Eighth grade student's Apple iPhone bursts into flames while in her pocket
0. phoneArena 31 Jan 2014, 16:17 posted on
Anyone who doubts that the Apple iPhone is still a hot item need only to read this story. This morning, an eighth grader at Kennebunk Middle School in Maine, was walking in the hallway of the school when things got a little warm for her.Apparently, the unnamed student's iPhone burst into flames while still in her pocket. Luckily, she had the presence of mind to "stop, drop and roll", and that maneuver might have prevented her from receiving more serious injuries...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. domfonusr (Posts: 372; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
Well, it's not like one more flaming iPhone will change anything, right?
62. techaman (unregistered)
i bet you get this on fox news for them to investigate people being killed by there iphones and kids burned that will kill apple sales. i wonder how much they are paying for them to keep it off the air.
72. domfonusr (Posts: 372; Member since: 17 Jan 2014)
Some Fox News anchors, along with Rush Limbaugh, seem to think that the iPhone is a great symbol of conservatism, and that conservative people should pick iPhones because that's just the most American thing to do. I don't know why the media does this kind of garbage... telling their viewers that they should get iPhones because that makes them more 'conservative'. It is really ridiculous. No wonder we don't hear about this kind of thing on Fox News!
64. deewinc (Posts: 194; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
You must have been one of the guyz who thought, iPhones electrocuting and killing people were as a result of fake accessories. Now that the cases of exploding iphones are being reported in Apple's home country; there you go. o_O
10. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
let me finish the sentence - idiot with an iphone....had money to burn, along with their phone...
3. GeekMovement (Posts: 1587; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Hm.. I'm really curious and interested as to knowing the reason it bursted into flames this time. Something's fishy...
4. apple4never (Posts: 993; Member since: 08 May 2013)
why the hell does a 13 year old have an iPhone?
9. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
In California, dumb parents buy their kids iphones quite a bit, then they call in and whine that their kid lost the phone at school...
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You live in Maine, this story was about a little girl in Maine. Why on earth did you callout Cali dude? I'm just not understanding that. Am I to believe people in Maine don't buy their kids iPhones?
17. javac (Posts: 102; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
didnt you know? all iphones sales come from california alone
28. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I live in Cali now and have lived in Maine for many years from about ages 2-21
48. Scott93274 (Posts: 1435; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
California locals never refer to their state as "Cali" :P .... absolutely no relevance to the subject matter so I shall shut up now. (Proud Android user)
29. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Maine has far less population than Cali - I called out Cali because it happens here, and it does happen else wheres...next time I will call out 48 of the 50 states - my bad :-)
16. nothingmuch (Posts: 183; Member since: 03 May 2013)
I know right, iphone's are way to dumbed down for a girl that age! Just kidding :) poor girl
54. Ashoaib (Posts: 2501; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
its not about good taste, this is called marketing(mind controlling) which is much easier on kids....
45. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6811; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
no 8-13yr old doesn't need a iPhone. most kids now and days are spoiled rotten
74. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
so now you have a glimpse where is our entire plannet headed to:-
Slavery to the system willingly
56. Finalflash (Posts: 1946; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
That kinda was the pretend new market for their pretend new product segment with the 5c.
58. Ravens (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Nov 2013)
Haha I like this question. My question is why does this 13 year old even need a phone. Boy have times changed. I don't know if I'm just old school, But 13 is still not an age I think my kids need such a device haha, unless they plan to pay their own bills. Ya ya, I know the typical arguments like emergencies blah blah, still not convinced though :P
61. apple4never (Posts: 993; Member since: 08 May 2013)
well i understand why they may need one, if they usually stay at school late or go to friends house and stuff to let their parents know but a feature phone is fine for that they don't need an iPhone
63. techaman (unregistered)
all little kids have them now its for music and instagram. adults have android windows ect.
5. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Seems darkjedii was right. iPhones are still the hottest mobiles out.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Thanx for the shoutout, glad to see I'm on your mind, I do rock, but take this up with apple not me. I do F'n rock though. You also left out "k".
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
They was already a darkjedii on here.
42. tedkord (Posts: 5571; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Wait. So you're just a copycat?!! Darkjedi should sue you!
65. techaman (unregistered)
but you are following apple nut to butt and most likely on twitter following people so you copy the same user name with 1 letter different basically what apple does change a small thing and call it new and innovative.
70. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
As I said, I'm not the following type. And I copied no one, get lost.
7. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I lived in Maine - cold place - maybe she just wanted to roast some marshmellows
8. apple4never (Posts: 993; Member since: 08 May 2013)
maybe instead of 2 and 4k displays in phones this year OEM's should be working on making their phones fireproof. with the crazy processors in these things they WILL get hot and its a matter of time before someone else gets hurt
12. wilsong17 (Posts: 1127; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
Will all the power on my note 3 I still feel safe :)
15. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Wait! Is this really apple4never, or did someone jack your screen name like they did mine awhile back?
20. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 4746; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Has hell frozen over or something? I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.
38. apple4never (Posts: 993; Member since: 08 May 2013)
hell hasn't frozen but up in canada its dam cold lol
40. apple4never (Posts: 993; Member since: 08 May 2013)
sure is pretty, did you see pics from the ice storm? that stuffs beautifulhttp://torontoist.com/2013/12/
ice-storm-2013-torontos-deep-freeze/toronto-ice-storm-2a-evidence-leslie-spit/?include=296828,296834,29 6831,296832,296833,296835,2968 36,296837,296838,296839,296840 ,296841,296842,296844
75. haseebzahid (Posts: 1842; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
because of iPhones i cant eat real apples that grow on trees "had to say it othervise people think i am eating iphones"
66. techaman (unregistered)
thats why there is sapphire glass no burning. lol
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That bites, hope the kids ok. Apple replace her phone.
33. Insignificant (Posts: 190; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Who would round 2 with a phone that just burned them?
If Apple did replace it, that would be some kind of sick joke.
Medical bills should be covered and compensation should be paid, and a serious investigation launched.
Even if there are other factors at play in this case or at least some cases, this is getting concerningly too common.
36. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm darkkjedii, you should copy, and paste this in an email to apple. You do know they make the iPhone right?
67. techaman (unregistered)
dont worry there gonna sue them for more then a phone. and i dont think there gonna get another iphone this time.
18. papss (unregistered)
This is going to happen unfortunately. Doesn't make it alright that a little kid got hurt but batteries are little bombs and for the amount of phones on all platforms this is going to happen no matter the the company
24. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I do wonder what the heck causes this stuff though. I've been lucky enough to never have this happen. It's odd, I do everything they say not to do, and she's just walking thru the hall and gets injured. Crazy man...
46. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2056; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
The worst I've had happen was have a battery bulge a bit. I'm talking about maybe 1/16" each way at most. The easy test was to put the battery on a flat smooth surface and spin it, if it only spun a half turn it was fine, if it kept spinning it was replaced. Nothing to serious, but they still recalled the batteries and replaced them free of charge. A little more expensive to do that with the phones today that have non removable batteries.
The only thing I could figure here other than a defective battery or charging circuit, would be if something conductive got into the charging port and shorted the contacts. Kinda doubt it though, those ports are pretty slim.
47. darkkjedii (Posts: 13506; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's gotta be pretty scary for a kid, iPhones since the 4s are designed to charge to 100%, the discharge to 95% and repeat as long as it's plugged up. She reportedly was just Walking with hers. Apple would hear about this.
69. techaman (unregistered)
what would not cause a fire or spark or heat i work on building these phones for extra cash and i am an engineer by trade it would be failing solder points come off short and battery heats up cant dissipate correctly and boom ignition.
68. techaman (unregistered)
not so much any other phone just apple killing people even if its 3rd party plug or what ever you should not worry about being killed burned or anything else, what if it was a lady in a car pant caught fire she crashes kills kids and family then what still no investigation
23. AfterShock (Posts: 3463; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
A one off here and there does not mean crap other then a fluke chance.
Even I can't knock this.
25. Gamas_K (Posts: 64; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
It's not a surprise actually that 13 year old have an iPhone (in my country) but how come the phone burst into flame?