Educated forecast points to 750x1334 pixels panel for the 4.7" iPhone 6, 1242x2208 resolution for the 5.5-incher
0. phoneArena 25 Aug 2014, 03:00 posted on
When Apple changed the iPhone's screen resolution for the first time with the iPhone 4, it went for exactly double the horizontal and vertical pixel count of the predecessor, without causing much trouble for developers. Later on, when the inevitable happened, and the iPhone 5's screen diagonal grew to 4 inches, Apple just increased the vertical resolution count, leaving the 640 horizontal pixels intact, which led to banding effects in some apps, but most were quickly rewritten for the new resolution anyway...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
No, it will be 960*1704 and 1280*2272 each, resulting in 416 and 475 ppi each.
4. neela_akaash (Posts: 648; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
750p!! Wow! Now iphone users will have a display with more than the standard 740p resolution... Such an astonishing flagship spec...lol
6. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
750p is groundbreaking, that's innovation!
33. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7043; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Apple will never go beyond 720p. They will stick at 620p or what ever the hell is their NON HD retina screen is called. I found it hard to believe.
8. BLUEBLASTER (Posts: 179; Member since: 23 Feb 2014)
No there will be no point in having 416 on a 4.7 screen for Apple.
11. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1386; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
We'll see to it, but as usual you'll probably be wrong...
2. techperson211 (Posts: 1002; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Full hd. Hopefully battery will improved though I'm not expecting it. It's always the downside of apple. Good luck apple lovers.
7. Settings (Posts: 1249; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
With those screens, fragmentation will be the next problem of Apple.
30. mrblah (Posts: 555; Member since: 22 Jan 2013)
I don't think so, with Swift, when you are done making your app, it will have options to make it for all the screen sizes preset, who would takes weeks or months to write an app just to make it for one or a few of the screen sizes?
34. Settings (Posts: 1249; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Exactly, none of these apps will be optimized to run in a selected device. Its only a minor problem btw.
35. Finalflash (Posts: 2194; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
No....that isn't how it works, there is no "magic" make for all button. The thing that Apple fans made fun of Android for so long is just that, scaled layouts from one device to the next (although it was all largely BS anyway). Now Apple is taking a more android approach with points instead of pixels (display independent pixels or DP are the Android equivalents which have been there since day one on Android).
9. SemiFinal (Posts: 73; Member since: 26 Jul 2014)
Finally end people constantly complaining about screen resolution.
10. NationGuettaTR (Posts: 38; Member since: 28 Dec 2013)
Same s*** with more expensive price LOL. iDiots must be happy about it! :D
18. xperian (Posts: 193; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
You are idiot yourself for calling people using a phone you don't like idiots. Why don't just let everyone use whatever they want without being called idiot?
27. NationGuettaTR (Posts: 38; Member since: 28 Dec 2013)
The iDiot users thinks their phones are too innovative LOL. That's what make them iDiot. Even iPhones won't started using NFC while Android uses it for years. I don't have any problems with people i'm laughing at these iDiots okay? :)
39. pulkit1 (Posts: 354; Member since: 03 Jul 2014)
lol you are a dumbass for calling people idiots on the bases of what smartphone they own.
13. GreekGeek (Posts: 1109; Member since: 22 Mar 2014)
720p,800p,1080p,1200p, 1440p... those are the standards I believe (16:9, 16:10)
Why did Apple stubbornly deviate from these? Any logical reason behind it?
19. xondk (Posts: 548; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
No freaking clue, it makes absolutely no sense as those resolutions are more or less world wide standards.
But for some reason apple wants its own....odd resolutions.
I mean once we settled on the 16:9 aspect ratio they pretty much became standard, and that ratio seems to be ideal for most situations, and others are more specialized.
The honest only real reason I can see for using non standard is that they can claim it as a higher expense even though I don't think it is, and bump up their product price. Which I really hope isn't what they are doing, because other product creators in general use apple as a 'how high can we price our stuff' guide.
21. uchihakurtz (Posts: 316; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Cuz Apple like being a hipster, they don't wanna go mainstream.
15. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3573; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Wow Innovative resolutions... iGreat.....
17. amiaq (Posts: 503; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Wow! My eyes will be blinded by those rows of HD iCons!!
20. D.Lamore (Posts: 198; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
Iphone is trailing behind in terms of productivity, customisation and multitasking. What else can iphone do rather than browsing , playing games and music. If you say you love tech but went to choose iphone5 over top andriod phones like Z2, S5, G3 , M8 and others , then you must be brain washed.
22. amiaq (Posts: 503; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
They're patenting something called "iPeePregnancy App", which also co-incidentally comes out with water resistant iPhone. This requires someone to urinate on the iPhone - then TaDa!! 1 minute later it will give a result whether you're pregnant or not.
23. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 163; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
4 inches medium side bazels
4.7 great side bazels
5.5 go back again with aweful bazels
24. Symon_Fleece (Posts: 323; Member since: 30 May 2014)
Apple still keeping the weird resolution for their iphones
29. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
It'll be funny watching all these small screen noobs have to stretch to reach icons on their app drawer/home screen.
That should result in a few screens being replaced.
I'd say JL & Myx will have to contort his/her bodies into odd shapes to get these into their skinny jeans at the coffee shop, hopefully he doesn't spill any drinks with these huge big screen monsters.
32. greathero1 (Posts: 547; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Well if the resolution for the 5.5 inch iPhone holds true, then I will take it for a couple of month test drive. The screen resolution will basically be the deciding factor whether I go with the Note 4 or iP Air.
36. dushyant (Posts: 94; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)
What is their problem, why can't they just use standard resolutions. How can they possibly so stubborn.
Stupid and ignorant.
38. GalaxyS5 (banned) (Posts: 430; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
Even though I have FHD on a 5.1" helluva screen I still think that huge pixel numbers is truly overkill.
40. fzacek (Posts: 2469; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Why couldn't they just do 1080p and 1440p??? Stupid Apple and its non-mainstream measurements...
41. Canaan (Posts: 266; Member since: 25 May 2014)
We'll see on September 9th, remember this is an assumption from a person who says he's received second hand or third hand info (according to Forbes article). Hopefully it turns out to be one of the first two claims that was either 416 PPI or 360 PPI.
P.S. I'm referring to the 4.7 inch model, don't care for the phablet version.