Even with its purchase of Nokia, Microsoft won't forget its Windows Phone partners
0. phoneArena 03 Sep 2013, 02:14 posted on
A big name tech company with a mobile OS buys one of its leading partners and questions arise about whether these other partners will get frozen out; sounds like Microsoft's purchase of Nokia, but we're really talking about Google's purchase in 2011 of Motorola. Yes, the very same questions asked back then about Google are now being asked about Microsoft...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
M$ is well known for it's policy of EMBRACE,EXTEND and EXTERMINATE.
10. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 217; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Good One Dude. I guess thats what happened to Nokia. I wonder what direction Nokia would have taken, if Elop had never entered Nokia.
12. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1474; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I sometimes thinks to myself that what if Nokia put all those efforts into their Symbian or meego, what will they achieve??? Think about it pureview camera,Lumia design(N9 design to be precise) ,all those software exclusives(all those effort nokia put on to developers for games and apps for WP),Nokia map service. They could have keep up with competition with quad core processor and 1080p screen etc.
I know MS help nokia with their $$$s.
2. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Let's see how well they'll treat Nokia. But I don't want the Nokia Lumia name change.
4. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
I agree. It has been the brand we've always known for a while. And i guess MS won't be stupid to change it. That's for sure.
3. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1474; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Support it or not most people prefer nokia when it comes to WP. And many OEM's are losing interest in WP because they can't compete against nokia Lumia series.
WP market is just like android market only one OEM take most profit which is Nokia.
this is more like google brought Samsung instead of Motorola.
things will get more interesting from now on...
9. lalalaman (Posts: 631; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
I wish good things to happen to Nokia.......also to speed up a bit
14. kanagadeepan (Posts: 927; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Yes, definitely good things to happen to Nokia and sh!t going to happen for other WP phone makers....
5. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 385; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
So finally fandroids yelling about Nokia making Android phone has remained a dream.So now we have 3 major competitors in mobile industry i.e.Apple,Googorola & Microkia.
11. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
So goodbye Nokia.
17. night_elf (Posts: 45; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
Samsung, not a major competitor in mobile industry?
6. veer.d (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Jul 2013)
Now no OEM or consumer is considering half baked OS.People buy wp8 just because of NOKIA(including me).Now no one give a sh** to arrogant microsoft. I think people in Finland going to ELOP because NOKIA is their national pride.
15. kanagadeepan (Posts: 927; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Now Nokia is NOT AT ALL a pride for Finland, its just a sister co for M$, an US Company...
8. Topcat488 (Posts: 1396; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I saw this coming, when M$ first started giving Nokia those welfare checks in the beginning.
13. kanagadeepan (Posts: 927; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
What happened with Surface Tablet is coming to WP Phones too....
16. kanagadeepan (Posts: 927; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Even Microsoft Executive VP Terry Myerson is trying very very hard to hide his laugh in this pic...
19. darkvadervip (Posts: 365; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Lets be real. Stop commenting about Symbian or meego when both platforms had potential but were slush when it comes to speed and performance. Both had terrible lag and touch response compared to android and ios. It was either stay with those programs and be like blackberry or take on wp loose money but regain it with more in the end or go android and fight with all the other Android phone makers. You all don't see it but Motorola is going to be the main Android device as time goes by just like Samsung is going to push Tizen more than android eventually.
33. ZeroCide (Posts: 777; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
DUDE!!!! I think you hit the nail on the head. I have totally see that happening.
20. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Their partners are screwed!!! We all know that Microsoft has been playing favorites with Nokia. Who will want to buy a HTC or Samsung WP now?
22. Dunknown (Posts: 84; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
What have you done Stephen Elop! All I wanted is Nokia to be Nokia. Nokia has been more than 20 years in mobile phone making and just sold of for $7.2 billion like that. Please wake up and see the world. Why not be like few years back. Coming out phones with multiple OS market. Like Linux and Symbian. Why not Nokia try to take two OS like Android and MIcrosoft? Selling to Microsoft is a no go. Really upset me by accepting only $7.2 billion for mobile platform. Why not view yourself as a infiniti?
23. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Their partners need to do a better job in creating the experience WP deserves. MS did this to show them the way much like they are doing with the Surface because clearly OEMs no nothing about creating a unique product without help.
24. kindlefireowner (Posts: 503; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
As a Nokia shareholder, I will be selling my stock today. I made money, so I can't complain. Thanks Nokia.
25. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1163; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
thats it. im buying nokia car tires instead of phones.
26. papss (unregistered)
I'm excited for this move only because Nokia can focus on making great products versus cash flow for the time being.
27. abhijithkumar.nit (Posts: 47; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
Google acquired motorola for 12.5 billion$---Microsoft acquired Nokia for 7.17 billion$
Don't you guys think the later is under valued??
28. Topcat488 (Posts: 1396; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
You gotta add on to what M$ already put into Nokia, those billions aren't counted.
29. papss (unregistered)
Still a great deal no matter how you look at it