Elderly thief fooled by technology: woman threw away stolen smartphone thinking it was broken for having no keys
What we would blame you for regardless of your age and country of residence is stealing. That’s exactly what the elderly woman did - stealing a phone from a store. What happens next is comical.
The woman threw away the phone after she found no physical keys on it and thought it was broken. Still, she got caught as the security surveillance cameras at the store caught the robbery.
In the police investigation that followed the woman admitted she couldn’t use the phone since she was challenged by its technical complexity. Also, she thought it was broken as it lacked the keys.
The woman is facing up to five years in prison. Now, can you name one tech executive who laughed at the idea of a touch-only phone back in the day?
1. wendygarett (limited) 5 days ago posted on 25 Jan 2013, 05:29 1 15
why am I pick iDevice in the 1st place :(
2. wendygarett (limited) 5 days ago posted on 25 Jan 2013, 05:35 1 11
Maybe I will consider to get nexus, playbook or the upcoming bb10 will no physical button on it next time, is it a good idea?
22. metalpoet (unregistered) posted on 26 Jan 2013, 18:25 0 1
Here's a thought! For people that are this stupid in the world, and especially if they are that damn old! Shoot them and be done with it. Hell that woman would die the first day in prison...why waste tax payers money!?!?!?!?
If people cannot acept that technology is destined to advance incredibly fast then they are stuck in the past and therefore useless!
23. jinxed posted on 26 Jan 2013, 23:28 0 0
ur no one 2 judge!
10. s.mrabet posted on 25 Jan 2013, 06:23 1 2
idevive DOES have a physical key.... i guess it was a nexus 4 or WP
3. darthinvader posted on 25 Jan 2013, 05:40 4 0
Man, if she ever reads the Russian translated "Minority Report", she would go nuts!!!
4. MC1123 posted on 25 Jan 2013, 05:40 0 1
lol..this is hilarious! let me guess what phone is it, its an android/WP phone with no button just capacitive! (since most of the phone today rely on physical button, iPhone and even symbian)
5. nokia4ever posted on 25 Jan 2013, 05:51 1 4
how could a 66 years old woman (even not a man) could be able to steal a phone from a russian store i cant believe this story
6. wendygarett (limited) 5 days ago posted on 25 Jan 2013, 05:59 1 7
I think the woman is innocent... Maybe she realized the phone is broke and decided to help the store to throw it away... Who knows?
11. s.mrabet posted on 25 Jan 2013, 06:26 1 0
exactly! no one will ever think she is there to steal... so they dont really watch her
8. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 25 Jan 2013, 06:15 11 2
ok but why five years in prison?? for something as petty as that!?
16. cripton805 posted on 25 Jan 2013, 11:01 2 0
Well in the US, its a felony if the item is worth over $400. I believe it.
20. lonewolf2873 posted on 25 Jan 2013, 17:22 2 0
Why is it TOO much?? What happened to the saying "do the crime, do the time"?
If a person commits a crime, no matter the magnitude, its still punishable as A CRIME.
The people with your thought process contributes to why our society here in states is so bad.
As far as I'm concerned, the death penalty should apply to all adult criminal acts. Sure would make you think twice before breaking the law!
24. drzonw posted on 27 Jan 2013, 15:25 0 0
UP to five years. For something like that people usually get fined, nothing more. I'd be surprised if someone would go through the trouble of putting her in Jail.
14. remixfa posted on 25 Jan 2013, 07:38 2 1
the last line was a reference to RIM and/ or nokia.
17. Reluctant_Human posted on 25 Jan 2013, 11:29 2 0
She was looking for a key to unlock it hahaha
19. InspectorGadget80 posted on 25 Jan 2013, 12:28 0 1
Keys for what? This was a stupid article