as good and powerfull as tasker+autovoice+google now system.