Elderly thief fooled by technology: woman threw away stolen smartphone thinking it was broken for having no keys
What we would blame you for regardless of your age and country of residence is stealing. That’s exactly what the elderly woman did - stealing a phone from a store. What happens next is comical.
The woman threw away the phone after she found no physical keys on it and thought it was broken. Still, she got caught as the security surveillance cameras at the store caught the robbery.
In the police investigation that followed the woman admitted she couldn’t use the phone since she was challenged by its technical complexity. Also, she thought it was broken as it lacked the keys.
The woman is facing up to five years in prison. Now, can you name one tech executive who laughed at the idea of a touch-only phone back in the day?
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
why am I pick iDevice in the 1st place :(
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
Maybe I will consider to get nexus, playbook or the upcoming bb10 will no physical button on it next time, is it a good idea?
22. metalpoet (unregistered)
Here's a thought! For people that are this stupid in the world, and especially if they are that damn old! Shoot them and be done with it. Hell that woman would die the first day in prison...why waste tax payers money!?!?!?!?
If people cannot acept that technology is destined to advance incredibly fast then they are stuck in the past and therefore useless!
10. s.mrabet (Posts: 117; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
idevive DOES have a physical key.... i guess it was a nexus 4 or WP
18. Droiddoes (unregistered)
OUCH! She got me right in the grammar!
3. darthinvader (Posts: 63; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Man, if she ever reads the Russian translated "Minority Report", she would go nuts!!!
4. MC1123 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
lol..this is hilarious! let me guess what phone is it, its an android/WP phone with no button just capacitive! (since most of the phone today rely on physical button, iPhone and even symbian)
5. nokia4ever (Posts: 9; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
how could a 66 years old woman (even not a man) could be able to steal a phone from a russian store i cant believe this story
6. wendygarett (unregistered)
I think the woman is innocent... Maybe she realized the phone is broke and decided to help the store to throw it away... Who knows?
11. s.mrabet (Posts: 117; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
exactly! no one will ever think she is there to steal... so they dont really watch her
8. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
ok but why five years in prison?? for something as petty as that!?
16. cripton805 (Posts: 944; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
Well in the US, its a felony if the item is worth over $400. I believe it.
12. Shubham412302 (Posts: 298; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
5yrs jail for 66yrs lady is too much....
20. lonewolf2873 (Posts: 40; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Why is it TOO much?? What happened to the saying "do the crime, do the time"?
If a person commits a crime, no matter the magnitude, its still punishable as A CRIME.
The people with your thought process contributes to why our society here in states is so bad.
As far as I'm concerned, the death penalty should apply to all adult criminal acts. Sure would make you think twice before breaking the law!
24. drzonw (Posts: 11; Member since: 14 Jan 2013)
UP to five years. For something like that people usually get fined, nothing more. I'd be surprised if someone would go through the trouble of putting her in Jail.
14. remixfa (Posts: 13936; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the last line was a reference to RIM and/ or nokia.
17. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 864; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
She was looking for a key to unlock it hahaha
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6583; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Keys for what? This was a stupid article